DRC: Wilson, McClain show skills at pro day

Brett Vito

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Let’s hope that 4.56 for Wilson doesn’t hurt his stock

I don't think it will. Draft stock really relies on a lot more than the 40. If he had run really bad or really well, they're d have to go back to the tape and re-assess. This was middle-of-the-pack, so I don't think it means a lot. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2018 at 5:09 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Let’s hope that 4.56 for Wilson doesn’t hurt his stock

I really wish people realized that 4.5 is really a good time for just about any skill kid.   That is a laser time, not the standard bs HS hand time they get at a camp, or by their HS coach.  I'd be willing to bet we have maybe 5 kids in our whole program who could run a sub 4.6 40 laser time. 

Upon on further review they hand timed at the pro day so this time isn't as solid as I thought.  Not a terrible time but not great. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

On 4/2/2018 at 9:13 AM, GMG24 said:

I really wish people realized that 4.5 is really a good time for just about any skill kid.   That is a laser time, not the standard bs HS hand time they get at a camp, or by their HS coach.  I'd be willing to bet we have maybe 5 kids in our whole program who could run a sub 4.6 40 laser time. 

4.56 plus his build.. which is lighter than 220 is not a great time.. his injury history as well..

On 4/1/2018 at 9:21 PM, MGNation92 said:

For reference, that would've be tied for the 13th fastest time for combine RB's. 13th out of 32

Tied for 13th.. so he is middle of the pack, with a multiple leg injuries, and a bad shoulder.. playing at a lighter weight and couldn’t hold up in CUSA vs lighter competition compared to the NFL 

On 4/1/2018 at 12:54 AM, Monkeypox said:

I don't think it will. Draft stock really relies on a lot more than the 40. If he had run really bad or really well, they're d have to go back to the tape and re-assess. This was middle-of-the-pack, so I don't think it means a lot. 

The point is he was middle of the road.. he likely needed people to go back and rewatch his tape because of the number or injuries. I’m going to guess not many teams ran through Apogee this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

4.56 plus his build.. which is lighter than 220 is not a great time.. his injury history as well..

Tied for 13th.. so he is middle of the pack, with a multiple leg injuries, and a bad shoulder.. playing at a lighter weight and couldn’t hold up in CUSA vs lighter competition compared to the NFL 

The point is he was middle of the road.. he likely needed people to go back and rewatch his tape because of the number or injuries. I’m going to guess not many teams ran through Apogee this year.

#clueless 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Alfred Morris was a 1 scheme guy, who like the the Franchise QB the Redskins drafted that year, saw a huge decline in production once Kyle Shannon left.. FYI- Kyle Shannon has done a world of good in places like ATL and SF. Morris played 12 games each year he was at FAU, and rushed over 230+ all 3 years he played (outside of his first year where he played 11 but only had 7 touches). Morris had 2 years of over 250. Morris is now a 2nd/3rd string guy who only got a vast majority of his playing time this year because DMac was cut/injured and Zeke was suspended, remember Morris was a 7th Rd Pick by Washington. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/alfred-morris-1.html

Kareem Hunt played in 13 games his SR year, and then 10 games each his Sophmore and Jr. Year and 11 his Freshman Year for a grand total of 42 games compared to Wilsons 42. Hunt outgained Wilson in rushing yards to the amount of 4945 to 3322.. For a difference of 1623 yards (and only played 2 more games). Hunts best season his SR year, he played in all 13 games and accounted for 303 total touches for 1878 yards and 11TD for 6.2 yd per touch. Hunt finished his career with 855 total touches, 5500 total yards, 45 TDs to Wilson's 630 total touches, 3849 total yards and 34 TDs. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kareem-hunt-1.html

Jeffery Wilson's Link is a different site because the Sports Reference only had his Senior year... 

https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/jeffery-wilson-wilso0265

(Wilson's Sports Reference for Proof)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jeffrey-wilson-2.html

Again, Morris was a system guy for the Redskins and one that has seen his production decline ever year till this past season which he went from 200+ yards in Season 1 with the Cowboys to 500+ in Season 2 (only because McFadden was released and not picked up by anyone and Zeke was suspended.). Morris has had more success than UNT RB at the next level in the past 10 years.

