QB: 1

RB: 1

WR: 2

TE: 1

OL: 2

DL: 0

LB: 4

DB: 0

11 total and all 3-star rated so a GREAT start to this class for sure.  Now just have to hold on to these guys.

If you factor in that we typically will have 25 spots to give on average, we have 14 left.  I know that Blue shirts and Gray shirts, mid term transfers can complicate this formula but for simplicity let's assume we have 25.

Personally I would prefer saving a fair amount of the remaining 14 for spots that open up later in the recruiting cycle.  We historically have landed some of our best players in the last month of the process.

From a position perspective, it looks like we need to get more DB's and DL's.   I think we may be set at QB unless a big one drops in our laps.  I feel like D-Line is where we need the most help and depth from a program perspective which honestly is not a new phenomenon.

If I remember right, we went heavy on DB's last class (5-6) and 2 or 3 of them were versatile players that could step back and play S or walk up and play CB if needed. Don't get me wrong, we need snag a couple more but let's make them count. As for DL...We need to smother the remaining schollies with DL. 5 or 6 interior DL would be ideal, with at least 4 of those spots from the HS ranks. 

I love the direction the class is going. I like Harry's idea of sitting back and seeing what happens with some of them. But the DL needs to be combed through and recruited hard. 

• Upvote 1

We need Corners in a bad way.  Johnson will be good but I'd like to have 2/3 other options ready to roll who can all ball and after this year the Corner room looks slim. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

We are in n several good corners and safeties this cycle as well. Cant wait to see who we get. DL can never be overstated as a need for us... Who was our last dominant defensive lineman? Booger? 

I mean, besides Mean Joe Greene, I'm not sure any DL has been in Booger's neighborhood.

However, Aaron Bellazin was a very good player pretty recently and Rod Young is very good too.

• Upvote 2

Can someone remind me if Carrol and Redfearn ended up as blue shirts? If so then we should be done at OL.

I would like to see another WR, a S, two CB, and four on the DL for sure - all from HS. 

Then add the best JUCOs you can find, hopefully a DT and/or DE, maybe a TE. 

And a top-rated HS kicker. Anything left, just sign the best athletes possible and sort out the position later. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean, besides Mean Joe Greene, I'm not sure any DL has been in Booger's neighborhood.

However, Aaron Bellazin was a very good player pretty recently and Rod Young is very good too.

I loved Bellazin, he was a really good player! Rod young hasn't been in position to dominate very much... he is very good also. I am just looking forward to the next GUY to show up! 

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Walter Chapman was at least as good as Kennedy.  

I did not get to witness Mr. Chapman (or Mr. Hardeman either), but yes, I would assume any DLine NT HOF'er is going to be special.   I'll have to take your word that Chapman was as good as Kennedy.

@GrayEagle @SilverEagle @UNTLifer, & some of you older cats...  would you guys agree with that assessment of Chapman?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don’t bet on the Hs DL we have been pretty heavy JUCO at that spot since Littrell and co arrived.  To elaborate a bit more.  A kid straight out of HS that’s got the things you want, size, speed, strength, feet, hips, good use of hands etc.  typically will be poached by P5s just because they can.  JUCO guys are a little older and understand their window to play is closing so they’re more likely (not the elite JUCO but the guys we have a realistic shot at) to chose UNT over other places.  I’m not totally sold on this plan, but I’m not in charge and they don’t care what I think. Lol I’d love to see us recruit more HS DL problem is you get guys who are undersized bc bigger schools don’t want them. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I did not get to witness Mr. Chapman (or Mr. Hardeman either), but yes, I would assume any DLine NT HOF'er is going to be special.   I'll have to take your word that Chapman was as good as Kennedy.

@GrayEagle @SilverEagle @UNTLifer, & some of you older cats...  would you guys agree with that assessment of Chapman?

