DRC: UNT player countdown 6-10 -- Skill position players join list

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tauaalo already showed up at #13, although I think you could make case he should be a little higher.

Woodworth
Lawrence
Ejiya
Guyton
Fine

I know.  I had English in there first, then thought Tauaalo hadn't been used and edited my post, then saw he had been used and changed it back to English. You caught me.

4 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

I know.  I had English in there first, then thought Tauaalo hadn't been used and edited my post, then saw he had been used and changed it back to English. You caught me.

I think it's tough to heap "Top 5 player" expectations on English, a guy who's not played a snap.   I hope for that in the back of my mind, but if he could even play near Tauaalo's level, I'll be extremely happy with him.

Woody's transition to LT is going to be a big deal.   He's proven dominant at LG.  Easily our best lineman.   I hope he can take care of business out wide.  He hasn't shown up on Vito's list yet.

And if it were my list, I probably would drop Lawrence to #6, & bump Young up to #4.

2 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

so who is in the top 5 and what are their order?

5. Lawrence

4. English (hard for me to put him here, but Veto hasn't used him yet)

3. Ejiya

2. Fine

1. Guyton

or is it Fine at number 1?  also, Faison might make it in here.

also, these are what i think veto puts in the top 5.  i'd replace English with Young and Lawrence with Bussey.

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Good list.  I would assume the ommission of both Mayfield and English is because their status is unknown.

17. Riley Mayfield – The former Abilene Christian standout was one of the feel-good stories of last season. Mayfield was a standout at the FCS level, but elected to leave ACU as a graduate transfer to try to make it at the top level of college football. He did more than just make it. He was a wire-to-wire starter at right tackle for a team that desperately needed help up front.

The surprise came in the days following the season when UNT officials confirmed that Mayfield might have an opening to return for a second season with the Mean Green. NCAA officials are considering changes to regulations regarding redshirt seasons.

Mayfield redshirted in 2013 as a freshman at ACU and then missed the 2015 season with a knee injury. UNT is holding out hope that Mayfield can play one more year and has him listed as its starting right tackle.

He’ll be a key part of UNT’s offensive line if he can come back.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, there goes my theory.

No, I imagine you're partly correct.  While it is uncertain whether Mayfield will be able to play; if he does, it is clear that he will be a solid starter on the O-line.

But with English, not only is his status unknown, his impact is unknown.  If he is able to play, he might only provide depth of uncertain quality, considering the seriousness of the injury from which he is trying to make a comeback.  But if he is able to return to the level he was allegedly playing at in Spring of 2017, he could be an absolute game-changer.  So how do you rank that?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98