• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
TheReal_jayD

North Texas to Host MEGA camp!!

Recommended Posts

So we're the only non-FCS school huh? That doesn't seem right. Didn't we do a camp with OU and Oregon last season?

Edit: Nevermind just saw the OU sign, but my point still stands.

Edited by MGNation92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a good camp . I'll admit to being up close and personal with Shiner at this moment and clicked on this because I thought it was about a MAGA camp.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So we're the only non-FCS school huh? That doesn't seem right. Didn't we do a camp with OU and Oregon last season?

Edit: Nevermind just saw the OU sign, but my point still stands.

What is your point?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good!

OU can pick & choose who they like.   NT will also get an up-close look, and maybe impress some of the ones that miss OU's cut.   No worries from the FCS schools there.  If NT offers, and OU doesn't, that's the best offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So we're the only non-FCS school huh? That doesn't seem right. Didn't we do a camp with OU and Oregon last season?

Edit: Nevermind just saw the OU sign, but my point still stands.

Last year Rice, OU, and another big time school we couldn't compete with for recruits.  I have no problem with this.   Also, I am not a fan of mega camps kids get lost in numbers (except the ones your school wants to see) they have certain numbers and already know who they're looking for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

What is your point?

We seem to be continuing the trend of "We offer X player who only had FCS/D-II offers, but he's a great player because we offered him"

It's been better, but if we're still competing against schools like Northwestern State and UTPB for recruits, that's an issue

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

We seem to be continuing the trend of "We offer X player who only had FCS/D-II offers, but he's a great player because we offered him"

It's been better, but if we're still competing against schools like Northwestern State and UTPB for recruits, that's an issue

You need to look deeper.
DFW kids of all types will show up to this camp to be seen.   Most will want to be seen by OU.  Several VERY GOOD players will be there.   Those that OU like will be very limited; the cream of the crop.  NT will be the next rung (with no other FBS competition), and should offer several VERY GOOD players.  Those VERY GOOD players we offer but OU doesn't may not have come to NT otherwise, but maybe they like what they see in Denton & consider the offer.   

There is no "competition" with the FCS schools, as there will be a separate level of players at the camp for all of them to scrap over.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those VERY GOOD players we offer but OU doesn't may not have come to NT otherwise, but maybe they like what they see in Denton & consider the offer.   

This is the important part.  Most area kids have no idea what we have built.  You hear that from them all the time when the finally do get here and see the facilities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

We seem to be continuing the trend of "We offer X player who only had FCS/D-II offers, but he's a great player because we offered him"

It's been better, but if we're still competing against schools like Northwestern State and UTPB for recruits, that's an issue

Have you looked at the offer lists of the current players we are recruiting?  Who is the last player that committed to us that we were competing against Northwestern State and UTPB?  I don't think we have ever competed against UTPB for a player.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Have you looked at the offer lists of the current players we are recruiting?  Who is the last player that committed to us that we were competing against Northwestern State and UTPB?  I don't think we have ever competed against UTPB for a player.

I just picked two schools that I recognized from the list on the bottom of the poster.

I get that we're improving on who we're offering, but outside of a few players, we're not consistently winning recruiting battles against G5/Lower P5 competition. It has been improving, but not near the level of consistency we need to be a Boise State type program.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I just picked two schools that I recognized from the list on the bottom of the poster.

I get that we're improving on who we're offering, but outside of a few players, we're not consistently winning recruiting battles against G5/Lower P5 competition. It has been improving, but not near the level of consistency we need to be a Boise State type program.

2018 commits/other offers

Torrey:  Troy.

Morris: Indiana, Louisville, Memphis

Davis: Illinois, La Tech, Memphis

Shorter: Houston

Bean: Colorado State, smuT, La Tech

Gibbs: Illinois, Bowling Green

I understand where you are coming from but I would argue the 2018 class was an improvement and the 2019 recruits should tell us if we are still headed in the right direction.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This is the important part.  Most area kids have no idea what we have built.  You hear that from them all the time when the finally do get here and see the facilities.  

Let's not forget, in this day and age of transfers it can never be a bad thing to leave a great memory on UNT in their minds.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

2018 commits/other offers

Torrey:  Troy.

Morris: Indiana, Louisville, Memphis

Davis: Illinois, La Tech, Memphis

Shorter: Houston

Bean: Colorado State, smuT, La Tech

Gibbs: Illinois, Bowling Green

I understand where you are coming from but I would argue the 2018 class was an improvement and the 2019 recruits should tell us if we are still headed in the right direction.

Definitely agree.

But that's what 6/19 signees? Let's get it to 12/19, then I'll feel a lot better about the recruiting as a whole. Impact players are good, impact CLASSES are better. 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey sometimes it pays off to play wingman amirite 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Definitely agree.

But that's what 6/19 signees? Let's get it to 12/19, then I'll feel a lot better about the recruiting as a whole. Impact players are good, impact CLASSES are better. 

 

 

 

Beaten fan syndrome...It's contagious and helpless. I have come to learn that expectations are very sporadic and on a very wide spectrum around these parts, almost on an individual to individual basis. The people with the average to above average expectations have to set them in concrete and hunker down, because the hand grenades are going to be thrown over the wall by the beaten fans with a "how dare you" attitude. 

As for the "mega" camp, it's only mega in name. However, I do like the fact that we are hosting so it could be opportunistic for UNT for the reasons that some posters have stated. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Beaten fan syndrome...It's contagious and helpless. I have come to learn that expectations are very sporadic and on a very wide spectrum around these parts, almost on an individual to individual basis. The people with the average to above average expectations have to set them in concrete and hunker down, because the hand grenades are going to be thrown over the wall by the beaten fans with a "how dare you" attitude. 

