‘21 JUCO DT Demeco Roland (Hutchinson CC)

Harry

DT Demeco Roland - 6-4, 285 - Broken Arrow, OK

Demeco Roland HUDL Game vid link

Demeco Roland 247 Profile Link

Heading into his senior season, Roland is one of the top defensive tackle prospects in the state for Broken Arrow and checks in at No. 23 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 rankings for top recruits in Oklahoma.

Roland, who stands at 6-foot-3 and just added 10 pounds this spring to reach 290, has eight scholarship offers total, including Division I offers from Tulsa, North Texas and Missouri State. He also has offers from Stephen F. Austin and Abilene Christian.

Alexander said if Roland continues the level of play he showed late in his junior season, that offer list should grow.

“He's such a late bloomer physically,” Alexander said. “By the end of last season, he might have been our best lineman and we had another guy that went Division I playing next to him.

“He was impacting the game in so many ways.”

Oklahoman Story Link:  https://newsok.com/article/5600131/the-oklahomans-super-30-broken-arrows-demeco-roland-a-late-bloomer-at-defensive-tackle

Edited by BillySee58

Kid has violent hands but clearly lacks technique and polish. He will benefit greatly from a red shirt year to put on good weight and learn technique. He's raw but I think he will be my pet cat of the class so far! Signs of future star written all over him. 

Also those who like the star system ( me included) according to OK preps has Mr. Roland the #3 best DL in the state but 247 hasn't rated him yet however they have rated Eijay Manual a 3* and OK prep has him the 9th best in Oklahoma. So Mr. Roland should be rated a decently high 3* by that logic.

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Kid has violent hands but clearly lacks technique and polish. He will benefit greatly from a red shirt year to put on good weight and learn technique. He's raw but I think he will be my pet cat of the class so far! Signs of future star written all over him. 

Also those who like the star system ( me included) according to OK preps has Mr. Roland the #3 best DL in the state but 247 hasn't rated him yet however they have rated Eijay Manual a 3* and OK prep has him the 9th best in Oklahoma. So Mr. Roland should be rated a decently high 3* by that logic.

Late bloomers usually don't get rated until mid season.  They're already on class of 2020 now least that's what one of the 247 guys told me.  That's the norm, anyway.  Big time get I agree he'll need to improve some technique and pad level but I'll take a kid like this all day long. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He will be between Deonte and KevinScreenshot_20180708-211042~2.png

I gotcha, do you have insight when 247 updates mid season. This kid apparently came on late so I would assume a full season of high level play would make him even rated higher and more offers to come his way. I think this kid can be a steal for a G5 program.

• Lovely Take 1

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Question, when did we start relying on the 247 star rating system and not the Rivals? Is there a notable difference, such as one being composite? Does Rivals system still exist?

Also, when 24/7 formed, they took Rivals' best analysts.  IIRC.  At any rate, no one considers Rivals the standard anymore--it's not just a gmg thing.

• Lovely Take 1

39 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

247 rates and has a composite. I think most also believe Rivals ratings are biased in favor of those schools with a paid fan page. 

Kinda like nUTSAck?

Oh we offered him? He's definitely a HIGH 3* player, probably more like a 4*

24/7 - He's a 2*

• Lovely Take 1

This is the type of situation that bothers me about the ranking system.  Roland is not rated, for whatever reason, prior to his committment  to us and then they throw a number out there.  Based on what?  His evaluation by our coaches, offer and committment?  They, 247, weren't sitting on an evauluation based on their assessment or anyone else's, saw we are signing a class full of 3 stars, figured Littrell knows what he is doing now and gave him a low 3 star rating.  This young man is the third ranked DL in OK.  That ranking  was given by OK Preps, people that follow these kids on a consitent basis.  On their evaluation, he ranks just below Cole Mashburn, a .8778 rated 3 star, so dropping to .7998 would assume the remaining on the list are high 2 stars.  I find that hard to believe and to be a result of not getting seen for one reason or another.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

They . . . saw we are signing a class full of 3 stars, figured Littrell knows what he is doing now and gave him a low 3 star rating.  

While I haven't discussed the matter with 24/7's analysts, I doubt that was the sole criterion of their rating of him.  I'm sure they at least looked at his highlights.

Some analysts are going to like a certain player more than other analysts.  Right now, our class is getting a lot of love from 24/7, so I'm not sure we have a place to gripe too much about how they're rating our commits.

• Lovely Take 1

When you get tne chance to talk to the folks at 247, ask them who manages the "already on the roster" feature.  It is way off.  Regardjng WR's, they still list us as having Carlos Harris, Kidsy, Edwards, Smiley, among others.  They are also inaccurate at most other positions.