Racist regents 'scapegoated' black football players in Baylor rape scandal, former AD says

Cerebus

18 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

You don't get to be a whistleblower after the fact. If there was so much rotten stuff going on when he was at Baylor, why was he not standing up for women and helping them get justice? Is he trying to imply that he's somehow a victim in all of this?

I agree 100%.  I misunderstood your comment to mean he had been this way for a while.

Edited by UNTLifer

18 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

You don't get to be a whistleblower after the fact. If there was so much rotten stuff going on when he was at Baylor, why was he not standing up for women and helping them get justice? Is he trying to imply that he's somehow a victim in all of this?

He is obviously trying to shift the problem away from himself, and you are right, he can't.  However if he is correct that the cover up went much higher than himself, that shouldn't be ignored.  Because that is what Baylor is trying to do, say this was an athletics program gone rogue.  From the women who have come forward, many of these attacks were not perpetrated by football players, or any athlete.   And much of the covering up was done by people outside of athletics.

So yes, I think he can be correct in saying the cover up happened all over Baylor.  He is just a trash human being who helped cover up a huge rape/sexual assault scandal and then turned on everyone else when they got caught.  

I have also heard that the rumor at Liberty is that he is trying to shift the blame off of himself/Briles/athletics because he intends to bring Art Briles in as the HFC.  If that is true, and Art Briles is the coach when we play them... 

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He is obviously trying to shift the problem away from himself, and you are right, he can't.  However if he is correct that the cover up went much higher than himself, that shouldn't be ignored.  Because that is what Baylor is trying to do, say this was an athletics program gone rogue.  From the women who have come forward, many of these attacks were not perpetrated by football players, or any athlete.   And much of the covering up was done by people outside of athletics.

So yes, I think he can be correct in saying the cover up happened all over Baylor.  He is just a trash human being who helped cover up a huge rape/sexual assault scandal and then turned on everyone else when they got caught.  

I have also heard that the rumor at Liberty is that he is trying to shift the blame off of himself/Briles/athletics because he intends to bring Art Briles in as the HFC.  If that is true, and Art Briles is the coach when we play them... 

wouldn't be THIS YEAR, but yeah, if he's the coach NEXT YEAR when they come to Apogee...
VbT9LKH.gif

Is it any surprise that a slime ball like McCaw was able to find another gig at another private university that hides behind secrecy? 

Allowing these universities to operate without transparency is a recipe for disaster as has been proven over and over and over again.  IMO, the only way that public universities should be allowed to associate with private universities in things like sports (but not just sports) is if the private schools agree to subject themselves to the same rules of transparency that apply to the public schools.

• Upvote 4

Baylor will still get their due punishment in the years coming. No other power conference will touch them because of their Baptist connections, as well as the bad PR that comes from the basketball and football incidents over the last 15 years or so. The Pac-12 won't take them because of this. The Big Ten and SEC don't need them for obvious reasons. And the ACC already has plenty of regional private schools with much less baggage out there.

They will be SMU and Rice in due time. Looking back always, bitching about getting left behind, and watching the Power League TV money dry up. It will be glorious to watch. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Is it any surprise that a slime ball like McCaw was able to find another gig at another private university that hides behind secrecy? 

Allowing these universities to operate without transparency is a recipe for disaster as has been proven over and over and over again.  IMO, the only way that public universities should be allowed to associate with private universities in things like sports (but not just sports) is if the private schools agree to subject themselves to the same rules of transparency that apply to the public schools.

Not a fan of Christians, huh?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 10

48 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't think what he was saying was a sleight at Christians. What he is saying has merit to it. If they want to be at this level, they should operate on the same basis as everyone else. 

I would agree with that assessment, but you seem to be throwing entire universities and everyone involved with them under the bus.  I despise SMU and Baylor as a whole, but not everyone associated with them (well, outside of SMU).

@TreeFiddy, I agree with that last comment 100%.  None are perfect, but man, what SMU and now Baylor have done is just sickening.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would agree with that assessment, but you seem to be throwing entire universities and everyone involved with them under the bus.  I despise SMU and Baylor as a whole, but not everyone associated with them (well, outside of SMU).

@TreeFiddy, I agree with that last comment 100%.  None are perfect, but man, what SMU and now Baylor have done is just sickening.

It's not throwing them under the bus, it's just bringing their guidelines up to public universities. They can keep their christian stamp labeled on their university, but they have to operate with the same transparency as public universities when it involves athletics. 

But not Baylor, they should be dead. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Now, I don't particularly like Baylor and all of this sure sounds condemning...

...but I do have to wonder what McCaws agenda here is. After all he WAS the presiding AD when all of this happened, and I can't remember him getting out in front of this or resigning when he found out any of it. Is he trying to fool the rest of us into thinking it was all the regents etc and he couldn't do anything about it?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Now, I don't particularly like Baylor and all of this sure sounds condemning...

...but I do have to wonder what McCaws agenda here is. After all he WAS the presiding AD when all of this happened, and I can't remember him getting out in front of this or resigning when he found out any of it. Is he trying to fool the rest of us into thinking it was all the regents etc and he couldn't do anything about it?

Exactly.  He's just playing CYA at this point.  If Liberty were to hire Briles, I would agree that they have become another private church school that sold their soul.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Not a fan of fake Christians. You know, those that are outwardly Christian because they think they can make it work to their advantage by claiming to be Christian when their actions in private are anything but Christian (e.g. racist actions, cover up rape, etc.)

surely there's a half dozen or so bible verses that support their actions

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3