I’m in favor of expanding the main campus and in this case in order to create a grand entrance to the university that can be seen from the highway. Although seeing these businesses move or go out of business because of it makes me less enthusiastic about it. I just don’t see another way unfortunately. 

https://www.ntdaily.com/how-unt-could-exercise-eminent-domain-for-properties-along-avenue-c/

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2018 at 11:46 AM, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m in favor of expanding the main campus and in this case in order to create a grand entrance to the university that can be seen from the highway. Although seeing these businesses move or go out of business because of it makes me less enthusiastic about it. I just done see another way unfortunately. 

https://www.ntdaily.com/how-unt-could-exercise-eminent-domain-for-properties-along-avenue-c/

There are several people's bowels that will thank them when Panchos buffet is shut down... even if those same people's wallets are pissed.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There are several people's bowels that will thank them when Panchos buffet is shut down... even if those same people's wallets are pissed.

That whole mini-mall has been shut down for a minute. Rocking Rodeo was the only thing left and I believe it’s shut down as well. I’ve only heard rumors on what will be built there but I know for sure it’s getting all torn down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

19 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

That whole mini-mall has been shut down for a minute. Rocking Rodeo was the only thing left and I believe it’s shut down as well. I’ve only heard rumors on what will be built there but I know for sure it’s getting all torn down. 

Rocking Rodeo, owned by a good friend, shut down a couple of weeks ago and has been selling his equipment, etc...  I hate to see it happen especially to long time establishments like New York Sub.  They should just build the campus around them because that place is an institution!  Any place that I can enter and order the same thing I ordered as a kid, sit in the same location and it all feel and taste the same needs to stay....except Pancho's.  Had no idea that place was still open.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I hate to see it happen especially to long time establishments like New York Sub.  They should just build the campus around them because that place is an institution! 

It has happened. We agree on something.

• Thanks 1

There needs to be retail surrounding the campus, for the university community.  Surely the university can work that into the plan for the Avenue C corridor, like they did with the new union.  Businesses with the longevity of NY Subway (I know Ken from long ago, and sorry, that's what I'm going to call it), could certainly can be worked into that plan.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

It has happened. We agree on something.

You know, disagreeing is never a bad thing.  It just seems that today disagreement turns to instant disdain for the other person instead of good old conversation.  I think we also agree on the team and university we support.  Hopefully, we can meet at a tailgate and share a couple beers and a tailgate sized sub from NY Sub.  (Still not on board with tne "Hub" they were forced to add).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stix said:

There needs to be retail surrounding the campus, for the university community.  Surely the university can work that into the plan for the Avenue C corridor, like they did with the new union.  Businesses with the longevity of NY Subway (I know Ken from long ago, and sorry, that's what I'm going to call it), could certainly can be worked into that plan.

Rayzor Ranch is filling that void in my opinion. They are currently building an Alamo Draft House and a Cheddar’s. I also read that they are planning on building some apartments there as well. Back to your point though, I agree you should honor the past in some way. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Thanks 1