So let's recap here

oldguystudent

Yeah...it has certainly been enjoyable. Just the enjoyment of competitiveness is a breath of fresh air, winning aside. This basketball team were plays away from being a 26 or 27 win team with all of their nailbiting losses. It's unbelievable. Football program needs to take a page from the bball team and learn about competing through your losses. Either way, both programs look to be setup for multiple more years of success. 

Hopefully each program can bottle the momentum throughout the off season and unleash it on Sep 1. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

19 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

Your are correct.  Baker got the liberty Christian campus done, got the stadium built, hired Littrell, Mitchell, stracke, kee, llama, hedlund....convinced Ernie to get on board, on boarded Westheimer for the golf practice facility......

it was time for r.v. to go, but don’t constantly call people who donated millions to move this thing along, and are still donating millions to keep it moving idiots.  It’s old and tired two years down the road.

Some of this is phantom credit and you know it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8

34 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

Your are correct.  Baker got the liberty Christian campus done, got the stadium built, hired Littrell, Mitchell, stracke, kee, llama, hedlund....convinced Ernie to get on board, on boarded Westheimer for the golf practice facility......

it was time for r.v. to go, but don’t constantly call people who donated millions to move this thing along, and are still donating millions to keep it moving idiots.  It’s old and tired two years down the road.

To clarify one point about soccer, RV didn't hire Hedlund. It was probably Helwig, but I didn't go back to double check the years. Could have been pre-Helwig. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

I didn't say r.v. hired hedlund.  I said baker hired........litrell, Mitchell, stracke, Lee, llama, hedlund....  

My point is there are a few people that have so much hatred for a person that they can't and won't ever let it go.  Hatred for someone that still supports this place with his time and money.  Hatred for a person that when he got here and the first day I met him had a 5 gallon bucket sitting on his desk catching rain water from a roof in a piece of crap building next to a piece of crap stadium,  and somehow with smoke and mirrors closed a piece of crap golf course, bought a private school campus,  moved a soccer team from intramural fields to a dedicated stadium, built a dedicated athletic center.....apogee....and on and on, all while being hamstrung with no money or support from a university that we all agree did not want to support.   

And we call this "group of 17" idiots for donating and following this vision.   All of which to a person still donate large sums of money today.

But hey, I don't give one shit about a university that gave me an education, gave my wife an education, my mother two degrees, my brother in law two degrees, my sister in law two degrees, my friend old guy student....

It was all because I wanted to keep my drinking buddy.......

You can all go to hell, I'll stay right here in Denton, Texas 

All I was doing was making a small correction (about one of our teams that I follow very closely) when it was CLEARLY being implied that RV hired its head coach. Take a deep breath. :)

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

my friend old guy student....

On that note, without the benevolent financial contributions from @flyonthewall in exchange for nothing of particular value, I would likely have never completed my grad school endeavors at UNT -- I simply wouldn't have been able to survive.  

And now as a chain reaction, my daughter is in TAMS kicking ass, taking names, doing some shit with NASA that I don't understand, and making so much money in scholarships, I had to explain it to the IRS. 

There are plenty of world views upon which we disagree, but his intentions and heart are solid.  Questioning them predicated upon a departed AD two years after the fact is fishing in water long since passed under the bridge.  

Happy Easter everybody.  I'm spending it unraveling the finances of some jerk who thought it would be a splendid idea to go day trading in royalty trusts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think RV was ready for an AD position at a D1 school, and I think employing him for 15 years was very questionable judgment.  RV did start with next to nothing and accomplished a lot of things.  However, I don't believe now versus than comparisons are as important as evaluations based on reasonable expectations relative to peer institutions. 

I think almost all NT fans are elated with the group of substantial donors that RV developed.    Hopefully, they stay committed and a great number are added. 

NT athletics by almost any standard are going the right direction.  Would it be better are worse without RV?  Frankly, there is no right answer, only opinions. 

RV did some good things and some not so good things.  One of the good things was to help with a lot of capital projects and helping to build up a core base of larger donors that got things going in a positive direction.  Unfortunately, several of his hires did not work out and eventually were a leading reason he lost his job.

I wish we could have made a change 4 or 5 years earlier, but with the administration that was in place at the time, I am not sure it would have made a lot of difference.  I definitely got the feeling that once Apogee was completed that he wanted to take a breather, but what we needed was to hit the gas.  I feel like the new staff has brought a new energy that was sorely needed.

I am thankful for what he started, but grateful that we have the new staff in place to lead us into the next chapter.  Early returns are pretty promising.

I hope to continue to see RV at events and look forward to his continued support of the program. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

RV did some good things and some not so good things.  One of the good things was to help with a lot of capital projects and helping to build up a core base of larger donors that got things going in a positive direction.  Unfortunately, several of his hires did not work out and eventually were a leading reason he lost his job.

