How Impressed Are You At The Roster Littrell Has Built?

BillySee58

22 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Everyone knows that getting a game changer QB is hard.  I would argue that getting a game changer DL is even harder.   

I've gotten to the point that I understand getting a true game changing DL at a G5 is a once a decade (if you're lucky) event.  I am not ready to get down on the staff for not recruiting one.

However, linebackers are another story.  Not only are there many more good LBs out there that can fall to G5, we have had a history of getting good ones.  The recruiting I have been most dissapointed in is at the LB position.  

I think the best case scenario is getting a guy blossom like Marcus Davenport at UTSA -- taking a flyer on a talent and watching him bloom -- and the more likely case is gettin a handful of Flusches -- which is not a bad idea. Andy and his like were good, dependable, and made plays. We just needed more. It would be like that 2013 DLine -- Orr, Boutwell et al -- that are not NFLers but clearly made a huge impact in that league at that level. 

We need 4-and-5 year senior DL that can come in and do a job. Then we wouldn't be overreliant on a Bryce English.

• Upvote 2

My thoughts.

The roster was better in year two than in year one.

The roster is better in year three than in year two. 

Will they go 12-0? I don't think so but they will win between 8 or more games. have back to back winning seasons and a third straight bowl. And that hasn't been a regular theme around here the past 100 years. 

Rome wasnt built in a day continue to improve the roster and facilities year in and year out and grow the fan base. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/9/2018 at 3:02 PM, aztecskin said:

I think the best case scenario is getting a guy blossom like Marcus Davenport at UTSA -- taking a flyer on a talent and watching him bloom -- and the more likely case is gettin a handful of Flusches -- which is not a bad idea. Andy and his like were good, dependable, and made plays. We just needed more. It would be like that 2013 DLine -- Orr, Boutwell et al -- that are not NFLers but clearly made a huge impact in that league at that level. 

We need 4-and-5 year senior DL that can come in and do a job. Then we wouldn't be overreliant on a Bryce English.

I would still like to se the staff take 1 or 2 flyers on high upside/risky players like they did with Johnson/Hayes/Hoston.

Yes it may muddy up the waters in terms of scholarships but SL and the staff has added kids during the summer to fill those open spots in the past. 

• Upvote 1

Somewhat impressed.

His hit rate on JUCO players is high. Wheeler, Ejiya, Guyton etc. have made massive contributions. McConney was like 20% on JUCO players.

I remember posting here a long time ago wondering when we would find our own Kolton Browning, Keith Wenning, Case Keenum etc..

He found that player and then some with a month to put together his first class. Fine will reset nearly every passing record here that alone is proof that he has the ability to find diamonds in the rough, but you simply can't rely on these type of  signings long term.

The only problem I have is the fact that we still seem to get beat more often than not for players that we want in recruiting. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. We have to do better there. That will catch up to us eventually.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having a good set of decision criteria is the best way to set up a roster. The flyers we've taken likely have met one or two aspects but not all. We are much better at this on offense than on defense. We know what we are looking for and get those guys, and turn them into productive contributors. 

None of this is particularly surprising. 

• Thanks 1