Little off the topic but in our stadium

southsideguy

I saw a group was having a big up to do at Apogee stadium.  I cannot remember what the meeting is about  or who is sponsoring it ,but was shocked who the guest speaker is.  Dale Hanson, yes the most important sports reporter in the world.  I have three questions about the speaking engagement.  First does Hanson know where Denton is? 2 Does he know what Apogee is? 3 Does he know what college team plays in the stadium?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I saw a group was having a big up to do at Apogee stadium.  I cannot remember what the meeting is about  or who is sponsoring it ,but was shocked who the guest speaker is.  Dale Hanson, yes the most important sports reporter in the world.  I have three questions about the speaking engagement.  First does Hanson know where Denton is? 2 Does he know what Apogee is? 3 Does he know what college team plays in the stadium?

Get ready for several back-handed compliments and sarcastic comments about Apogee & the Mean Green while he's here.

• Sad 1

Dale's daughter did go to North Texas.  The first Don January Golf Tournament was a success in large part due to Dale's participation.  He is quirky, but I have had generally good relations with him relative to North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Dale pays attention to anyone who is winning and draws eyeballs. UNT just hasn’t given him any reason to cover them much, but SMU has been the same with him, too. When they were cheating and winning, he brought them down. That’s his MO. He covers teams that garner lots of interest, while ignoring those who don’t. His ratings suggest he’s doing things right.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

There's a good chance he was up there speaking to the Sports Broadcasting class, which our own Hank Dickenson is the professor of. They typically meet in the Bill Mercer Press Club or the big media hall.

People that spoke when I was in the class included Gina Miller, George Dunham, Ralph Strangis, Brad Sham and the aforementioned Dale Hansen.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2018 at 10:29 PM, Mean Green Matt said:

I don't believe Dale mentioned the CBI at all. For a local reporter that's embarrassing. 

Then the fan base needs to be emailing in and Tweeting at the local reporters saying they missed out. CBS 11, Bill Jones, he seems to do the most UNT but Ch8 seems to have multiple UNT Alumni on air and directing. 

Maybe even email the UNT AD communications staff about it. Maybe the stations are doing it but not promoting it and UNT should be promoting it.

• Thanks 1