ODU new stadium info

5 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

I think this makes it clear that ODU is tops in the CUSA for facilities and  they already had a jump on budget/academics.  They seem to be preparing for entry into AAC.

http://odu.edu/news/2018/4/stadium#.WtoNxUEpDDt

Could you explain this “tops in CUSA” thing? I have been to their facilities. What do you see that makes them the “clear” top in facilities and “academics”. I get the budget part. The other two seem to be a big stretch. Thanks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

I think this makes it clear that ODU is tops in the CUSA for facilities and  they already had a jump on budget/academics.  They seem to be preparing for entry into AAC.

With all due respect, you should not drink during daylight hours.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Downvote 1

Based on the global warming propaganda show I saw on "Nova" a couple of nights ago, a big part of this stadium renovation should have included raising the campus elevation. They showed an ODU campus sign and lots of shots from Norfolk to illustrate rising sea levels and the coming disaster.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

Back in the early 80s when Division 1 split into 1-A and 1-AA the top division required a 30,000 seat stadium.  Maybe we could have stayed in Division 1-A if we had known how lax they would be in their enforcement.  Today, there are 20 universities in the FBS that do not meet that requirement.  There will be 21 next year when Liberty enters with a 25,000 seat stadium.

Three who are now shy (Wyoming, Buffalo, Louisiana Tech) qualified originally, but subsequent remodeling caused their capacities to fall below 30K.  Charlotte, FIU, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky are among the non-qualifiers who are in Conference USA.  It doesn't add to the stature of the conference.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Back in the early 80s when Division 1 split into 1-A and 1-AA the top division required a 30,000 seat stadium.  Maybe we could have stayed in Division 1-A if we had known how lax they would be in their enforcement.  Today, there are 20 universities in the FBS that do not meet that requirement.  There will be 21 next year when Liberty enters with a 25,000 seat stadium.

Three who are now shy (Wyoming, Buffalo, Louisiana Tech) qualified originally, but subsequent remodeling caused their capacities to fall below 30K.  Charlotte, FIU, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky are among the non-qualifiers who are in Conference USA.  It doesn't add to the stature of the conference.

How did Idaho move up with the Kibbie Dome?  That one always kinda confused me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

I think that if you went school by school in CUSA and looked at their average home attendance you would find that a 20,000 to 25,000 seat stadium is probably appropriate.In fact, based upon recent crowds, both UNT and SMU might have overbuilt.

I'm sure plenty of our fans and students would agree with you, but here's my thought:

Considering how long it takes to build and finance a stadium, you don't plan based upon the crowd you currently have but rather the crowd you hope to have.

• Upvote 3

On 4/20/2018 at 11:55 AM, Coach Bill Lewis said:

Me just trying to check the board when some dude shows up and ruins it

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Based on the global warming propaganda show I saw on "Nova" a couple of nights ago, a big part of this stadium renovation should have included raising the campus elevation. They showed an ODU campus sign and lots of shots from Norfolk to illustrate rising sea levels and the coming disaster.

I'm not sure why you want to poop on the Football Board.  If you really want to discuss the NOVA program or climate change in general the more appropriate forum would be the nest.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

Appears not everyone is on board with the price tag.  He makes some good points, but lost me when he stated that, outside of the Alamodome, FAU's erector set was the nicest facility in CUSA and one of the nicest G5 stadiums.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/article_562dd6ef-d913-52f3-9d5f-e963ec34c3c3.html

I am an admitted UNT homer, but when you state that FAU's $70 million stadium is nicer than Apogee, well you should just be quiet.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Appears not everyone is on board with the price tag.  He makes some good points, but lost me when he stated that, outside of the Alamodome, FAU's erector set was the nicest facility in CUSA and one of the nicest G5 stadiums.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/article_562dd6ef-d913-52f3-9d5f-e963ec34c3c3.html

I am an admitted UNT homer, but when you state that FAU's $70 million stadium is nicer than Apogee, well you should just be quiet.

FAU’s stadium has a beautiful backdrop and location near the beach.  I do not think the stadium itself is physically better than ours.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, wardly said:

I think that if you went school by school in CUSA and looked at their average home attendance you would find that a 20,000 to 25,000 seat stadium is probably appropriate.In fact, based upon recent crowds, both UNT and SMU might have overbuilt.

But SMU needs that capacity when UNT plays there.

• Haha 2

On 4/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, wardly said:

North Texas averaged just north of 22k last season, which would put the stadium at 73% of capacity.

I remember when NT was looking to build the new FB stadium, people were clamoring for a 45k stadium.

• Lovely Take 1