Column: This men’s basketball roster is finally McCasland’s

Skipper

Andrew,

Yes Gibson and Simmons were Benford recruits, but Coach Mc got them to stay (re-recruited). Triili and Benford were 

good recruiters, but couldn't coach a lick!!!!! I watched two Benford games and never went back. Saw more coaching in one 

half last yeae than in 4 years under Benford.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Not trying to back Benford here... but he also recruited Simmons and Gibson. I rarely read the NT Daily, but if your that close to the campus get your stuff together and gather legit information...

He signed Simmons. He recruited Gibson, but Gibson committed and signed under Mccasland. Mccasland could have released Simmons from his LOI like he did with Wainwright, but he didn't which means Simmons is as much his guy as the players he did sign. 

This article clearly is about how Mccasland has crafted this roster to resemble what he wants his roster to look like, rather than a roster he inherited. Not about who gets credit for which player, which Benford could only take credit for Simmons and Woolridge at this point. Not Gibson. Woolridge and Simmons may have signed under Benford but that doesn't change the fact that they are only still on the roster at this point because Mccasland wants them, not just because he inherited them like with Lawson, Holston, Fuller, and Temara.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 3

It's really comical how we spin things on this board. This team finished the regular season and conference tournament 2 games below .500. 7th, I believe, in the conference. Easily, playing the worst basketball in the conference to end the season. Out of no where, and a total shock to the players, we get invited to a tournament that better teams passed on. The record gets padded and now we are the class of the conference heading into next year.  Winning 20 games in a season has become so watered down playing 38-40 games a season.

I'm happy to see some improvement in the program (over the past few years) but I can't get excited by the luxury afforded this coaching staff; coming behind a bad coach with only 8 wins to improve upon. Now there are attempts to give the new guy credit for the other guys recruit(s). We continue to play games with attendance numbers as though folks actually flocked to the Super Pit throughout the year.    

In all sincerity, I'm happy for the very late season success, albeit in a tournament I remain very much opposed to. I understand trying to manufacture success and school pride with co-workers and friends outside the UNT community but please can we contain this narrative on this UNT sport forum; where many actually know better.

Ok, everyone can proceed to play with the cute red down arrow icons (or whatever they are called) 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 8

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

It's really comical how we spin things on this board. This team finished the regular season and conference tournament 2 games below .500. 7th, I believe, in the conference. Easily, playing the worst basketball in the conference to end the season. Out of no where, and a total shock to the players, we get invited to a tournament that better teams passed on. The record gets padded and now we are the class of the conference heading into next year.  Winning 20 games in a season has become so watered down playing 38-40 games a season.

I'm happy to see some improvement in the program (over the past few years) but I can't get excited by the luxury afforded this coaching staff; coming behind a bad coach with only 8 wins to improve upon. Now there are attempts to give the new guy credit for the other guys recruit(s). We continue to play games with attendance numbers as though folks actually flocked to the Super Pit throughout the year.    

In all sincerity, I'm happy for the very late season success, albeit in a tournament I remain very much opposed to. I understand trying to manufacture success and school pride with co-workers and friends outside the UNT community but please can we contain this narrative on this UNT sport forum; where many actually know better.

Ok, everyone can proceed to play with the cute red down arrow icons (or whatever they are called) 

I think it is more of a great drink of water after being in the great drought of Benford for so long. While I think some might want to make this the best thing since sliced bread most still know where we are.

Lots of good still, we received more practice with a new coach. 

Regardless of tournament we still won it.

More winning helps a team know they can win.

Finished season on a high note.

Biggest plus Harry got me to go to my first Basketball game since the Mid 80's, first time back in the Pit since my graduation ceremony..

I think this tournament is well worth the money and I would think worth the extra practice alone. 

I agree the kool aid was flowing a bit but nothing wrong with that  after what our Basketball Fans have endured 

10 hours ago, Cooley said:

It's really comical how we spin things on this board. This team finished the regular season and conference tournament 2 games below .500. 7th, I believe, in the conference. Easily, playing the worst basketball in the conference to end the season.

It's a really simple concept. That team is long gone. That team had Lawson playing the majority of the minutes at the 3 and Holston and Temara playing the majority of the minutes at the 4. Three guys who other teams continually dared to beat them, and were unable to due to their severely limited offensive games. 

