Marcus Davenport goes 14th in !st Round

madmaxx7

3 hours ago, edcollopy said:

they showed 2 of his sacks against our O-line...it was embarrassing.  Fine didn't have a chance on either play.

I had to look up Davenport to remember who he was.  I remember the win, though.  I don't think either of the two previous sentences is embarrassing.

3 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

He had a really good view of Fine's game-winning pass to Bussey.

I bet the UTSA lurkers around here are just chomping thru their KFC chicken bones as they finish reading this, realizing just how close they were to winning their Super Bowl...

• Haha 2

If 5  years ago  someone had asked  this question: "Which Texas university will have the only player taken from a Texas school in the first round of the 2018  draft."   Who would've guessed UTSA.  Go figure.

The Boise player taken by the Cowboys  in the first round was a walk on at Boise.  It just goes to show that some really good players are overlooked by big schools.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

"Barely recruited out of Stevens High School"...so says his Wiki page.  

Congrats to Davenport and UTSA. And I'm glad he went to N.O. so his family will more easily be able to attend his home games.

Rick

He should strongly reconsider his move to NO. His home will be at risk to to water damage!

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

He should strongly reconsider his move to NO. His home will be at risk to to water damage!

I doubt few people choose to actually build these days in the sections most threatened by flood in N.O.  

But if he does...and it's ever under water he'll probably pay to repair it himself...or move.  Either way he'll hopefully do so without bitching about it or expecting me to pay for it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Still got the dub though.

I'll take that any day of the week.

I think UTSA is fine and more than happy with having a 1st RD player that they can pitch to recruits.

We can pitch kids on going 10+ years of no draft picks, but hey we pitch kids on beating a non-bowl team.. 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think UTSA is fine and more than happy with having a 1st RD player that they can pitch to recruits.

We can pitch kids on going 10+ years of no draft picks, but hey we pitch kids on beating a non-bowl team.. 

How ‘bout we just pitch West division champs, 9 wins, Conf Off POY, etc...  you know, things we would actually pitch.

Let UTSA pitch a 1st rounder.  As long as they’re twiddling their thumbs during bowl season, not many are gonna listen.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else find it strange that they don't name Mason in the following article?

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/Davenport-chosen-C-USA-s-Defensive-Player-of-the-12410751.php

Florida Atlantic sophomore running back Devin Singletary won C-USA Player of the Year honors, while North Texas quarterback was named Offensive Player of the Year, Old Dominion junior kick returner Isaiah Harper earned Special Teams Player of the year honors and Freshman of the Year honors went to UAB running back Spencer Brown.

UAB's Bill Clark was named C-USA's Coach of the Year.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How ‘bout we just pitch West division champs, 9 wins, Conf Off POY, etc...  you know, things we would actually pitch.

Let UTSA pitch a 1st rounder.  As long as they’re twiddling their thumbs during bowl season, not many are gonna listen.

Well we did pitch that to recruits Before the early signing period and it led to what? The 9th best class in CUSA after the rating had be updated.. LOL

We can pitch kids on that winning in a weak Western Division in which we won multiple games  by a slime margin but seeing players going in RD 1 does a world of good and is a dream of all HS and JUCO players.. also, if Davenport is a Star, he will have $ to donate to UTSA and is in a prime figure for UTSA to pitch to kids in an area that Wilson has strong ties too.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Well we did pitch that to recruits Before the early signing period and it led to what? The 9th best class in CUSA after the rating had be updated.. LOL

We can pitch kids on that winning in a weak Western Division in which we won multiple games  by a slime margin but seeing players going in RD 1 does a world of good and is a dream of all HS and JUCO players.. also, if Davenport is a Star, he will have $ to donate to UTSA and is in a prime figure for UTSA to pitch to kids in an area that Wilson has strong ties too.

I've read and re-read your posts on this thread. I'm trying to figure out your point here? We need more people drafted? That seems too obvious. I think you might have a different point?

1 minute ago, chrisfisher said:

I've read and re-read your posts on this thread. I'm trying to figure out your point here? We need more people drafted? That seems too obvious. I think you might have a different point?

My 1st post in this thread was about UNT being happy we beat UTSA.. Meanwhile, UTSA is getting the last laugh because they have a 1st RD pick in the books and can go be out pitching they are and have produced  recruits into 1st RD talent. 

With my 2nd post talking about how the whole we won the west, have a All-Conference QB, etc. and how that pitch got us the 9th best class and 103 overall now in the nation (Believe it was 99th closer to NSD, so not a major downgrade but still a downgrade even with our players getting a rating boost) did not seem to do a lot of good in terms of bringing in “studs” since our class avg was just barely a 3star. 

Meanwhile UTSA has a downyear (and was still bowl eligible with 1 less game) but yet still dominated UNT in recruiting and now can add to its pitches the ability to develop kids into 1st RD picks (meanwhile UNT has not had a pick at all in 10+ years.)

Yes, we need more guys drafted from UNT. But UTSA has some very impressive pitches UNT does not and will not have (potentially) just because of Davenport. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Whatever they are selling at UTSA to recruits, they’ve been better than us according to the rankings at 247 for the last few years. 

Its still gonna take another 3 years of winning to change that trajectory for us. Those TX HS coaches and parents have long memories.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1