CBI Champions

DeepGreen

That is some nice company!  Definitely a top moment in my Mean Green fandom since 1986 and I had to listen to it on the radio in Cali.  Still bursting with Pride!

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

The radio broadcast was intense and great!  They had a long show all the way through the celebration.  It feels good to be on top of the CBI World tonight.  I saw the Mercer win and thought, this team is fun to watch and just might have something.  Then things aligned and bam championship banner going to print soon!

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

29 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I know we had to pay to play in this tournament but was just a one time shot or did we have to pay for each game?  I am not being critical because if it was one time shot we might have made a little profit?

If I recall, you had to pay for home games in the first round and quarterfinals (so we only had to pay for one round).  In the semis and finals the tournament gets the gate receipts, but the home school keeps concessions.

So hopefully a lot of people bought hot dogs the last three home games.

• Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

If I recall, you had to pay for home games in the first round and quarterfinals (so we only had to pay for one round).  In the semis and finals the tournament gets the gate receipts, but the home school keeps concessions.

Yes.  It cost us $40K up front for the second game.  

So minus the gate from that night...maybe around $23k is all we are out of for the game against Mercer?.  A great investment imo.

The CBI kept the gate reciept from that point on.  And if I had to guess...we might have made the CBI over $200,000.

Seems like I heard Wyoming set the CBI attendance record last year with 6,000+, and we were right there with them last night.

So I'm betting for any year we're available we will get an invite for sure.

Damn that was awesome last night.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

There were a LOT of Shiners in those cupholders!

• Haha 1

Congrats again Mean Green fans.  I meant to get on here last night but didn’t.  

Looks like hella first year for McCasland.  Nice start, a rough stretch when the schedule got very rough.  One hella nice run at the end.  You guys gotta feel good about the direction you’re headed.  I know how we felt when we got rid of Ken Pol Pot McDummy McDonald and Ray Harper took over.

It’s a relief to get rid of someone that you knew early on was a train wreck.  I’m talking about McDummy.  I’m sure some of you felt early on that Benford wasn’t the guy.  It’s hard to go through it.  

So enjoy the championship.  Hang a banner.  Be better next year.  With Middle having a new coach and with ODU losing Porter we’ll need everyone to step up a bit more if we’re to match what we did as a conference this year.

• Thanks 4

I couldn't be more pleased with NT participating in the CBI and winning the title.  I'm surprised however, having been around NT Athletics for a long time, that there was $40,000. laying around to fund the second round of the tournament.  Is there an extra bit of money figured in the athletic department budget to fund such an expense should it come up ?  Did the tournament pay off from a financial standpoint ?  I had a great time.  I would like to think that NT could use the CBI to springboard into greater things as some CBI champs in the past have done.

GO MEAN GREEN 

• Lovely Take 1

On 3/30/2018 at 8:37 PM, DeepGreen said:
Year Champion Runner-up MVP
2008 Tulsa Bradley Jerome Jordan, Tulsa
2009 Oregon State UTEP Roeland Schaftenaar, Oregon State
2010 VCU Saint Louis Joey Rodriguez, VCU
2011 Oregon Creighton Joevan Catron, Oregon
2012 Pittsburgh Washington State Lamar Patterson, Pittsburgh
2013 Santa Clara George Mason Kevin Foster, Santa Clara
2014 Siena Fresno State Brett Bisping, Siena
2015 Loyola Chicago UL Monroe Earl Peterson, Loyola Chicago
2016 Nevada Morehead State Tyron Criswell, Nevada
2017 Wyoming Coastal Carolina Justin James, Wyoming
2018 North Texas USF Roosevelt Smart, North Texas

Here's what each champ did in their subsequent season:

Tulsa - NIT, first round exit

OSU - CBI, first round exit

VCU - NCAA Final Four

Oregon - NIT Quarterfinals

Pitt - NCAA Round of 32

Santa Clara - nada

Siena - nada

Loyola - nada

Nevada - NCAA first round exit

Wyoming - 20 wins, but no invites

A few of the LU-C seniors on the final four squad were freshmen during their CBI run, but they were mid-pack in a good conference for two years after their championship. 

Probably not a conference or at-large bid level yet, but I'd say setting the goal of the NIT for next season is a reasonable bar

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Here's what each champ did in their subsequent season:

Tulsa - NIT, first round exit

OSU - CBI, first round exit

VCU - NCAA Final Four

Oregon - NIT Quarterfinals

Pitt - NCAA Round of 32

Santa Clara - nada

Siena - nada

Loyola - nada

Nevada - NCAA first round exit

Wyoming - 20 wins, but no invites

A few of the LU-C seniors on the final four squad were freshmen during their CBI run, but they were mid-pack in a good conference for two years after their championship. 

Probably not a conference or at-large bid level yet, but I'd say setting the goal of the NIT for next season is a reasonable bar

Waiter, one Final Four please!

• Upvote 1