Sentinel C-USA non conference schedule ratings 2018

FAU

Sept. 1 at Oklahoma; Sept. 8 vs. Air Force; Sept. 15 vs. Bethune-Cookman; Sept. 21 at UCF

Lane Kiffin led the Owls to their first Conference USA championship last season but duplicating that feat could be difficult especially with a treacherous nonconference schedule that features road games against a pair of conference champions in Oklahoma and UCF. The good news is FAU went 1-3 in nonconference in 2017 and still managed an 11-win season.

Middle Tennessee

Sept. 1 at Vanderbilt; Sept 8 vs. UT Martin; Sept. 15 at Georgia; Nov. 17 at Kentucky

The Blue Raiders open up the season on the road for the first time since 2011 as the team travels to Nashville to take on Vanderbilt. Middle Tennessee has split the series (3-3) but all three wins have come on the road. MTSU has lost 12 out of its last 13 meetings with teams from the SEC with the last win coming in 2016. The program is a combined 0-3 all-time against Georgia and Kentucky.

UTSA

Sept. 1 at Arizona State; Sept. 8 vs. Baylor; Sept. 15 at Kansas State; Sept. 22 vs. Texas State

UTSA is one of just two CUSA schools to play three teams from Power 5 conferences this season (Middle Tennessee). The Roadrunners won three games out of conference in a single season for the first time since fully joining CUSA in 2013 including the program’s first win over a P5 school in Baylor.

North Texas

Sept. 1 vs. SMU; Sept. 8 vs. Incarnate Word; Sept. 15 at Arkansas; Sept. 22 at Liberty

North Texas put together just it’s second winning season since 2005 when the Mean Green won nine games in 2017. The good news for Seth Littrell’s program is they’ll face one of the easiest schedules in the conference with an FCS foe (Incarnate Word) and a program transitioning into the Football Bowl Subdivision (Liberty).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...story.html

• Thanks 2

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, oldguystudent said:

While I'm not a fan of Incarnate Word or Liberty (Let's just leave that at an opinion and stop with the nonsensical religious debates), I see no reason to be booking world beaters in OOC unless we're vying for a NY6 bowl game. 

Conference championships should be our goal at present. 

Amen!

• Upvote 1

There is a pretty big gap between OOC world beaters and the likes of Liberty or Incarnate word.  I would rather see teams like Iowa State, San Diego State, Colorado, CSU, or even Texas State.  Yes you are guaranteed a bowl as conference champion but with this schedule we shouldn't get upset if one of our more competitive conference rivals end up in a better bowl than us.  Also if we get in a bowl and get blasted cause we haven't face a team with solid P5 level athletes that isn't a good look either.  One cupcake per year please.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

There is a pretty big gap between OOC world beaters and the likes of Liberty or Incarnate word.  I would rather see teams like Iowa State, San Diego State, Colorado, CSU, or even Texas State.  Yes you are guaranteed a bowl as conference champion but with this schedule we shouldn't get upset if one of our more competitive conference rivals end up in a better bowl than us.  Also if we get in a bowl and get blasted cause we haven't face a team with solid P5 level athletes that isn't a good look either.  One cupcake per year please.

I would love to see us play some more OOC games with regional interest.  Houston, Texas State, Tulane.  

Of course I would LOVE to see some Big 12 matchups as well.  I love that we have Tech coming up in a couple of years. 

I do have faith that Wren will be able to make more of these happen, either in home and home situations or I would even be ok with neutral site games for Big 12 opponents.  It would be like having a second bowl game every year.  I wouldnt hate it. 

• Lovely Take 1

On 4/23/2018 at 7:54 PM, Coach Bill Lewis said:
North Texas

Sept. 1 vs. SMU; Sept. 8 vs. Incarnate Word; Sept. 15 at Arkansas; Sept. 22 at Liberty

North Texas put together just it’s second winning season since 2005 when the Mean Green won nine games in 2017. The good news for Seth Littrell’s program is they’ll face one of the easiest schedules in the conference with an FCS foe (Incarnate Word) and a program transitioning into the Football Bowl Subdivision (Liberty).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...story.html

I'm laughing and crying at this article.

6 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

If we find a defense....we could go 4-0 in nonconference.  

Rick

Need English to be there 9/1 at the Nose so that Young can stay outside.
If we have that, the DL play will be MUCH better... which will improve LB play. 

Need Brooks to play smart & someone to step up for losing McClain.   

If we can hit on those things, we'll be 10-2 or 11-1 at the end of the regular season.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Ya, I think he was talking about the suggestion for Iowa State, San Diego State, Colorado, CSU

Regional schools are fine but not FCS schools.  And I especially don't like basically 2 FCS schools on the schedule regardless of where they are from.  My list included better known G5 programs and programs with a Big 12 connection.  I did not mention Houston because I believe that when they are making their OOC opponent list we are near the bottom.   Also I believe Tulane doesn't particularly like playing us either.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

I would love to see us play some more OOC games with regional interest.  Houston, Texas State, Tulane.  

Of course I would LOVE to see some Big 12 matchups as well.  I love that we have Tech coming up in a couple of years

I do have faith that Wren will be able to make more of these happen, either in home and home situations or I would even be ok with neutral site games for Big 12 opponents.  It would be like having a second bowl game every year.  I wouldnt hate it. 

You see to have the polygamist view of a "couple years." 😛

• Confused 1