Does UTEP start factoring in C-USA West?

Harry

Head Coach is Dana Dimel who had success as an assistant at K-State.  I recall he struggled mightily as a head coach at Houston.  Still a respected guy.

They have Chico as their OC and I noticed Mike Simmonds is their o-line coach.   I have always felt like UTEP could be a decent program with the right coaching and recruiting focus.  It may take them a couple of years but I could see them being a tougher opponent pretty quickly.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Head Coach is Dana Dimel who had success as an assistant at K-State.  I recall he struggled mightily as a head coach at Houston.  Still a respected guy.

They have Chico as their OC and I noticed Mike Simmonds is their o-line coach.   I have always felt like UTEP could be a decent program with the right coaching and recruiting focus.  It may take them a couple of years but I could see them being a tougher opponent pretty quickly.

Going to need a very intelligent QB & WR corps to grasp chico's playbook unless he's simplified between 2015 & now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This is a good joke.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

For the benefit of the CUSA image nationally, I hope they can pull themselves out the cellar quickly.

As for sustained success, given how long they've hoped for an invite to the MWC, I suspect that if they demonstrate that they're substantially improved across the athletic department by consistently challenging for division titles in football and conference titles in men's hoops, they will be very aggressive trying to find a way to saddle up with a new conference with a geographical footprint that better fits their needs

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not on the UTEP bandwagon, but with a new AD, FB, and BB coaches there seems to be a growing interest, similar to our recent changes. Will be interesting to follow. Interested to see how Chico does (he does seem to put his heart into it)

Locks have been flying off the shelves at local hardware stores.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/17/2018 at 12:48 PM, Harry said:

Is that the same Mike Simmons who stated to meet him in the parking lot after the game?

• Haha 1

The only thing that occurred to me when I heard they hired Dana Dimel was "why?".

• Upvote 1

Short answer No.

Long answer, if they can recruit the kids to run Chico's offense yes because he's so multiple if they can get a good OL group and RB to go out there they'll have a chance but it'll be a McCarney type 2013 team if they are. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Short answer No.

Long answer, if they can recruit the kids to run Chico's offense yes because he's so multiple if they can get a good OL group and RB to go out there they'll have a chance but it'll be a McCarney type 2013 team if they are. 

Chico's "multiple" offenses looked ineffective and bad(other than 2013) most of the time.

GIve me simple and effective over "Multiple"