Scholarships

UNTLifer

11 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

I read somewhere that he is on a academic scholarship and doesn't need an athletic scholarship. 

My understanding is that the academic scholarship accounts for less than 30% of the cost of school. An athletic scholarship would very much help him out.

18 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Two

What am I missing?

We lost Temara, Holston, Fuller and Lawson as scholarship players and have replaced with the J Simmons, Wise and Mohamed.  That would leave one, right?

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Jamaiah was already on scholarship, he was just sitting out per transfer rules.

So the only two non-scholarship basketball players on last year's roster were Draper and Jackson?

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

What am I missing?

We lost Temara, Holston, Fuller and Lawson as scholarship players and have replaced with the J Simmons, Wise and Mohamed.  That would leave one, right?

Jahmiah Simmons was already on the roster as a scholarship player last season. We've only added two.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:59 PM, chrisfisher said:

I read somewhere that he is on a academic scholarship and doesn't need an athletic scholarship. 

So help me with this as I am naive to the process. What stops a school from finding academic scholarships for all walk-ons? Would that not improve the quality of your walk-on program but at the same time be circumventing NCAA regulations? I will hang up and listen. 

14 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

So help me with this as I am naive to the process. What stops a school from finding academic scholarships for all walk-ons? Would that not improve the quality of your walk-on program but at the same time be circumventing NCAA regulations? I will hang up and listen. 

Those scholarships have more stringent academic standards that are reviewed by people not in the athletic department and also typically have grade requirements. If a player does not meet, and continue to meet, those requirements, it is not an available option for them. Also, many of those do not cover a full ride (as is the case here), so it is not attractive to a player. Plus, telling a player that you are being recruited as a "walk on" that will be awarded an academic scholarship which will require they maintain higher grades is not likely to be enticing to a player when competing offers will not have this requirement. College athletics are challenging enough just to get passing grades, let alone the added pressure of maintaining a high GPA just so you can continue to have your school paid for.

All this in addition to the risk that the NCAA finds out and comes down on you with sanctions. 

On 5/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, forevereagle said:

Those scholarships have more stringent academic standards that are reviewed by people not in the athletic department and also typically have grade requirements. If a player does not meet, and continue to meet, those requirements, it is not an available option for them. Also, many of those do not cover a full ride (as is the case here), so it is not attractive to a player. Plus, telling a player that you are being recruited as a "walk on" that will be awarded an academic scholarship which will require they maintain higher grades is not likely to be enticing to a player when competing offers will not have this requirement. College athletics are challenging enough just to get passing grades, let alone the added pressure of maintaining a high GPA just so you can continue to have your school paid for.

All this in addition to the risk that the NCAA finds out and comes down on you with sanctions. 

Emerald Eagle would be a great one to steer walk-ons toward.  

Just because a player receives an athletic scholarship offer, it does not mean that the AD is not trying to find scholarship money and grant money that the player qualifies for to help cover the cost of the scholarship. 

The money has to come from somewhere and every dollar that the AD can find from other sources means more money they they have to spend elsewhere.  

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Just because a player receives an athletic scholarship offer, it does not mean that the AD is not trying to find scholarship money and grant money that the player qualifies for to help cover the cost of the scholarship. 

The money has to come from somewhere and every dollar that the AD can find from other sources means more money they they have to spend elsewhere.  

The athletic department can not be involved in the awarding of academic scholarships.  There is supposed to be a strict requirements that academic aid for athletes is granted totally independent of the AD.  

Not sure what other aid they could receive other than before the stipends were allowed, a great number of ship athletes also received Pell grants.   Not sure if that has changed or not. 

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The athletic department can not be involved in the awarding of academic scholarships.  There is supposed to be a strict requirements that academic aid for athletes is granted totally independent of the AD.  

Not sure what other aid they could receive other than before the stipends were allowed, a great number of ship athletes also received Pell grants.   Not sure if that has changed or not. 

I did not say that the ADept has a say in who gets academic scholarships or government grants, but the ADept is well aware of scholarship qualifications and grant requirements.  They make sure that all of the athletes apply for everything they are eligible for.  It is extremely common for players from low income families to receive Pell grants and if a player meets the qualifications for university scholarships, the ADept will make sure that they apply.