19' DT Offer: Gerald Irons III; Klein Oak - 3 star .8327

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

Hard to compete against a guaranteed salary increasing by 10 k a year once you grade for 4 years... 

If that were true, then I guess, sort of...

https://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-charts-o1_o5_2018 

And it typically takes 6-10 years to attain captain/0-3 pending MOS/NEC and cutoffs. 

But I won't condemn anyone ever going the academy route. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

If that were true, then I guess, sort of...

https://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-charts-o1_o5_2018 

And it typically takes 6-10 years to attain captain/0-3 pending MOS/NEC and cutoffs. 

But I won't condemn anyone ever going the academy route. 

Graduate from any Academy and one is fast tracked to leadership spot... haven't had a kid recruited their lately.  However buddy of mines son is going there from Allen over plenty of offers bc once he graduates from Air Force he'll make 80, 90, 100, and 110 his first four years.. I'm fairly certain Army and Navy are the same let me do some checking. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not many programs find competing against the service academies for football players much of a challenge. 

Except when that kid finds that to be his calling...?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Graduate from any Academy and one is fast tracked to leadership spot... haven't had a kid recruited their lately.  However buddy of mines son is going there from Allen over plenty of offers bc once he graduates from Air Force he'll make 80, 90, 100, and 110 his first four years.. I'm fairly certain Army and Navy are the same let me do some checking. 

Not sure what military they will be serving in, but it most certainly wasn't the same one I did. You get into the 100K range once you attain Lt. Col (05) at the 20 year served mark. Now, there are incentives pending job status, but those incentives are boosted for very specific roles such as doctors and certain types of aircraft pilots. A generic supply/intel/transportation/ordinance/infantry etc. officer, like many of these cats become, won't flirt with 100K unless/until they advance up the ranks AND serve years of time. And, again, it takes sometimes easily a decade to get to 0-3, Captain. And a captain in the military caps out at 80K after 14 years served and never changes up to and through 40 years in that same rate. 

There is nothing wrong with going the academy route, but let's not push false information into naive ears. 

Maybe, juuuuust maybe, he Mr. Irons chose this route because he wants to serve country and not self? And not chase the imaginary money you're referring to? 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Somebody spit in your coffee this morning?

7 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Don't tell him!

50 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Yeah that Oklahoma St offer was trash.. am I right..

If Irons got offers from Alabama and Ohio State, what does it have to do with service academy recruiting?

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Somebody spit in your coffee this morning?

Yes, someone must have.  How else can it be explained that somebody actually bothered to look critically at NT recruiting.  

Service academies provide great opportunities for players. 

They are also highly restricted on who they can recruit due to size and high academic requirements.   Last year their recruiting rankings were Navy 101, Army 114 and Air Force 121.   They certainly get some great players, and provide strong competition for G5's for those that can meet their entrance requirements. 

12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not many programs find competing against the service academies for football players much of a challenge. 

Yes, NT is definitely better than in the past with classes having few recruits having any D1 offers. 

The problem is that most current commits are not that highly recruited.   Yes, NT is beating out a few G5's but few of the top programs.  If you exclude Johnson, the offer list for the rest of the commits is far from stellar.  Three players including Johnson have reported offers from P5's.   

Beating out UTEP, NMSU, ULM, and clobbering Texas ST. may be progress; but it is far from were NT should be.

These two quotes led me to make the statement.  Here we sit, #1 in CUSA and mid to low 50's in national rankings, when everyone has been complaining about middle to the bottom ranked conference recruiting rankings and national rankings in the 100's, and  you are still complaining.  Who should we be ranked with?  As noted above, we are where we need to be and improving.