DRC: Report -- WKU to pay guardian of 5* recruit $200,000 to serve as assistant coach

If this is not against the rules, how is it that we are not hearing about this being done all the time by schools with more cash???? how is it this does not happen in Football with "analysts" ? Bama could pay each and every parent. So could A&M and several other schools. I somehow have a hard time contemplating WKU being in the clear here.

Edited by outoftown
  • Lovely Take 2

I have mixed feelings.  They are playing by the rules and hid nothing. They are getting an assistant with college level experience and a player that can elevate the program.  If the guardian actually coaches I don’t have an issue with this.  I chalk it up to outside the box thinking.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

I have mixed feelings.  They are playing by the rules and hid nothing. They are getting an assistant with college level experience and a player that can elevate the program.  If the guardian actually coaches I don’t have an issue with this.  I chalk it up to outside the box thinking.  

He coached at Jackson State for 2 years, then apparently fell out of the college ranks.  Apparently no one else was interested in hiring him.  Now, WKU is paying him a salary equaling or well above doubling that of more qualified coaches on staff.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Football related, but didn't we hire Todd Dodge as football coach, then gave a scholarship to his son riley to play football?

I see your point, but we clearly had no idea we would get Riley when we hired Todd Dodge.  And he was a head coach, not just an assistant thrown on the payroll.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

If this is not against the rules, how is it that we are not hearing about this being done all the time by schools with more cash???? how is it this does not happen in Football with "analysts" ? Bama could pay each and every parent. So could A&M and several other schools. I somehow have a hard time contemplating WKU being in the clear here.

Becoming an increasingly common tactic. In most cases, the fathers at least appear to have the necessary qualifications...

Mizzou

USC

Memphis

Michigan (football)

AND...

SMU

** Note: Tyrese Maxey committed to Kentucky this spring and amazingly, Tyrone is no longer on staff (https://www.aseaofblue.com/college-basketball-recruiting/2018/4/12/17232406/tyrese-maxey-father-no-longer-coaching-at-smu)

• Upvote 2

On 7/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, outoftown said:

Oh it happens. Why do you think Mario Edwards for Ryan went to Florida State... 🤔

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

The more I thought about this, the more I think that this has a chance to be a real headache for WKU. You have a 5-Star player that is bringing his Daddy to the team. No doubt that Daddy is there to ensure that he is happy with his son's role on the team, playing time, etc. I think this might create animosity among the players with the favoritism that will no doubt be shown. If no one likes it, Bassey will simply transfer to the team of his choice at the end of the season. Moreover, I can't imagine the assistant coaches are happy with the salary that his father is being paid.  All-in-all, this might not be as good as this appears for WKU. Makes for an interesting story-line though heading into CUSA bball season......BEAT WKU!

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 4

On 7/5/2018 at 4:07 PM, DeepGreen said:

Football related, but didn't we hire Todd Dodge as football coach, then gave a scholarship to his son riley to play football?

BTW I don't agree with what WKU did.

So that is why NT hired Todd, to get his son on the team.  

The NCAA recently prohibited the hiring of personnel associated with a recruit to non-coaching positions. 

That  forced WKU into a situation were they had to use one of their coaching slots to recruit one athlete.  If he can both coach, recruit and not be a huge dissertation than it might work out.  However that a lot of it's, and my guess that the guardian won't be there long.  

It looks like the NCAA may have left a big hole in their legislation.  Terminate the coach and pay him a big severance and for all intents and purposes, you have bought a player. 

It feels like many on the board here are rooting for failure from this move and based on the reputation college hoops has right now - one where it's thought corruption and under the table dealing runs amok - it's easy to question the integrity of things here, but...

if we only look at what we know to be true, CUSA just added a player who is a projected lottery pick in whatever draft he comes out in.  This will bring much needed attention to our league - from scouts , media, and fans alike.

The last player to be drafted out of a current CUSA member school...Tony Mitchell.  This needs to change and the added attention Bassey will bring should help many of our deserving players get looks they otherwise may not.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 7/6/2018 at 8:40 PM, Andrew said:

Oh it happens. Why do you think Mario Edwards for Ryan went to Florida State... 🤔

Or that Mario Edwards ever played for Ryan 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1