NCAA Significantly Changes Kickoff Rules

Cerebus

FootballScoop: NCAA changes kickoff rule, allows kicks in field of play to become touchbacks

Moving forward, kickoffs that land inside the field of play between the goal line and the 25-yard line can now be fair caught and taken to the 25 as touchbacks. The move essentially extends the end zone out 25 yards on kickoffs, a significant and obvious attempt to limit the number of runbacks.

49 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Wow what would be the strategy now for a kickoff team. 25yd line is crazy, maybe the 10yd line?

If I were a head coach, I would implement a sort of onside where instead of 10 yards to the side, you just kick it straight at the ground as hard as you can and try to bounce it as high off the ground as possible. Maybe something happens.

Something like this without the language.

also they are going to  or still talking about putting a 40 second clock on the extra points and kick offs.  How about get rid of the red man who slows everything down.   The other parts of the game go fast it is the commercial breaks that kill it.  KNUT plays a zillion PA during the game.  There is got to be reward for being at the game but we suffer through the commercial breaks like the radio and tv people.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

If I were a head coach, I would implement a sort of onside where instead of 10 yards to the side, you just kick it straight at the ground as hard as you can and try to bounce it as high off the ground as possible. Maybe something happens.

Something like this without the language.

That video is something you see often in younger levels of football.  Players treat the ball like it's a punt.  In 7th grade I recovered this type of "onside" kick.

I can see what they're trying to do here.  They're trying to add incentives to fair catches to reduce the number of injuries on those plays.  However, I don't agree with the way they're going about it.  They could start with just giving the receiving team +5 yards from the fair catch spot.  That way a fair catch on the 3 still keeps them deep in their own zone.  Just a thought.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:38 PM, southsideguy said:

also they are going to  or still talking about putting a 40 second clock on the extra points and kick offs.  How about get rid of the red man who slows everything down.   The other parts of the game go fast it is the commercial breaks that kill it.  KNUT plays a zillion PA during the game.  There is got to be reward for being at the game but we suffer through the commercial breaks like the radio and tv people.

KNTU PSA=Tim Crouch' announcing anything.

Rick