The Most Embarrassing Loss in College Football History

UNT 90 Grad

...that is what the YouTube poster “Pro Sports Central” called this anyway when they posted it YESTERDAY (7/10/18).   Not sure why they chose now to post about this game that happened almost 3 years ago.  I just happened to stumble onto it.  #olddenton

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Lovely Take 1

I had almost succeeded in erasing that day from my mind...the video brought those memories of that day flooding back.  The pain exceeds that of another terrible experience I had...

200w.gif

• Haha 1

I remember the players standing around looking into the stands at that game.  I couldn't understand how they could not give a rats ass, if nothing else play for personal pride. It was a dark day in UNT history to be the worse it had to be really bad. It was so bad i thought about turning in my UNT season tickets and buying TCU ones instead...wait that has already been done before.

We paid that team a lot of money to kicked our ass at home.

Edited by southsideguy

If I remember correctly, the word was out about Mac's termination at tailgating.  I don't recall if it was before or after the Mean Green March, but I'm tempted to say it was right after they passed by.

38 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

A lot of pain to get where we are today ! Maybe worth it?

The rumor mill says Mac was gonna be canned regardless, so I say NO NOT WORTH IT.

It would be a MAYBE if his job was on the line.

All that said, I don't think the national scene cared too much about this game.

• Thanks 1

Portland State is certainly our most embarrassing game every. I knew we were going to get beat badly, and stayed home that night. But, I wouldn't label it the most embarrassing ever. I think that dubious honor goes to the 2003 Texas A&M@Oklahoma game. Oklahoma was up 77-0 in the 3rd quarter when they called off the dogs. It was terrible. I remember OU driving down inside A&M's 10 on every possession in the 4th quarter, and then handing the ball to their back and him just standing there until a defender tackled him. It was truly embarrassing. I hate A&M, and I was embarrassed for them. I think in the Pantheon of college football that game tops the list.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Rice 2008.

I don't know that the team quit during that Rice game so much as that team was so profoundly under coached that it was just that much worse than Rice.  I remember the Rice coach apologizing for the score because he couldn't even stop his seventeenth string from scoring in that game. 

As to the Portland St. game, I stuck around for the duration.  Went down to the front with @TheTastyGreek where we started making hypothetical wagers on over/unders on the number of plays Portland would need on any given possession to score.  

The players were indeed just screwing around, laughing on the sidelines, not a care in the world as to what was going on in the game.  Somewhat reliable sources say they may have sabotaged their own ship to get Mac out the door.  My bitter memories of that game and year are more related to a certain wide receiver who thought himself above it all and took to twitter to bite the fan hands who fed him. 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I don't know that the team quit during that Rice game 

I think Tobe Nwigwe would disagree with you.  In the sense that he was one of the very few in that game who didn't quit, screaming at his teammates.

Just look at this scoring summary: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=282710242

About halfway through the 2nd quarter, we were down 20-28.  Before the third quarter was over, we were down 77-20.

Maybe not as obvious a giveup as the Portland State debacle, but that was definitely a team that by and large quit that day.

• Lovely Take 1

44 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I think Tobe Nwigwe would disagree with you.  In the sense that he was one of the very few in that game who didn't quit, screaming at his teammates.

Just look at this scoring summary: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=282710242

About halfway through the 2nd quarter, we were down 20-28.  Before the third quarter was over, we were down 77-20.

Maybe not as obvious a giveup as the Portland State debacle, but that was definitely a team that by and large quit that day.

To be fair, I think it was at about the 42-20 mark that I decided it would be more fun to drink beer and play with my daughter than continue watching. 

• Upvote 1

Rice in 2008 was the low point for us as a FBS program...

Until this debacle. It will not get passed up anytime soon for worst loss in modern college football history, either. FCS Portland State comes to your place on Homecoming and you lose by 59 points, only scoring a meaningless TD late in the game to keep you from getting shutout. The coach got fired immediately afterwards. That combination of everything, while adding in the worst QB collection that a FBS team can roll with in a season, just makes this the clear winner of Worst Loss in Modern College Football History. Its not Ga Tech beating Cumberland 222-0, but it was awful..

