DRC: Examining UNT's 2018 schedule

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

National TV: +1

Thursday Night: -1

That can't help attendance either...

I think the Alumni side may be hurt by it somewhat, but the student side will likely explode.

I remember the Halloween game VS Rice (The Stand) was VERY WELL attended.

People will make it a point to come see this game if both teams remain on their projected trajectories.  It will be huge in deciding which team will host the C-USA Championship game.

The games that worry me are smu, Ark, FAU.  We got manhandled in the trenches by teams with solid FBS depth there.  Teams that ran tempo absolutely killed us.  SMU graduated some, but they have been recruiting better than us.  FAU graduated nobody and is still out recruiting us.  Ark is SEC and is gifted the type of linemen that we can only dream of.  Our guys are a year older, will have another offseason under their belts to grow/mature.  It will help us expand the gap on the also-rans in CUSA, but we were so dominated by smu, FAU and Troy that I have a hard time seeing us close that gap entirely in one season.

I say those 3 are losses, the rest are wins.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Theyve already done it once

I know Arky will be tough especially with SEC refs on the road, however FAU is our toughest, most fearsome opponent on the 2018 schedule.  Arky is in rebuild moving from a pro to wide open.  Will take them a couple years to get the right players.  FAU is just reloading and will have one of the best running backs in the nation.  FAU is already a top 25 caliber team (received 32 votes at end of last season) and could make a major run in 2018.  They have OU and Boston College but other than that they will be favored in every single other game.

33 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know Arky will be tough especially with SEC refs on the road, however FAU is our toughest, most fearsome opponent on the 2018 schedule.  Arky is in rebuild moving from a pro to wide open.  Will take them a couple years to get the right players.  FAU is just reloading and will have one of the best running backs in the nation.  FAU is already a top 25 caliber team (received 32 votes at end of last season) and could make a major run in 2018.  They have OU and Boston College but other than that they will be favored in every single other game.

I would not be surprised to see them favored in the BC matchup.    Wonder if losing both coordinators last year will affect the team though (I think it will, negatively).   Gotta believe Little Weis is not on Little Briles' level.   And Chris Kiffin was likely the best defensive coordinator in G5 last year... as evidenced by his promotion to the San Francisco 49ers.

• Thanks 1

I hate Thursday night games.   Families with school aged kids often won't be able to attend.   Our daughter and grandson won't be coming.   Fans who live away from the DFW area have a hard time getting there for a weekday game with work the next day.    I hope we are getting a BUNCH of money to move this game.     What I REALLY hope is that this turns out to be one of those things that you hear about that never happens.   That would suit me just fine. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

The idea that FAU could paste us by 50 on national TV kinda worries me.

If they beat OU and UCF they will be on a conquest to beat every CUSA team by as much as possible... 13-0 without a loss in 20+ games isn't out of the question for Kiffin Atlantic.  

They want a Natty, either real or UCF grade... 

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, TIgreen01 said:

The games that worry me are smu, Ark, FAU.  We got manhandled in the trenches by teams with solid FBS depth there.  Teams that ran tempo absolutely killed us.  SMU graduated some, but they have been recruiting better than us.  FAU graduated nobody and is still out recruiting us.  Ark is SEC and is gifted the type of linemen that we can only dream of.  Our guys are a year older, will have another offseason under their belts to grow/mature.  It will help us expand the gap on the also-rans in CUSA, but we were so dominated by smu, FAU and Troy that I have a hard time seeing us close that gap entirely in one season.

I say those 3 are losses, the rest are wins.

I'd add in UAB here, too. I think their recruiting has been absolutely great and their head coach is a winner. They will be really tough to beat, since we play them in Birmingham this season.

• Upvote 2

SMU - Give us a close L, I think we're severely underestimating Daniel Dykes. 

Incarnate Word - This one's gonna be a tough L. We'll have no motivation after losing to SMU.

@ Arkansas - I think we play it close, but L. 

@ Liberty - North Texas decides to tank for the top draft pick and secures this with a giant L.

LA Tech - Apogee's cell service depletes to such a degree that the headsets on the sideline don't even work. L. 

@ UTEP - Tank rolls on. L. 

Southern Miss - The grown ups finally have had enough of the younglings yelling "Motherf----ing Eagles" during the fight song. A fight breaks out by the west gate and rolls onto the field mid game. Team gets distracted, big time L. 

@ UAB - The team's equipment manager accidentally leaves the uniforms running on high cycle all night before the game. They have to play in essentially undergarments. L. 

Rice - Houston can't lose at anything right now, so this'll be a defaming L.

@ ODU - ODU spends the whole week practicing punts. L. 

FAU - ya know i like our chances in this one, give us a fat L 

@ UTSA - AH. Now this one I can see us winning. Went 96 yards in a minute, we can totally pu - wait, we're still employing Troy Reffett? Never mind, give us an L. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, largekfcbucket said:

Incarnate Word - This one's gonna be a tough L. We'll have no motivation after losing to SMU.

@ Liberty - North Texas decides to tank for the top draft pick and secures this with a giant L.

LA Tech - Apogee's cell service depletes to such a degree that the headsets on the sideline don't even work. L. 

Southern Miss - The grown ups finally have had enough of the younglings yelling "Motherf----ing Eagles" during the fight song. A fight breaks out by the west gate and rolls onto the field mid game. Team gets distracted, big time L. 

@ UAB - The team's equipment manager accidentally leaves the uniforms running on high cycle all night before the game. They have to play in essentially undergarments. L. 

@ UTSA - AH. Now this one I can see us winning. Went 96 yards in a minute, we can totally pu - wait, we're still employing Troy Reffett? Never mind, give us an L. 

06F5E77C-6CF2-4D11-BEB3-2B1E4EC2857D.gif

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, largekfcbucket said:

This game you're playing, you are a terrible at it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2018 at 11:45 AM, largekfcbucket said:

not-bad-gif-15.gif

• Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, Huff said:

I hate Thursday night games.   Families with school aged kids often won't be able to attend.   Our daughter and grandson won't be coming.   Fans who live away from the DFW area have a hard time getting there for a weekday game with work the next day.    I hope we are getting a BUNCH of money to move this game.     What I REALLY hope is that this turns out to be one of those things that you hear about that never happens.   That would suit me just fine. 

It looks like its happening.  I first found out about it on your board and then yesterday at our spring game they were handing out season schedule posters with the date change.  The previous poster they were handing out at the ticket office had the 17th.  I am kind of bummed, wanted to come up for the game will have to make a decision closer to game day maybe game week.  Oh well, should be a great game but short week prime time game pushes things in your favor a little bit more than a typical home game.  Such is life.  Odd no official announcement on either side.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2018 at 1:48 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would not be surprised to see them favored in the BC matchup.    Wonder if losing both coordinators last year will affect the team though (I think it will, negatively).   Gotta believe Little Weis is not on Little Briles' level.   And Chris Kiffin was likely the best defensive coordinator in G5 last year... as evidenced by his promotion to the San Francisco 49ers.

Lane called plays last year, and will again this year.  He brought Briles in solely to learn the tempo side of the Baylor offense along with some passing game schemes.  He had run game side of it covered and you saw that in plenty of their games,  that wasn't the Baylor run game schemes FAU ran.  An excellent collaboration between two very good offensive coaches (literally and figuratively).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1