We Need A Baseball Team!!!

I actually hate the sport of baseball so I have not been clamoring for it to arrive at UNT. However, I do see the need. You do not have to like something to know that it is needed. It is a great way to elevate the athletics department. I am all for it if they get it. If not, I won't think about it because I am not a fan of the sport. I expect down votes here because I know we have some baseball fans out there.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Based on this picture of Wren's plans for the Mean Green Village, it could be here sooner than we know! Not sure how long "mid-term" is for this, but the fact that they've already dug deep into those short-term plans is a good sign! I agree that having a baseball program will boost our marketability. With the state of Texas being one of the most dominant areas of the country in college baseball (so many usually-stellar programs like Texas, A&M, TCU, Rice, Tech, Houston, DBU), being able to add that to our athletic department would put our name out there even more! 

unnamed.jpg

• Thanks 1

Baseball is 10 years away.

BTW...on Thursday there was a Startlegram article about TCU announcing that though they may need to add another women's sport sometime down the road...they will not be adding softball anytime soon.  Also mentioned the expected start up cost for softball would be $60 Million.  

Of course I'm not buying it that $60 Million is what's holding them back because their donorship has that rolling around in the floorboards of their cars.  But it's good news for us and UTA.  We just need to take advantage and build a reputable softball program...now.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wardly said:

The last thing we need is another non revenue producing sport with a big capital expense for a stadium. Regarding men's soccer, we had a great program, basically cancelled it on Friday, and added a  women's soccer program on Monday.

I would argue that baseball could easily become a revenue producing sport, as could softball, with success and the proper marketing.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Do you watch the college World Series or the softball championship?  They could at least break even with the right effort. I live in west Texas and Tech baseball is hugely popular. 

There are an estimated 5 to 10% of NCAA teams were reported revenues are greater than expenses.  Most are P5's with top notch facilities that can charge for premium seating.   I don't see NT ever coming close to those types of numbers and that is ignoring the costs involved with building a facility.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Do you watch the college World Series or the softball championship?  They could at least break even with the right effort. I live in west Texas and Tech baseball is hugely popular. 

Texas Tech reported baseball expenses of $3,737,355, revenues of $1,039,005, loss of $2,698,350.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not factoring in the cost of a facility, just the yearly cost to run the program. Do we factor in the cost of Apogee when talking about football?

Yes, the debt service costs are included as an expense and the student fees associated are counted as a revenue.  An illustration of the danger in blindly using reported numbers as the basic of anything.   

• Upvote 1

In 2016 UTA lost $822,000 in men's baseball and $590,000 in Women's softball. Setting aside the cost of a venue, these losses are probably more in line with what UNT could expect, as the conferences are about equal as is the travel.I don't know what we lost in softball to compare.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wardly said:

In 2016 UTA lost $822,000 in men's baseball and $590,000 in Women's softball. Setting aside the cost of a venue, these losses are probably more in line with what UNT could expect, as the conferences are about equal as is the travel.I don't know what we lost in softball to compare.

Actually we lost $637,000 in woman's softball.

• Lovely Take 1

• 2 weeks later...

The argument is not about gate revenue, but about interest and attendance. If UTA averages only 100 fans per game, what makes you think we would do better? Also, just because a someone offers an opinion different from yours does not make it dumb, but rather you for not at least accepting that there are points of view other that your own.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1