DRC breaking news -- UNT poised to name dorm after Joe Greene

Brett Vito

OMG! This is the second day in a row that news coming from the University is making me shout from the rooftop!

Again, things have changed for the better!  What will tomorrow bring?

• Upvote 1

"The common misconception is that the school’s nickname, Mean Green, is based on his name. The moniker actually began as a reference to UNT’s entire defense during Greene’s career. UNT allowed just 2.0 yards per rushing attempt and posted a 23-5-1 record during Green’s three seasons. The team’s .810 winning percentage during that span is still the best in program history."

And there you have it.  Greatest North Texas teams that I have had the pleasure to watch in person, as a student.  Ever.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DeepGreen said:

"The common misconception is that the school’s nickname, Mean Green, is based on his name. The moniker actually began as a reference to UNT’s entire defense during Greene’s career. UNT allowed just 2.0 yards per rushing attempt and posted a 23-5-1 record during Green’s three seasons. The team’s .810 winning percentage during that span is still the best in program history."

And there you have it.  Greatest North Texas teams that I have had the pleasure to watch in person, as a student.  Ever.

Right there with you, basketball was also the best in that period.  Funny, I came to NT really based on the accounting department and had no idea how good NT was in athletics.   It was all SWC in Texas during that period, but NT would have destroyed most of those teams in a fair game.   

• Upvote 1

"It was all SWC in Texas during that period, but NT would have destroyed most of those teams in a fair game."..............................................

Yep, I agree 100%.....key point in that statement, "in a fair game". Texas has proven it will never play fair when it comes to North Texas!   

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i can't find where the dorm is located?

57 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

They are building a new dorm behind Kerr, so maybe that one?

UNTFan23, is correct. It is being built behind Kerr Hall. 

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

This really only works if each and every room in that dorm has steel curtains. 

I have driven by it almost daily and it does have a lot of steel in in it. Haha

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

And just think of how long it's taken for the University to finally get this story straight. We seem to be finally getting our historical $hit together. Emphasis on seem to be.

A question. Did Joe Greene stay in one of the dorms when he attended North Texas? Because Abner Haynes and  Leon King did not. They had to find their own housing when they came to North Texas. They lived with families in the traditional black part of Denton (south-east) and walked to school. 

I vote for a dorm being called Haynes/Greene Hall. And a plaque placed in a common area documenting the history of this situation and how we've evolved from those days. Even though we were much more evolved than the schools in the SWC. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

From the artist renderings it’s going to look great. The more students that live on campus the greater the opportunity to indoctrinate the next generation of alumni. Next on the list is a statue of Mean Joe Greene at Apogee.  

https://facilities.unt.edu/news/new-residence-hall-construction

B946CD5B-5133-4A0A-9A6A-4CE1ADA3BF71.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

And just think of how long it's taken for the University to finally get this story straight. We seem to be finally getting our historical $hit together. Emphasis on seem to be.

A question. Did Joe Greene stay in one of the dorms when he attended North Texas? Because Abner Haynes and  Leon King did not. They had to find their own housing when they came to North Texas. They lived with families in the traditional black part of Denton (south-east) and walked to school. 

I vote for a dorm being called Haynes/Greene Hall. And a plaque placed in a common area documenting the history of this situation and how we've evolved from those days. Even though we were much more evolved than the schools in the SWC. 

I agree; with one change. Either build another dorm and name it Haynes/King or build two, named after Abner Haynes and Leon King.  They deserve their own. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1