Recruiting Update

4 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

I will be calling Mike Smith in the Athletic Department today and making my MGC donation.  I challenge those here that have not done the same to do so.   The AD is running on all cylinders currently.  Show them you are taking notice. 

In case you need the number.
Mike Smith: 940-565-3528

Make a title and separate post out of this. You are right on.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Venson said:

I may be off base as far as recruiting and may not know what I am talking about, but I think some of the changes in Denton have helped with this. I agree that the winning and the recruiting department changes are the biggest reason for the turn around, but I think some of the changes made in Denton helps. When I was growing up in Denton there really was nothing here. The square, Hickory and Oak Streets were nothing but pawn shops, feed stores, and other small town stuff like Wolfs grocery, etc. If you were a college student who visited Denton and considered UNT, I am sure that went into some decisions. I mean if you do not have a car, it was difficult to get to Dallas and Fort Worth to enjoy some nightlife. We all had to hang in close proximity to UNT to have any fun and being on campus all the time was boring. Now these kids come here and there is a nightlife for them, there is a transit system to get around if you have no vehicle, and DCTA can get you to all parts of Dallas. I spoke to a bus driver for Wynne Transportation that told me he has driven a lot of recruits and family members for UNT visits and they always take them to the square to show the changes that Denton has made. Again I may be off base, but I do think it helps.

6 hours ago, outoftown said:

I think it just may be the first time in forever that UNT actually put all the components together at the same time: winning (check), a good stadium (check), a good student city (check), a board/President that really provides the necessary recources for the AD to work with (check), an AD that for the most part knows what to do with those and finds way to have that influence recruiting (check).

If you don't have the perception from the at large football community, then you need all of these concurrently to really turn recruiting around, and this may be the first time UNT-Denton has managed to cobble it all together at the same time.

That said, I just hope we can hang on to most of these. It is one thing to learn to find success, but it takes another learning process for knowing how to handle success.

The culture is shifting.  @SilverEagle

• Lovely Take 1

On 6/22/2018 at 1:21 PM, greenminer said:

The culture is shifting.  @SilverEagle

In the athletic department. But is it "shifting" in the general student population, faculty/staff, and the general community? The shift in the athletic department culture was a top down happening. RV was sent away, a new real AD was hired, and non-believers inside the athletic department are going away. But for the culture to really change, our President needs to hire and/or reassign people to engage the faculty/staff, students and community to be part of the culture change.  All spirit groups, including the largest and loudest one of all, need to get with the program or go do something else. 

Compartmentalization of the game day/game time experience needs to stop. We have a football team that has changed their culture, but the rest of the participants need to stop showing up, and doing their own thing.  Game day/time needs..no, MUST be a celebration of the greatness of North Texas, not the greatness of individual departments. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 6/25/2018 at 11:08 AM, SilverEagle said:

In the athletic department. But is it "shifting" in the general student population, faculty/staff, and the general community? The shift in the athletic department culture was a top down happening. RV was sent away, a new real AD was hired, and non-believers inside the athletic department are going away. But for the culture to really change, our President needs to hire and/or reassign people to engage the faculty/staff, students and community to be part of the culture change.  All spirit groups, including the largest and loudest one of all, need to get with the program or go do something else. 

Compartmentalization of the game day/game time experience needs to stop. We have a football team that has changed their culture, but the rest of the participants need to stop showing up, and doing their own thing.  Game day/time needs..no, MUST be a celebration of the greatness of North Texas, not the greatness of individual departments. 

Miner is right though.  It's starting to shift....incrementally,....but the shifting is on its way.  It started the day we $hit canned the hustler and hasn't stopped since.

Rick

• Lovely Take 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Miner is right though.  It's starting to shift....incrementally,....but the shifting is on its way.  It started the day we $hit canned the hustler and hasn't stopped since.

Rick

I have hope of things changing thanks to fans like Miner and yourself. You and Miner are right, some changes are incremental in nature. But there are things that have the ability to change overnight.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2