I wish we could have made a change 4 or 5 years earlier, but with the administration that was in place at the time, I am not sure it would have made a lot of difference.  I definitely got the feeling that once Apogee was completed that he wanted to take a breather, but what we needed was to hit the gas.  I feel like the new staff has brought a new energy that was sorely needed.

I am thankful for what he started, but grateful that we have the new staff in place to lead us into the next chapter.  Early returns are pretty promising.

I hope to continue to see RV at events and look forward to his continued support of the program. 

9 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

All I was doing was making a small correction (about one of our teams that I follow very closely) when it was CLEARLY being implied that RV hired its head coach. Take a deep breath. :)

Dilly dilly...............seriuosly....

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

I didn't say r.v. hired hedlund.  I said baker hired........litrell, Mitchell, stracke, Lee, llama, hedlund....  

My point is there are a few people that have so much hatred for a person that they can't and won't ever let it go.  Hatred for someone that still supports this place with his time and money.  Hatred for a person that when he got here and the first day I met him had a 5 gallon bucket sitting on his desk catching rain water from a roof in a piece of crap building next to a piece of crap stadium,  and somehow with smoke and mirrors closed a piece of crap golf course, bought a private school campus,  moved a soccer team from intramural fields to a dedicated stadium, built a dedicated athletic center.....apogee....and on and on, all while being hamstrung with no money or support from a university that we all agree did not want to support.   

And we call this "group of 17" idiots for donating and following this vision.   All of which to a person still donate large sums of money today.

But hey, I don't give one shit about a university that gave me an education, gave my wife an education, my mother two degrees, my brother in law two degrees, my sister in law two degrees, my friend old guy student....

It was all because I wanted to keep my drinking buddy.......

You can all go to hell, I'll stay right here in Denton, Texas 

I don't hate the man, he just sucked at his job. 

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

No he did not.

Just being devil's advocate here:

Benford, Peterson, Dodge, Fired Dickey, McCarney.

He hired some good coaches too like Jones. Overall the W-L record over his tenure wasn't great. Factilities and donor base are one thing, but I think people(in general) remember the wins and losses a lot more.

I would say Wren has both hired good coaches, and increased donor base/facilities. Wren also started with more. So I think there are two sides to every coin. Either way I'm excited for the future UNT athletics has. 

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I wish we could have made a change 4 or 5 years earlier

The RV we saw the first 5 years he was here, was not the same RV that was here the last five years.

The biggest what if I know about is what if RV and DD could have set aside the animosity and worked TOGETHER when we had that 4 year SBC run, we could be miles and miles ahead of where we are now.  

On 4/1/2018 at 7:15 AM, flyonthewall said:

I don't get the need by some to pile on past coaches and administrators. Were they perfect? No. Were they worthless and accomplish nothing? No. RV and co made advancements during his tenure. Can anyone deny that? Was it time for a change? Yes. I don't think anyone can deny that. I think WB and his team are doing a great job. But they inherited a better situation than RV did and it's better in part because of RV. I'm not an RV friend or apologist. But realistically, he gave 15 years to my school. I have no doubt he tried his best and I can be mature enough to give him credit for his accomplishments. 

The rest of this debate doesn't help NT at all. Would someone else have accomplished more the last 15 years. Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know.

As for the elite donors that "kept RV in place," I have to believe their love of NT outweighed anything to do with RV. So maybe you feel RV was awful and had them duped. Maybe you feel RV did great and gets a bad rap. Either way, criticizing those donors makes little sense because they obviously care about NT. As evidenced by the fact, I think everyone of them is still involved.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I don't get the need by some to pile on past coaches and administrators. Were they perfect? No. Were they worthless and accomplish nothing? No. RV and co made advancements during his tenure. Can anyone deny that? Was it time for a change? Yes. I don't think anyone can deny that. I think WB and his team are doing a great job. But they inherited a better situation than RV did and it's better in part because of RV. I'm not an RV friend or apologist. But realistically, he gave 15 years to my school. I have no doubt he tried his best and I can be mature enough to give him credit for his accomplishments. 

The rest of this debate doesn't help NT at all. Would someone else have accomplished more the last 15 years. Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know.

As for the elite donors that "kept RV in place," I have to believe their love of NT outweighed anything to do with RV. So maybe you feel RV was awful and had them duped. Maybe you feel RV did great and gets a bad rap. Either way, criticizing those donors makes little sense because they obviously care about NT. As evidenced by the fact, I think everyone of them is still involved.

Thank you

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

As far as I know, most, if not all of the so-called "17" are still around... so, yeah.  I'd say you're right.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1