Hunt had more tape, played in a better conference (Yes the Mac is better than conference), and is a team that had 3 players in 2017 alone, and a total of 7 since we had our last player drafted in 2004. As the numbers show, Hunt was a MUCH more productive RB in college as well. Just look at the difference in terms of Rushing totals and the numbers of games played. Scouts saw enough of Hunt from his tape that his combine numbers did not affect him.. With Wilson's history, he needed to wow at the pro-day and on tape is the point I was making.. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
Added in Wilson's Sports Reference Link
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Look at Wilson's Production vs a RB like Lamar Hunt.. The difference in production is night and day.

I didn't realize Lamar Hunt was a productive running back. He has quite the resume. Oil tycoon, creator of the super bowl, sports team owner, and now productive running back.

Hard to take your long post seriously after reading this.

4 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I didn't realize Lamar Hunt was a productive running back. He has quite the resume. Oil tycoon, creator of the super bowl, sports team owner, and now productive running back.

Hard to take your long post seriously after reading this.

LOL Sorry you picked out the one error, a name (when im using my phone) in another post that was not in response to yours.. when the rest of the information clearly points out that Hunt was a for suprerior college player and Morris was a system guy that has seen a decline in production every season since. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

Lol, I am just picking on you.

There are other running backs on the list that have run slower 40's and have been productive in the NFL. Yes, Morris was a scheme fit, but he was productive in the NFL. Wilson's injury history does scare me, but he has the athleticism to play in the NFL. I don't think he would be used as an every down back. There were a lot of NFL teams at this years pro day. Eric Capper said the largest amount in his 17 years here. So regarding your first post, scouting exposure shouldn't be an issue.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Lol, I am just picking on you.

There are other running backs on the list that have run slower 40's and have been productive in the NFL. Yes, Morris was a scheme fit, but he was productive in the NFL. Wilson's injury history does scare me, but he has the athleticism to play in the NFL. I don't think he would be used as an every down back. There were a lot of NFL teams at this years pro day. Eric Capper said the largest amount in his 17 years here. So regarding your first post, scouting exposure shouldn't be an issue.

Again, The problem with Wilson's measurables is he is in the middle of the class, and then factor in a long list of injuries which likely will move him lower. I'm sorry but these numbers do not flash off for most teams to go back and rewatch his tape, if they have not seen him in person. We can say its a numbers game and Wilson was 1 of 32 or whatever RBs invited to the combine, so he is likely to be picked.. Plenty of players get invited to the combine, that never get drafted. We and Wilson need to hope that 1 team/1 scout has fallen in love and is willing to pound away on the table wanting him picked, but with the limited exposure that is VERY hard...

Also, is it really the best thing to be a 7th round pick instead of going of being a UDFA and you can pick the place to go with the best situation. The Cowboys did this the year they drafted Zeke, the drafted another RB late from Ohio with their last pick, and a reporter asked why did the Cowboys draft him instead of just signing him as a UDFA, and the response was.. If he was a UDFA, he would have likely passed because of Morris, McFadden, Zeke, etc and the cowboys picked him just to prevent that.. He was later put on the Practice Squad and then signed with the Browns.. Kids name is/was Darius Jackson. 

I'm also not going to claim or call BS on Cappers post, because we have 0 idea how well the turn out was this year vs past years (unless someone like @Brett Vito has access and says otherwise). Nor do i wanna do the research to look up pro dates and who all had them on the days UNT did in the past and see how that has impacted the turn out. But this year, we had our Pro-Day the same day as TCU with the likes of BYU, WKU, Yale, Jacksonville, and South Dakota State..

I'm going to assume our pro day was well attended because how close we were to TCU and not just because teams had a drive/want to see 1 or 2 kids. Also, SMU had its pro-day the day before as well. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919951/article/2018-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also, is it really the best thing to be a 7th round pick instead of going of being a UDFA and you can pick the place to go with the best situation.

Probably not better for the player, but definitely better for the university program trying to break a draftless streak that is likely used against it in recruiting.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Probably not better for the player, but definitely better for the university program trying to break a draftless streak that is likely used against it in recruiting.

It may not be great for draftless streak, but UNT needs guys who can stick at the next level..

Dunbar doesn’t even have a team right now, currently only have 2 players in the NFL. Wilson finding a home that he could potentially play is for more important than ending the streak then getting cut because a team has 3/4 solid RBs ahead of Wilson and he is just a practice body

• Lovely Take 1