A sign of my addiction

Harry

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Watching BC besting Edmonton 14-9.

yes I understand it’s CFL but dammit I just love footballs in any form.  GMG!

Pigskin is in the air.  I’ve been rewatching game recordings and Beyond the Green recordings a bunch over the past few days.  I’ve even been listening to the barbershop podcasts to and from work this week.

#septembercannotgetherequickenough

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

For me, the sign that football season is starting is the first showing of "Necessary Roughness" on TV.

Of course, I can pop in the DVD anytime I want...

• Upvote 1

I remember how long the summer seemed before I got into FC Dallas. I was the most anti soccer person alive and scoffed at the World Cup.  Then came traveling the globe and watching hoards of Manchester United fans everywhere I went.  No matter what country what hour here came the red storm in force.  I watched with curiosity then decided to go to an FCD game.  One trip to the beer garden, one $20 ticket in that crazy section live and I was a season ticket holder the next day.  No looking back.

In hindsight I see a lot of similarities in my MG fandom over the past 32 years and loving FC Dallas soccer.  Nobody really gets why I love them so much and it’s hard to describe.  It’s 3 things really:

1. The energy in the stands at a game in the beer garden. The drums, chants, flags, war paint and streamers. It’s like a live soap opera with this wild cast of characters. 

2. The intimacy of the sport - I walk up buy a ticket and sit 2 rows behind the net any day any week.  Live action so close. You really get to know the players and they thank us as they walk off the field. 

3. Small rabid fan base you really get to know. Away Watching parties at peticolas brewery, backyard on bell...every week I’m touching the sport with the same crazies.

It really is like Mean Green Family there in Toyota stadium on a Saturday night. Now I’m traveling to away games in Houston. Who am I?  

I’ll meet any diehard green there in the beer 🍻 garden and you will feel the link and connection. 

So come on you Boys in Red and Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree.  

And it will be interesting to see see how Mike Sherman, coaching Montreal and June Jones, coaching Hamilton and Johnny Manziel do this year.

Of course their version of football sort of misses out on half the game...that of the run game.  But what I like about the CFL is they have a small salary cap, about $5.2 million per team.  Coaches make about $500K, and the average players are making around $88K not including the QB's   So if a player plays in the CFL he's in it for the love of the game.  Plus they stand at attention and respectfully recognize their national anthem.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

On 6/29/2018 at 10:21 PM, Harry said:

Here Harry.  This might tide you over a bit more. I stumbled onto this tonight.  Looks to be more outbound footage from Apogee from last year, commercial free?   I haven’t watched it all yet.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/29/2018 at 10:21 PM, Harry said:

Oh yeah!?  Well, I am watching the American Flag Football League on tne NFL Network right now.  I need an intervention.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1