Gymnastics at North Texas

greenjoe

16 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

It’s not. Coaches in that sport are expensive.  The equipment and sponge pits are not cheap either.  We don’t need any more athletic costs right now

Yet I see all these teams like Missouri State in the baseball playoffs etc and can’t help but wonder how they can afford it?  It is certainly being done at programs with lessor budgets than we have.

10 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I think TWU has gymnastics covered 

I was thinking the same thing. TWU has a pretty good program and I do not think UNT could compete with them for the market since they are already established. I mean they have pushed OU to the limit in gymnastics.

OK.  Help me with this.  Expensive ?  Floor mats.  Rings.  A horse (no oats).  Uneven parallel bars.  A beam.  Some uniforms.  Travel as in any sport.  Scholarships as in any sport.  I’d be willing to bet that UNT already owns all the equipment needed to field a gymnastics team.  And as for TWU, didn’t they win a national championship in gymnastics ?  Wouldn’t some of those athletes rather attend a D1 school ?  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

Where will they compete? The snake pit? Super pit?

Practice facility? Because they can’t leave the equipment up full time at the competition venue. Unless they are built a combination practice/competition venue. 

So you’re looking at building at least one new facility for them. At least 2 sets of equipment, because they’re not going to tear down the practice facility equipment and lug it across campus every time there’s a meet.

They’re damn sure not going to use whatever crap equipment that has been sitting in storage for years (if there is any.)

This is about the worst idea for adding women’s sports I’ve heard. Give me beach volleyball or lacrosse or field hockey. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago there was a gymnastics room in the basement of the Super Pit.  Not sure if it is still there, but it was full of equipment, etc...  There are many other sports I would like to see prior to gymnastics even being considered.

I would prefer sustained success in FB, MBB, and WBB before we even talk about adding another sport. Until the resources we spend now in those three sports sustain some kind of positive momentum over an extended period of time, it's just burning money to add something new. That's bad business.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

@greenjoe I like where youre head is at... wanting to add another womens sport to maybe help get another men's sport on the books *cough*baseball*cough*, but not sure this would help us get there.

I think there are plenty of gymnastics facilities in the area we could use until a semi permanent spot could be done.

I like the idea of sand volleyball though... that facility could be used by the general student body when they are not practicing or playing games.

• Upvote 1

There is a lot of talent in Texas in women’s gymnastics. Unfortunately no D-1 school sponsers women’s gymnastics in this state. TWU is Div-II. And unfortunately the SEC and PAC-12 are where all the talented gymnast want to go. They have crowds of up to 10K or more and have muliti-million dollar facilities. I just don’t think the squeeze is worth juice. 

5 hours ago, greenjoe said:

OK.  Help me with this.  Expensive ?  Floor mats.  Rings.  A horse (no oats).  Uneven parallel bars.  A beam.  Some uniforms.  Travel as in any sport.  Scholarships as in any sport.  I’d be willing to bet that UNT already owns all the equipment needed to field a gymnastics team.  And as for TWU, didn’t they win a national championship in gymnastics ?  Wouldn’t some of those athletes rather attend a D1 school ?  

It all comes down to which conference they would play in. The Big-12 only has OU, WV, Iowa St., Iowa and the University of Denver with gymnastics teams. No way you break into the PAC-12 or SEC. So the only option would be to play in a Div-II conference...which would put North Texas in direct compitetion with TWU...a powerhouse in gymnastics. It’s just not feasible. 

Thanks Salsa.  I really don't care anything about gymnastics.  I've never been to a meet and just assumed it was a regular sport at large universities.  I just realized with your post that nobody else competes in gym. in the state.  Anyway, it was a thought.  After the response my gymnastics idea got, I'm not even going to present my thoughts for a chess or equestrian team. 

Hurry football season.

GO MEAN GREEN

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Years ago there was a gymnastics room in the basement of the Super Pit.  Not sure if it is still there, but it was full of equipment, etc...  There are many other sports I would like to see prior to gymnastics even being considered.

That room is now the Green Room for pre-basketball game drinks/snacks/food, etc. for MGSC members donating at certain levels. I think of the days I spent in there for "kids gymnastics".

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

Thanks Salsa.  I really don't care anything about gymnastics.  I've never been to a meet and just assumed it was a regular sport at large universities.  I just realized with your post that nobody else competes in gym. in the state.  Anyway, it was a thought.  After the response my gymnastics idea got, I'm not even going to present my thoughts for a chess or equestrian team. 

Hurry football season.

GO MEAN GREEN

UTD would kill us at chess. No way we could put recruit them!

(Serious post- they literally give their chess recruits a full ride, plus housing and a stipend.)

There are a lot more reasons not to have women gymnastics than to add the program.  First it is far from a cheap sport.  12 scholarships max plus facilities and equipment.  No D1 program in the entire state, so travel would be a huge cost.  

There is also no need for NT to add another woman's sport.  The NCAA to my knowledge has never forced any DI program to add a women's sport.  The threat is there, but I doubt NT would have a problem even if they added another male sport.