Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Ive always wondered why UNT didn't re-name the school "The University of North Texas Medical School".  Or, "The University of North Texas School of Medicine".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw something a while back that indicated that the MD program quietly passed some major milestone in terms of getting something approved/completed that basically ensured that they were going to meet the goal of 2019.

 

I continue to be amazed that we do not offer a nursing program within the UNT HSC.  Every major university has a nursing program.  Heck, most mid tier universities have a nursing program.  We could easily use the main campus for students to complete their first two years of pre-reqs and then matriculate down to the HSC for completion. 

It would provide a nice option for students that don't want to pay the outrageous nursing tuition of TCU and want the four year experience of a university.

ETA: link to story http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article156629349.html

 

Edited by TreeFiddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I saw something a while back that indicated that the MD program quietly passed some major milestone in terms of getting something approved/completed that basically ensured that they were going to meet the goal of 2019.

 

I continue to be amazed that we do not offer a nursing program within the UNT HSC.  Every major university has a nursing program.  Heck, most mid tier universities have a nursing program.  We could easily use the main campus for students to complete their first two years of pre-reqs and then matriculate down to the HSC for completion. 

It would provide a nice option for students that don't want to pay the outrageous nursing tuition of TCU and want the four year experience of a university.

The best nursing school is just up Bell Ave though.    No need to start a new one.  ...Just acquire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both UTA and TCU have very good nursing schools, so I don't see the need for another one in Tarrant County. Money may also be an issue, as we have a lot sunk into an unneeded  law school in Dallas. We need more nurses. We don't need more lawyers.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 8:56 AM, DeepGreen said:

Ive always wondered why UNT didn't re-name the school "The University of North Texas Medical School".  Or, "The University of North Texas School of Medicine".

Because although UNTHSC is part of the UNT System, it is not an extension of UNT (Denton). It is in fact its own separate institution, so those two names for example make it seem like the institution is just an extension of UNT.

This is different from say the UNTD law school, which is an extension of UNT Dallas (also a separate institution of the system, but the law school isn't free-standing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a push a few years ago to bring UNTHSC under/into the main campus (not sure exact details) at the same time UNT was pursuing MD school approval.  The legislature told UNT it seemed like they were trying to do to many things at once and they should probably pick which thing they wanted to tackle first.  UNT quickly shifted their focus to the MD school approval. 

I think one of the benefits they were after was that UNT would get the benefit of counting the UNTHSC research dollars in with the main campus in their quest for Tier 1 status (don't hold me to that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, wardly said:

Both UTA and TCU have very good nursing schools, so I don't see the need for another one in Tarrant County. Money may also be an issue, as we have a lot sunk into an unneeded  law school in Dallas. We need more nurses. We don't need more lawyers.

You got that right!

 

Rick

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.