Even the A&M loss to OU wasn't this bad. OU was ranked #1 that year and had a Heisman winner at QB. They played for the national championship. FCS Portland State lost in the first or second round of the FCS playoffs to some other FCS team.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2018 at 5:39 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

...that is what the YouTube poster “Pro Sports Central” called this anyway when they posted it YESTERDAY (7/10/18). 

its true. it was.

the Iowa City Conman didn't even make it to the parking lot before being canned (and rightfully so).

On 7/11/2018 at 5:39 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Portland State is certainly our most embarrassing game every. I knew we were going to get beat badly, and stayed home that night. But, I wouldn't label it the most embarrassing ever. I think that dubious honor goes to the 2003 Texas A&M@Oklahoma game. Oklahoma was up 77-0 in the 3rd quarter when they called off the dogs. It was terrible. I remember OU driving down inside A&M's 10 on every possession in the 4th quarter, and then handing the ball to their back and him just standing there until a defender tackled him. It was truly embarrassing. I hate A&M, and I was embarrassed for them. I think in the Pantheon of college football that game tops the list.

That was topped by the meltdown in the Rose Bowl last year.  There have been many games too numerous to mention that come to mind that are far worse than getting killed by OU.  Some that I witnessed : 2008 vs Arkie St at Kyle Field.  2004 Vs Baylor at the Case. Hadn't lost to them 18 years previously. 1996 vs U La La at Kyle Field. 1991 vs Tulsa.  The worst ones were any time A&M played Texas Tech from 1995 to 2008.  11-3  TTshirts.  

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The one thing I will say about that A&M 77-0 loss to OU that day is that it was the worst loss I've ever seen a P5 team take from another P5. From a resource standpoint, this outcome should NEVER happen.

OU was ahead 77-0 very early in the 4th quarter and then got a fumble return inside the 5 yard line . Stoops immediately tells the QB to take a knee on 1st down, as if there were 30 seconds left on the clock, not several minutes. Stoops then realizes how sad that looks, so he asks his QB to handoff to the FB, who IMMEDIATELY dives down on the ground each of the next three downs, which then gets capped off by A&M DE Johnny Jolly celebrating the "stop" on 4th down like it was something huge. 

To me, that game for a big time Power Conference Team was the low point for that level of play. OU scores 100+ with ease if they wanted to. A&M never crossed midfield in the entire game, a game where OU's scrubs played almost the entire second half of the game against A&M's starters. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The one thing I will say about that A&M 77-0 loss to OU that day is that it was the worst loss I've ever seen a P5 team take from another P5. From a resource standpoint, this outcome should NEVER happen.

OU was ahead 77-0 very early in the 4th quarter and then got a fumble return inside the 5 yard line . Stoops immediately tells the QB to take a knee on 1st down, as if there were 30 seconds left on the clock, not several minutes. Stoops then realizes how sad that looks, so he asks his QB to handoff to the FB, who IMMEDIATELY dives down on the ground each of the next three downs, which then gets capped off by A&M DE Johnny Jolly celebrating the "stop" on 4th down like it was something huge. 

To me, that game for a big time Power Conference Team was the low point for that level of play. OU scores 100+ with ease if they wanted to. A&M never crossed midfield in the entire game, a game where OU's scrubs played almost the entire second half of the game against A&M's starters. 

All of this. It was the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen on a football field.

Anyone that has never seen the game, and has a few hours to kill, should check it out on Youtube.

If OU would have done this to Kansas it would be different, but this was A&M.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

All of this. It was the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen on a football field.

Anyone that has never seen the game, and has a few hours to kill, should check it out on Youtube.

If OU would have done this to Kansas it would be different, but this was A&M.

I'm not a fan of either team, but I remember that game well.  The Bama fans were all cheering heartily for OU, as Franchione had just abandoned them for the Aggies.

Yeah that Portland State game was so embarrassing. My wife grew up in Kansas and is a K-State football fan. This was the first UNT game I ever took her to. How embarrassed I was for her to sit there and watch my Alma Mater take a beat down from an FCS program on homecoming. 

• Sad 1