Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Cerebus

NCAA Significantly Changes Kickoff Rules

Recommended Posts

FootballScoop: NCAA changes kickoff rule, allows kicks in field of play to become touchbacks

Quote

 Moving forward, kickoffs that land inside the field of play between the goal line and the 25-yard line can now be fair caught and taken to the 25 as touchbacks. The move essentially extends the end zone out 25 yards on kickoffs, a significant and obvious attempt to limit the number of runbacks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean I get we can't get rid of the kickoff altogether so teams have an opportunity to run it back or for onside kicks. 

But dang, maybe just give them the option to not return it or to not KO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Wow what would be the strategy now for a kickoff team. 25yd line is crazy, maybe the 10yd line?

If I were a head coach, I would implement a sort of onside where instead of 10 yards to the side, you just kick it straight at the ground as hard as you can and try to bounce it as high off the ground as possible. Maybe something happens.

 

Something like this without the language.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The receiving team can still attempt to return the kick by not signaling a fair catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree.  It seems like a temporary step toward eventual elimination altogether.

Didn't the new pro league announce that they will not have kickoffs?  Seems like a trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also they are going to  or still talking about putting a 40 second clock on the extra points and kick offs.  How about get rid of the red man who slows everything down.   The other parts of the game go fast it is the commercial breaks that kill it.  KNUT plays a zillion PA during the game.  There is got to be reward for being at the game but we suffer through the commercial breaks like the radio and tv people.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be curious to know the injury history during the returns.  Is it really that bad or is this just a move so they can say "look, we tried?"  I personally find this ridiculous.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

If I were a head coach, I would implement a sort of onside where instead of 10 yards to the side, you just kick it straight at the ground as hard as you can and try to bounce it as high off the ground as possible. Maybe something happens.

 

Something like this without the language.

 

That video is something you see often in younger levels of football.  Players treat the ball like it's a punt.  In 7th grade I recovered this type of "onside" kick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shark84 said:

How about just make it two hand touch. 

Can't make it two below. Someone might get offended. Trophies for everybody!!!! 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Aldo said:

I mean I get we can't get rid of the kickoff altogether so teams have an opportunity to run it back or for onside kicks. 

But dang, maybe just give them the option to not return it or to not KO. 

It would be like an intentional walk....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ole Green Guts said:

It would be like an intentional walk....

This is like an intentional walk...to 2nd base.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see what they're trying to do here.  They're trying to add incentives to fair catches to reduce the number of injuries on those plays.  However, I don't agree with the way they're going about it.  They could start with just giving the receiving team +5 yards from the fair catch spot.  That way a fair catch on the 3 still keeps them deep in their own zone.  Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 3:38 PM, southsideguy said:

also they are going to  or still talking about putting a 40 second clock on the extra points and kick offs.  How about get rid of the red man who slows everything down.   The other parts of the game go fast it is the commercial breaks that kill it.  KNUT plays a zillion PA during the game.  There is got to be reward for being at the game but we suffer through the commercial breaks like the radio and tv people.

KNTU PSA=Tim Crouch' announcing anything.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.