Favorite Mean Green Game

hickoryhouse

After last night's amazing CBI Tournament victory I have been evaluating my favorite moments in Mean Green sports that I have personally experienced and wanted to share my top 3.   We have such a diverse crowd here on GMG with years of experience with joy and heartbreak of following this crazy ass University, I wonder what other top 3 lists would be.

1:  Tearing Down the Goal Posts after winning the Sun Belt was the first time I remember being truly invested in the team and the University.  It was a defining moment in my studies at the University and is probably a major reason I am as big of a fan as I am now.   That night was an amazing night, I made a bunch of good friends and became a fan of UNT for good.

2.  CBI Tournament.  I couldn't narrow it down to one game, though Game 3 might have something to say about it.  These past 2 weeks have been a truly awesome and fun experience.  I was at all of the home games and it was amazing to watch the crowd get bigger and bigger each game.  I had a tear in my eye watching Smart slam the ball to the floor in triumph as the buzzer sounded.  what a moment!

3.  The Stand...   What can you say about that...   I have never in my life seen anything quite like it.  I still find myself watching the youtube video, hearing George Dunham's play by play and getting a bit worked up.    We were in the opposite end zone on the front row and making all of the noise!  Somehow I thought that it was ok the slap a brick wall to add to the noise...  my hands told me otherwise for days afterwards.  I bought my season tickets for the next year because of that series and have been sitting up front ever since.

Just thinking through these moments brings back some proud memories and good times.   It was quite enjoyable to be able to add to that list these past couple weeks and I can't wait for next season in all sports!

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

When I was a student/early alumni, Oklahoma St and Tech wins in the Super Pit were great.  Since then, The Stand and The Drive both stick out.  The road wins in Ruston have been good too.  As frustrated as I wound up with Dan though, I’ve never had a greater feeling of relief and happiness than the uber ride back from the Cotton Bowl on 1/1/14.  That was a gigantic weight off the shoulders and I’ve been a lot happier person ever since. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I agree with all of the above. 

The Ball St game in 2013 has always stuck with me for some reason as well. Not a big name opponent at all, though good that year. Not sure why this game always sticks out for me, but I recall it vividly. 

That was a great hint as to what was to come with that team.  We out physicialed a team that was a well respected G5 for quite some time.  Also showed what can happen if we take advantage of the Texas heat in September if we schedule smart.  That was a big one.  

On 3/31/2018 at 12:52 PM, meanrob said:

If you go by how much I lost my sh*t at the end of the game, then it's the victory over Tech in 1997. 

The one in '88...with 20 fewer scholarships was pretty good too.

My list...

1. Beating TCU in football in '86

2. Beating Tech and Rice in football in '88.

3. The Drive in '17

4..  1988 SLC Conference Basketball Champiinship at The Super Pit on ESPN.

5.  The CBI Championship in '18.  San Francisco may be the best team we've beaten in the SP in who knows how long?

6. Beating Oregon State in football in '95.

7.  Beating Tech in football in  '97.

6. Beating Tech in football in '99.

7. Beating  NMSU in football in '02 for the Belt Championship.

8. Beating Cincinnati in N.O. Bowl in '02

9.  Beating ASU in mbb for the Belt Post Season Tourney at ULL.

10.  HOD Bowl win over UNLV.

11. Beating Baylor in football in '03

Honorable Mention:

Beating SMU in football in '90, '06 and '14, 

Beating TCU by 25 in mbb in '87 at the SP..  

Miracle In The Desert in '01 vs NMSU.

Beating Tech in '11 in mbb at the SP.

Beating Oklahoma State in '07 in mbb at the SP.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1. The Army game this year. I  made a comment before the game  that if they let UNT get the ball with a little time and the game on the line, that Fine would stick  it to them.

2. The 2003 Baylor game.  The Baylor fans were stunned.  My son and I listened to a group of Baylor fans as they left the stadium.  It was pretty funny.

3.  Lance Dunbar in his last game in 2011,   when he set a number of records against Middle Tennessee.  He had 313 yards rushing  and also  set the career rush record on a cold and rainy night.

• Upvote 2

2002 season opener against UT. I had just enrolled at UNT so this was my first experience as a fan. We may have lost but watching Booger have his way with the UT O-line was a treat (I was never a fan of the shorthorns to begin with). This was a talent loaded team that was fun to watch give a lot of bigger name schools hell.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Over a dozen posts and no mention of Tennessee, which was before I started at NT in 76.  A good sign that we are developing a younger fan base.

Mr. Rick Spears is the only NT Alumn I personally knew who was actually there to see it.  He passed away three years ago.  I'm sure there are others but I don't remember meeting anyone else who saw it?

And of course I've met Sears Woods, who definitely was there.

Rick

1) 1977 beating SMU 24-13 while they were cheating like crazy, then watching their Saturday morning highlight show.  They wouldn't even show any highlights of the game.

2) 1975 beating Houston 28-0 and then they win the SWC the next year.

3) 1978 listening to us beat New Mexico State on the radio and then going to the Mean Green Club the following Monday to watch the game film.  That was the game were Jordan Case stuck the ball over the goal line and we went for two to come from behind and win 22-21.

Edited by UNT86
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

19 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

The one in '88...with 20 fewer scholarships was pretty good too.

My list...

1. Beating TCU in football in '86

2. Beating Tech and Rice in football in '88.

3. The Drive in '17

4..  1988 SLC Conference Basketball Champiinship at The Super Pit on ESPN.

5.  The CBI Championship in '18.  San Francisco may be the best team we've beaten in the SP in who knows how long?

6. Beating Oregon State in football in '95.

7.  Beating Tech in football in  '97.

6. Beating Tech in football in '99.

7. Beating  NMSU in football in '02 for the Belt Championship.

8. Beating Cincinnati in N.O. Bowl in '02

9.  Beating ASU in mbb for the Belt Post Season Tourney at ULL.

10.  HOD Bowl win over UNLV.

11. Beating Baylor in football in '03

Honorable Mention:

Beating SMU in football in '90, '06 and '14, 

Beating TCU by 25 in mbb in '87 at the SP..  

Miracle In The Desert in '03 vs NMSU.

Beating Tech in '11 in mbb at the SP.

Beating Oklahoma State in '07 in mbb at the SP.

Rick

Great list...but the Miracle in the Desert was in ‘01

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

Football:

1) "The Stand" game against Rice in 2013.

2) Lance Dunbar in the rain against MTSU in 2011 for the record in my last game as a student. Ran to apogee in the rain to watch it and it was the coolest atmosphere for a game with no one there.  

3) "The Drive" against UTSA this year.

Basketball:

1) Watching (from C-USA.net) the little bro get his first career start in his last college game at Marshall last year. 

2) The CBI Championship. The whole run and the way The Pit showed out as we kept advancing.

3) Rushing the court as a student after beating Tech in 2009? 2010?

Honorable Mention: Attending NCAA 1st Round Game in OKC in 2010.

14 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Great list...but the Miracle in the Desert was in ‘01

Yes, but we did beat NMSU in Denton in '02, whoever won that game was the SBC champion and would go to the NO Bowl.  NMSU brought an incredible amount of fans, possibly the most ever visiting fans to Fouts, and we won.

A great game.