I have to admit that I'm not as big a Walter Chapman fan as some other North Texas fans of the Fry era. Fry picked him up as an "under the radar" last minute signing from Grand Prairie. in his first game against UTA, he didn't start, but he came in around the middle of the game and plugged up the leaky side of the defense. Dexter Bussy ( 11 year pro at Detroit) was having his way with one side of the defense. He went elsewhere after Walter Chapman was inserted into the fray. 

This is a long way to say that I think that when Kennedy was having a good game (not taking plays off) he was more dominating than Chapman. Come to think of it, I don't think that anyone ever used the word "dominating" to describe Chapman.  That word was used to describe Joe Greene and the often forgotten Cedric Hardman. Hardman had 38 sacks his senior year at North Texas.

Chapman (#65) was a very good and consistent DT.  Actually I like Rex Johnson (#56) better than Chapman.

addendum: As good as Chapman was, he got pushed pretty hard by his back-up Jimmy Odom (#66 on your program, 5'9 X 230) before Odom was moved over to starting offensive guard.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Bellazin was a solid player, but he never approached all-conference type of play.  I would think senior year Dick Abbe was the best play we've seen at DT since Booger.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I have to admit that I'm not as big a Walter Chapman fan as some other North Texas fans of the Fry era. Fry picked him up as an "under the radar" last minute signing from Grand Prairie. in his first game against UTA, he didn't start, but he came in around the middle of the game and plugged up the leaky side of the defense. Dexter Bussy ( 11 year pro at Detroit) was having his way with one side of the defense. He went elsewhere after Walter Chapman was inserted into the fray. 

This is a long way to say that I think that when Kennedy was having a good game (not taking plays off) he was more dominating than Chapman. Come to think of it, I don't think that anyone ever used the word "dominating" to describe Chapman.  That word was used to describe Joe Greene and the often forgotten Cedric Hardman. Hardman had 38 sacks his senior year at North Texas.

Chapman (#65) was a very good and consistent DT.  Actually I like Rex Johnson (#56) better than Chapman.

Name another dl other than Chapman that had multiple 20 tackle games.  Booger was definitely more showy, but didn't make close to as many plays.  

All time dl:  Chapman, Hardman, Kennedy and Greene  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Name another dl other than Chapman that had multiple 20 tackle games.  Booger was definitely more showy, but didn't make close to as many plays.  

Booger was 280 - Chapman was 250.  It’s hard to compare the two.  Both were very good players.

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Where did you get that stat? Because meangreensport's stat page doesn't cover defensive stats that far back. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Bellazin was a solid player, but he never approached all-conference type of play.  I would think senior year Dick Abbe was the best play we've seen at DT since Booger.

He was 2nd team all-conference with 9 sacks during that magical 2013 season.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aaron_bellazin_847211.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Where did you get that stat? Because meangreensport's stat page doesn't cover defensive stats that far back. 

Apparently, they did.  This is all I could quickly find, but there are articles on-line that reference over 20 tackles a game because I have posted them before.

Note that Chapman is the only NON-linebacker on this list, simple amazing. 

Tackles[edit]

Career
Rk Player Tackles Years
1 Byron Gross 386 1987 1988 1989 1990
2 Craig Robertson 381 2006 2007 2008 20092010
3 Brad Kassell 365 1998 1999 2000 2001
  Zach Orr 365 2010 2011 2012 2013
5 Lester Harper 362 1980 1981 1982 1983
6 Burks Washington 351 1975 1976 1977 1978
7 Lance White 325 1983 1984 1985 1986
Single season
Rk Player Tackles Year
1 Trent Touchstone 143 1989
2 Craig Robertson 133 2010
3 Lance White 126 1984
  Brent Koch 126 1991
5 Zach Orr 123 2013
6 Byron Gross 122 1990
7 Cody Spencer 121 2003
8 Walter Chapman 120 1977
  Chris Hurd 120 2003
10 Taylor Casey 117 2002
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was 2nd team all-conference with 9 sacks during that magical 2013 season.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aaron_bellazin_847211.html

Thanks.  I knew he had a good year, but I didn't remember him making 2nd team.  That particular defense was the best we've seen since the N.O. Bowl run.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1