America’s racism and immigration issues didn’t start with Trump

--- Nope it did not start with the current administration .... but it needs to stop...   Because it once existed greatly doesn't make it ok now.  Some of us are so old  [ pre 1960's ] we can remember when certains groups could not attend SWC colleges, eat at many restaurants, stay at many hotels,  go to many public schools in their hometowns, or even live in some neighborhoods... I could name a fair-sized town near where I lived as a kid that none even  lived in that town or were welcome... There was a Baptist college in my hometown that would not admit them either when I registered as a freshman... how Christian of them... !!  I am talking about one group mostly... but it also applied to some others. 

A lot of people much younger than me really don't understand how things were... reading about it and seeing it is a lot different. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

What can be done to encourage potential immigrants to pursue legal channels to enter the country?  Answer that question, and other related issues will be largely resolved.  Ignore that question, and everything else will continue to get worse.

1. Reinstitute some version of the Empresario Program.

2. Shorten the time it takes to gain legal entry.  Many illegal immigrants are desperate - they're escaping poverty & social upheaval.  They can't afford to wait while their application sits for years on a desk in Washington.

3. Simplify the process to the point that the average immigrant isn't overwhelmed by the process.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, GTWT said:

2. Shorten the time it takes to gain legal entry.  Many illegal immigrants are desperate - they're escaping poverty & social upheaval.  They can't afford to wait while their application sits for years on a desk in Washington.

3. Simplify the process to the point that the average immigrant isn't overwhelmed by the process.

#1 is not really viable at this time, although I suppose it would create an incentive to pursue legal channels.  But if we're already overwhelmed with processing immigrants (see your comments on #2), that is going to make that part of the problem worse.

#2 is sensible, but it needs to be done in a fair way that doesn't give priority to one group because they've been guilty of illegal immigration.

#3 - completely agree.  But this is the government we're talking about, so I'm not entirely optimistic.

Good thoughts.  But you have to add stronger deterrents to entering/remaining in the country illegally as well.

Well, we could change the law and eliminate anchor-babies. That might just slow some illegal immigration and up the number seeking legal immigration. Seems humane as well.  No more instant citizenship for children born to those in the country illegally. Seems it might work to decrease several areas of immigration angst.

Just a thought. Would also be interesting to watch the “debate” in D.C. should someone dare to even propose such legislation. Can you even imagine the amount of name-calling in press conferences and Op-Ed’s even proposing such a change would create? How many times could someone be called racist, Nazi, heart-less, anti-family, anti-children, etc.  We could start a poll.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

Many are on the political correctness bandwagon and will never be satisfied.  There has to be a program that will protect the innocent to the extent possible without significantly weakening the USA.  A no border solution just will not work in the best interest of any nation in the long term.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

On 7/14/2018 at 6:25 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

--- Nope it did not start with the current administration .... but it needs to stop...   Because it once existed greatly doesn't make it ok now.  Some of us are so old  [ pre 1960's ] we can remember when certains groups could not attend SWC colleges, eat at many restaurants, stay at many hotels,  go to many public schools in their hometowns, or even live in some neighborhoods... I could name a fair-sized town near where I lived as a kid that none even  lived in that town or were welcome... There was a Baptist college in my hometown that would not admit them either when I registered as a freshman... how Christian of them... !!  I am talking about one group mostly... but it also applied to some others. 

A lot of people much younger than me really don't understand how things were... reading about it and seeing it is a lot different. 

--- I posted the above and four people voted it down.... how could anyone  disagree with that unless they were racists......Do they want to go back to those days.???  I did not even blame anyone for anything going on now....NO ONE.  It was awful the way many were treated... I was NOT even discussing immigration but those who were born here and had been here for several generations.... . I don't get it why anything I said would be controversial or offensive except to those who are racists. . 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

57 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

--- I posted the above and four people voted it down.... how could anyone  disagree with that unless they were racists......Do they want to go back to those days.???  I did not even blame anyone for anything going on now....NO ONE.  It was awful the way many were treated... I was NOT even discussing immigration but those who were born here and had been here for several generations.... . I don't get it why anything I said would be controversial or offensive except to those who are racists. . 

Amen. Some just like to stir the pot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Show me where I said that. 

I responded to the absolute statement it wouldn't...that doesn't mean I took the contrarian stance. 

You asked, theoretically, why it would not work. I took that to mean that you theoretically believe it would. I don't expect you to support your thought but thought I would ask. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On 7/14/2018 at 6:25 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

What needs to stop?  I doubt few condone the type of injustices you mention.   The issue is how does this directly tie in with the current immigration debate.  

On 7/15/2018 at 7:04 AM, GTWT said:

Seriously. The process is expensive and it takes forever to get a result. Even for highly qualified immigration applicants, it can take years and mountains of paperwork. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 7/21/2018 at 8:24 PM, UNTLifer said:

You asked, theoretically, why it would not work. I took that to mean that you theoretically believe it would. I don't expect you to support your thought but thought I would ask. 

just because someone asks for an explanation of another's opinion doesn't mean that they are clearly taking the opposite track. but. I guess I'll step things out for you again:

GG: "A no border solution just will not work in the best interest of any nation in the long term."

this is an absolute statement, but one with zero actual foundation. it's the logical (I know...you're sick of seeing this word) equivalent of this statement: "this thing, that we've never before seen or experienced, 100% definitely could not work" 

I asked GG for an explanation for his absolute statement. I didn't advocate for a no-borders world. I've never read of anyone doing so. I never even thought of a zero border world until someone with passionate conviction opined that it was impossible. 

have fun, sport

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

just because someone asks for an explanation of another's opinion doesn't mean that they are clearly taking the opposite track. but. I guess I'll step things out for you again:

GG: "A no border solution just will not work in the best interest of any nation in the long term."

this is an absolute statement, but one with zero actual foundation. it's the logical (I know...you're sick of seeing this word) equivalent of this statement: "this thing, that we've never before seen or experienced, 100% definitely could not work" 

I asked GG for an explanation for his absolute statement. I didn't advocate for a no-borders world. I've never read of anyone doing so. I never even thought of a zero border world until someone with passionate conviction opined that it was impossible. 

have fun, sport

I doubt you have any interest in an explanation.   If you did, you could watch or read thousands of comments supporting many views.  

I will ask you a question, how can you define a country without borders?  The USA is a place in North American between Canada and Mexico.   If it must be explained to you, that a undefined country cannot exist than I have nothing that is going to enlighten you.  You can wakeup in El Paso and wonder not only what country your in as well as what state.  

• Upvote 2