As for the "mega" camp, it's only mega in name. However, I do like the fact that we are hosting so it could be opportunistic for UNT for the reasons that some posters have stated. 

"I understand where you are coming from but I would argue the 2018 class was an improvement and the 2019 recruits should tell us if we are still headed in the right direction."

Guess you failed to read this part of my post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any event that gives us exposure to DFW high school players is a positive. Besides, there may be a pony or two under the haystack. We just have to look.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Beaten fan syndrome...It's contagious and helpless. I have come to learn that expectations are very sporadic and on a very wide spectrum around these parts, almost on an individual to individual basis. The people with the average to above average expectations have to set them in concrete and hunker down, because the hand grenades are going to be thrown over the wall by the beaten fans with a "how dare you" attitude. 

As for the "mega" camp, it's only mega in name. However, I do like the fact that we are hosting so it could be opportunistic for UNT for the reasons that some posters have stated. 

Mega Camp is in reference to the Number of Colleges represented not necessarily what colleges are present.  As for who is showing up, it is 100% ok with me.  Last year we had OU, Oregon, Rice and us.  The kids who showed up at camp for OU or Oregon were likely encouraged to attend the camp so a coach could further evaluate them before offering.  The kids who showed up for those schools lets be honest we have no shot at anyway.  I wish people realized how far behind we are facilities wise even with most G5 programs.  There are so many schools who have more to sell as a program than we do currently.  Yes we are upgrading but those aren't done yet and it is a crutch.  Is that the sole factor for why a kid goes somewhere? No, absolutely not BUT you are a 17/18 year old kid and you go from one campus who has facilities and support then you go to UNT where "It is being built" but you can't physically walk through it see it and be impressed its a hard sell.  

 

I am the first one who thinks we need to be better at recruiting, but the fact that a high 3 star multiple offers I think over 13 now, kid has committed here even if it is "for now" shows that they are putting in the work.  I am ok with going after guys like Preston from Argyle who we probably don't have a snowballs chance in hell to land.  BC for so long I have complained about not offering high profile guys locally and trying like crazy to land them.  At some point it would be nice if that recruit would tell us hey thanks, but I am looking elsewhere.  At that time we better have some other offers out to guys who can ball and not looking at our 6/7th ranked OL to replace him.   

  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Mega Camp is in reference to the Number of Colleges represented not necessarily what colleges are present.  As for who is showing up, it is 100% ok with me.  Last year we had OU, Oregon, Rice and us.  The kids who showed up at camp for OU or Oregon were likely encouraged to attend the camp so a coach could further evaluate them before offering.  The kids who showed up for those schools lets be honest we have no shot at anyway.  I wish people realized how far behind we are facilities wise even with most G5 programs.  There are so many schools who have more to sell as a program than we do currently.  Yes we are upgrading but those aren't done yet and it is a crutch.  Is that the sole factor for why a kid goes somewhere? No, absolutely not BUT you are a 17/18 year old kid and you go from one campus who has facilities and support then you go to UNT where "It is being built" but you can't physically walk through it see it and be impressed its a hard sell.  

 

I am the first one who thinks we need to be better at recruiting, but the fact that a high 3 star multiple offers I think over 13 now, kid has committed here even if it is "for now" shows that they are putting in the work.  I am ok with going after guys like Preston from Argyle who we probably don't have a snowballs chance in hell to land.  BC for so long I have complained about not offering high profile guys locally and trying like crazy to land them.  At some point it would be nice if that recruit would tell us hey thanks, but I am looking elsewhere.  At that time we better have some other offers out to guys who can ball and not looking at our 6/7th ranked OL to replace him.   

This.

And from scanning Twitter, it is amazing the number of coaches that have sent out "Thank You's" to our staff for stopping by or posting pictures of the HS coach with one of our coaches.  I must say that our coaches are putting in the effort to build those relationships.  Our image is changing in the minds of recruits and coaches because of this hard work and our recent results.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, UNTLifer said:

2018 commits/other offers

Torrey:  Troy.

Morris: Indiana, Louisville, Memphis

Davis: Illinois, La Tech, Memphis

Shorter: Houston

Bean: Colorado State, smuT, La Tech

Gibbs: Illinois, Bowling Green

I understand where you are coming from but I would argue the 2018 class was an improvement and the 2019 recruits should tell us if we are still headed in the right direction.

2 of the commits you have listed here had the offers dry up in Bean and Morris.. yes they had offers, but we only got them because we were the last standing offer.. 

And some of the early offers limited who we could pick up at the end.. like the DT from Junction or wherever that was the 3* who committed to SMU..

Edited by BTG_Fan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might find some hidden gems in the camp that have been overlooked.  Some players hit their full stride in college. Yes, OU gets the freshman who could maybe start for them or he maybe sitting behind the three guys in front of him.  We need to find those guys who want to play and can help us right away.  We have to sell ourselves to these players.  I know Boise State pops up a lot but who the heck would want to go there before they became winners.  The coaching staff sold the players on why they should be at Boise State and it has worked well for them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

You might find some hidden gems in the camp that have been overlooked.  Some players hit their full stride in college. Yes, OU gets the freshman who could maybe start for them or he maybe sitting behind the three guys in front of him.  We need to find those guys who want to play and can help us right away.  We have to sell ourselves to these players.  I know Boise State pops up a lot but who the heck would want to go there before they became winners.  The coaching staff sold the players on why they should be at Boise State and it has worked well for them.

I don't want the guy who thinks he would go to OU and sit on the bench, or come here and play. 
That is a severely flawed outlook.  That kind of guy needs to look into Lamar and the other FCS schools.  If he doesn't believe he can play at OU, he will get eaten alive at any FBS school.  We don't want him.
We want the guy who thinks he would start at OU day one, but OU didn't offer him for whatever reason.

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this