Who will be our first signature win?

I don't know if any of those are signature wins. Beating a lousy Arkansas team sounds good but if it happens when they are down and we go 8-4, not sure it does much. Does beating Cal or Tech really move the needle? I'm not sure beating a P5 moves the needle nationally unless they are ranked. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

I have read a bunch of valid points so far in this thread. There is only one thing in the overall equation that we can control, which is our own effort. Let's just win, and let the other variables fall as they will.  If we win, some of those other good things just might come to pass.

200w.gif

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

I have read a bunch of valid points so far in this thread. There is only one thing in the overall equation that we can control, which is our own effort. Let's just win, and let the other variables fall as they will.  If we win, some of those other good things just might come to pass.

200w.gif

This.  Conference championship and a bowl win should be our goals.  Speculating further than that is an exercise in futility.

Edited because phone keyboards suck.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

i'm saying arkansas.  i think everything is lining up in our favor for that game.

Exactly. This will be our best opportunity. It's their third of three straight non-conf games, with a road game against Auburn the following week. They will be looking ahead hard core.

Also, last year they beat NMSU at home 42-24, and Coastal Carolina (1st year in FBS) 39-38!!!! This is a team that's vulnerable.

Oh, and their head coach was SMU's head coach for the past three years, so hopefully Littrell has somewhat figured him out.

AND: Mason Fine is really good.

• Upvote 2

Arkansas is one of the better shots we have had in awhile.  Here’s a link to our lifetime series against them:  http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/arkansas

i remember when we played Arkansas in 2003 back before many of you were born.  I think it was under Dickey and they played us real dirty.  Tried to injure Linebacker Cody S who was our best defender and  ended up being drafted in the NFL.  Lost game 31-7 but we were pretty much out of it early.  Which is absolutely what they will try to do this year.  They want to be partying in the tailgate area in the second half not worrying if they will pull it out in the 4th quarter.

Anyway it became very clear early on that the refs were going to let them tackle our defenders and hold without penalty all day and that allowed their speed to take over.

We actually had a pretty good team by our standards that year so I think there are some similarities to this year in that particular regard.

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Arkansas is one of the better shots we have had in awhile.  Here’s a link to our lifetime series against them:  http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/arkansas

i remember when we played Arkansas in 2003 back before many of you were born.  I think it was under Dickey and they played us real dirty.  Tried to injure Linebacker Cody S who was our best defender and  ended up being drafted in the NFL.  Lost game 31-7 but we were pretty much out of it early.  Which is absolutely what they will try to do this year.  They want to be partying in the tailgate area in the second half not worrying if they will pull it out in the 4th quarter.

Anyway it became very clear early on that the refs were going to let them tackle our defenders and hold without penalty all day and that allowed their speed to take over.

We actually had a pretty good team by our standards that year so I think there are some similarities to this year in that particular regard.

Chad Morris seemed to take particular delight in demoralizing us at SMU.  I can't imagine he won't do the same if he can at Arkansas. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

A Vito article.....in 3..2..1....

• Confused 2

On 6/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, oldguystudent said:

Was noted in parenthetical remarks. 

Not to mince words too finely, but it is in a list of possible signature wins. The parenthetical remark only notes it is not P5 but still a big win. I disagree with its placement on said list. It would be a good win against a solid program and could help in recruiting, but it isn’t program changing like those others. 

• Upvote 1

I'm just curious. Troy beat an LSU team that is waayyy better than the Ark team we are playing next year. 

It got them a lot of pub and then a New Orleans Bowl appearance. They finished 98th in last year's recruiting rankings behind some other Sun Belt teams including Ark State and Ga State. 

I guess I don't know what is meant by signature win. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Too much time is wasted talking about signature wins.  Sure they are great but not even remotely as important as consistent winning and always competing for championships.  La_Monroe beat a Nick Saban led Alabama team only ten years ago! Since then the Warhawks built a 60k seat stadium, moved to the SEC and is a regular on ESPN game day.  Oh wait.  

Win all the ones you should, win some of the ones you shouldn’t and go to bowl games every year.  

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1