JJ Murray, Eastfield College

Marty

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Walk-on?

If McCasland can convince a JUCO All-American to walk-on, we’re doing very good!

JUCO division III All American. Why would we offer a scholarship to a JUCO non scholarship athlete? Do you need a link? Andrew is right.

Here is your link.

http://www.njcaa.org/member_colleges/Divisional_Structure

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

JUCO division III All American. Why would we offer a scholarship to a JUCO non scholarship athlete? Do you need a link? Andrew is right.

Here is your link.

http://www.njcaa.org/member_colleges/Divisional_Structure

Just because there are no scholarships in Division III doesn't mean that there is no grant in aid for those athletes.  I've read that approximately 98% of college athletes are not on scholarship.  If there are going to be athletic teams at the lowest level there must be aid or the sports would soon die out.

As to Murray, I would totally trust GMac's evaluation of his abilities.  It seems that level of competition, in many cases, would be at least the equivalent of high school and we give scholarships at that level.  I believe that Murray had a scoring average of just under 19 points, a 40% 3-point shooting average and and a free throw average of more than 70%.  Coach McCasland has had considerable successful experience dealing with lower level basketball players and I'm not going to start doubting him now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Just because there are no scholarships in Division III doesn't mean that there is no grant in aid for those athletes.  I've read that approximately 98% of college athletes are not on scholarship.  If there are going to be athletic teams at the lowest level there must be aid or the sports would soon die out.

As to Murray, I would totally trust GMac's evaluation of his abilities.  It seems that level of competition, in many cases, would be at least the equivalent of high school and we give scholarships at that level.  I believe that Murray had a scoring average of just under 19 points, a 40% 3-point shooting average and and a free throw average of more than 70%.  Coach McCasland has had considerable successful experience dealing with lower level basketball players and I'm not going to start doubting him now.

It is not clear whether this is a scholarship offer or not.   The way it is worded, will be joining the program, I suspect it is a walk-on offer.  I have not seen anyone question McCasland's ability to find players.  

Scholarship or not, he should help the program and be a good match for McCasland's preferred game style. 

• Lovely Take 1

Don't forget Spud Webb 5'7" .. who was committed to North Texas until new North Texas coach who came right out of high school Newman got hired at North Texas and told Spudd he wasn't big enough. The rest history went on to win National Championship at North Carolina St. and play in NBA.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

"until new North Texas coach who came right out of high school Newman"

Tommy Newman was head coach at Texas Wesleyan  when he was hired at North Texas. Prior to that he had been an assistant at Baylor for 5 years.

The rest is accurate, as Tommy was guilty of pulling Webb's scholarship offer, stating "I don't give scholarships to 5-'6" players".

• Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow that Newman call on Spud might make a top 10 of All Time boneheaded UNT decisions.

As Newman will go down in UNT athletic history as one of the worst B.B. coaches UNT has ever hired.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ADLER said:

"until new North Texas coach who came right out of high school Newman"

Tommy Newman was head coach at Texas Wesleyan  when he was hired at North Texas. Prior to that he had been an assistant at Baylor for 5 years.

The rest is accurate, as Tommy was guilty of pulling Webb's scholarship offer, stating "I don't give scholarships to 5-'6" players".

Sounds like Dan Mccarney wanting all of his prototypical-sized OL, WRs, and QBs. I think the only QBs under 6'2" who Mccarney offered here were Mcnulty and JT Barrett. I know you have to be smart to become a head coach at the Division 1 level, but it's amazing how stupid some of these coaches are by excluding players because of their height/size.

Mccarney signed 8 QBs who combined to win just 5 of their starts and threw for 3,500 career yards and 19 TDs. Fine by himself threw for more than that in his sophomore season, and Mccarney would've never given him a look because of his size.

As for Murray, there has been no official release on him signing so it may be as a walkon.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scratch1976 said:

. The rest history went on to win National Championship at North Carolina St. and play in NBA.

I belive he went Juco and showed up at NC State the year after they won the NC. He did win a NC in juco at Midland. Had 36 points in the finals if my google skills are sufficient....

Left juco in '83 and went to NC State in 84?

Edited by TheColonyEagle

On 6/25/2018 at 1:44 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

I belive he went Juco and showed up at NC State the year after they won the NC. He did win a NC in juco at Midland. Had 36 points in the finals if my google skills are sufficient....

Left juco in '83 and went to NC State in 84?

Blakeley, I believe offered Spud out of high school, but I don't think he had the academics.  Blakeley also recruited him out of juco, and then was replaced by Newman who didn't want Webb.   Webb was not highly recruited out of juco and it was surprising when he signed with North Carolina. 

i couldn't believe Newman was stupid enough to pass on Spud.  It is not like Newman's recruiting was any good and if nothing else Webb would have been a draw just to see a 5'7 player who could so easily dunk.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1