Then we saw how much better Mccasland's offense, and team, looks when he actually has guys in there who he recruited, who are not liabilities on offense, can actually burn other teams for leaving them open, and can hit above 60% from the free throw line. Now we get that starting five back, get three more key players who Mccasland signed who were sitting out, plus have four more spots for him to get more guys like Smart, Duffy, Miller, and Gibson rather than guys taking up spots who don't fit.

That's why the up-tick next year is expected, and why the concern of the late-season sputter was almost completely erased once we stopped playing the players who were the main cause for it and started beating teams by wider margins than we had all year.

I'm happy to see some improvement in the program (over the past few years) but I can't get excited by the luxury afforded this coaching staff; coming behind a bad coach with only 8 wins to improve upon. Now there are attempts to give the new guy credit for the other guys recruit(s).

I explained this to Andrew too, but the article was not about giving credit to Mccasland for Benford's recruits. It's saying that with the departure of four of the five scholarship Benford players Mccasland inherited, the guys on this roster are either guys he signed or guys he still wants here (Woolridge, Simmons, Draper). It's his roster now. He doesn't have to play with guys he inherited who did not fit his scheme anymore, like he did last year.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Cooley said:

Yea, I guess if we had won 9 games that still would of been an improvement? Discount his record because the coaches previous record? What a CROCK!

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I think it is more of a great drink of water after being in the great drought of Benford for so long. While I think some might want to make this the best thing since sliced bread most still know where we are.

Lots of good still, we received more practice with a new coach. 

Regardless of tournament we still won it.

More winning helps a team know they can win.

Finished season on a high note.

Biggest plus Harry got me to go to my first Basketball game since the Mid 80's, first time back in the Pit since my graduation ceremony..

I think this tournament is well worth the money and I would think worth the extra practice alone. 

I agree the kool aid was flowing a bit but nothing wrong with that  after what our Basketball Fans have endured 

This is so accurate.  I think we all realize where the program is and where it is headed, finally the right direction, but the tournament run was great for everyone after years of suffering.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

13 hours ago, Cooley said:

DF3Fne_VwAAsPY5.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Cooley said:

So, would you rather still have Benford?  Give credit where credit is due. Granted, GM inherited some players, but at least he could coach the players he had. Benford had no clue.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Some of the responses to @Cooley's remarks are serious logical fallacies.

He's explaining his trepidation about being super-excited about a team that prior to the CBI was 13-17 VS Division 1 competition.   It's his opinion.  If you disagree, disagree. 

But don't start in with comparing the record to Benford's (heck, both '16-'17 & '17-'18 teams lost in the first round of the conference tourney)  - Strawman.    Benford's record should not be the benchmark for success.
Or, providing the only alternative as "you'd rather have Benford..."  - Black/White.     I highly doubt he thinks that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Cooley said:

Progress is promising and I am not sure how anyone doesn't see that in McCasland first year.   The record has obviously improved , but also the competitiveness of the team.   I have not seen anyone giving McCasland credit for Benford's recruits.  It was stated that his coaching developed these players more than Benford would have done.  I don't see many that would disagree on that point.

I was concerned about McCasland's finish at ASU and NT.  So the  tournament  victory alleviated some of that concern.  I was surprised in the ease that NT won the tournament.  

NT appears to be returning the key players, something that few conference opponents are doing.   I have not seen anyone  predict NT will be the class of the conference.  However, I expect NT to be substantially improved. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Freshman Zach Simmons was progressing nicely during the year after not playing most of his high school years. Jordan Duffy missed most of the year due to injury. A.J. Lawson played with an injured right hand/wrist. Much of the CBI success was the result of Zach Simmons coming on, Jordan Duffy and Michael Miller getting in the lineup, and continued strong play by Ryan Woolridge and Roosevelt Smart. Aside from the first eight minutes of the loss to SF, the team played great for six straight games in the CBI. Heck yes, we can get excited about next year.

Edited by rws69
  • Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, rws69 said:

Freshman Zach Simmons was progressing nicely during the year after not playing most of his high school years. Jordan Duffy missed most of the year due to injury. A.J. Lawson played with an injured right hand/wrist. Much of the CBI success was the result of Zach Simmons coming on, Jordan Duffy and Michael Miller getting in the lineup, and continued strong play by Ryan Woolridge and Roosevelt Smart. Aside from the first eight minutes of the loss to SF, the team played great for six straight games in the CBI. Heck yes, we can get excited about next year.

Easy there.  How dare you bring facts in to the conversation.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1