Interview with North Texas Target LaDarius Henderson

IMG_20180510_200857.jpg

In recruiting, words like sleeper and potential can get thrown around a lot. However, both could be used to accurately describe the next North Texas target I had the pleasure of visiting with, Waxahachie offensive tackle LaDarius Henderson.   

LaDarius transferred to Waxahachie from nearby Desoto just prior to his junior season.  What’s interesting is he didn't even participate in football at Desoto.  He gives a lot of credit to Coach Kitna and his staff for convincing him to come out and play ball this past season.

Still quite new to the game of football, LaDarius is also still growing physically.   Having just turned 16 a couple of months ago he already stands at 6-4 and weighs 265 pounds.   A recent trip to the doctor revealed he still has room to grow and very well may well end up around 6-6 or taller when all is said and done with his big frame and long wingspan.  This young man has a tremendously high ceiling with a lot of room to grow.  He is being recruited by North Texas Offensive Coordinator Graham Harrell, who is very familiar with the area around Waxahachie, having played his high school ball at nearby Ennis. 

LaDarius Henderson Quick Hits

Q: Have you had a chance to visit North Texas yet?

A: “Not yet. Planning on going later this month or earlier this summer.”

Q: Other teams you are hearing from?

A: “Received an offer today from Incarnate Word. Also hearing from Arizona State, SMU and UTEP.”

Q: Thoughts on North Texas?

A: “I have a great deal of respect for North Texas for being my first offer. I am excited to take a visit. I do like the coaching staff a lot.”

Q: Biggest thing in choosing a school?

A: “The biggest thing that outweighs everything is the relationship with the coaching staff. I just like genuine and real people.  That's a very big thing for me."

Q: What is your favorite Restaurant?

A: “Hibachio in Waxahachie.  You have to try their Teriyaki Chicken bowl.”

Hudl link: http://www.hudl.com/profile/9291534/LaDarius-Henderson

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4

This sounds like the exact kind of guy the staff must prioritize - slightly off the radar now, but possessing size and makeup to project as a quality prospect down the line.  Once bigger schools come sniffing around, it's the long-standing relationship that will keep us in the game.

In order to be successful with this approach, there's got to be well-developed relationships with high school coaches where trust has been earned both direction - in terms of HS coaches giving honest assessment of their players and NT coaches honoring commitments made to or expectations set for the recruits and their families.  I've been impressed by how this staff has re-shaped their reputation across the state.  Littrell on the board of the AFCA can only help in furthering these relationships.

• Lovely Take 1