UT-Austin is once again revenue king in Texas sports; basketball success gives Tech a boost

Harry

San Antonio will host the men's college Final Four this weekend, wrapping up a basketball tournament that will make hundreds of millions of dollars for the NCAA and its member schools. To mark the occasion, The Texas Tribune reviewed the NCAA financial reports for the state's eight major college athletics programs. 

Those schools are the University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University, Texas Tech University, the University of North Texas, the University of Texas at El Paso, the University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas State University and the University of Houston — all of which play in the top-level Football Bowl Subdivision. 

Most of them failed once again to generate a profit. Below are some other details that grabbed our attention. Note, however, that these stats are for the 2016-17 sports year. Data for this season won’t be available until 2019.

read more:  https://www.texastribune.org/2018/03/29/ut-austin-once-again-revenue-king-texas-sports-basketball-success-give/

The difference between an Upper G5 and a Lower G5 is still very large. When UH is still $50 million behind Tech in revenues, you know the system needs to change. People wonder why the Big XI won't take UH--the answer is right there. Tech, and especially TCU and Baylor, want nothing to do with splitting up that pie anytime soon--they know that this may not be there for them for too much longer...

The P5s just need to go create their own system already. They have the money, media, fanbases, and bowl tie-ins that create this huge unmatchable advantage. We made $200 million less than Texas A&M in one year, yet we play them in College Station in a few years. That's not even close to being fair or right. We basically whore ourselves out while A&M gets a free win to go to a bowl game. No other sport allows this kind of crap. I just think G5s deserve the opportunity to win a national championship, just like every other football program gets to do.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/30/2018 at 8:21 AM, southsideguy said:

You mean like the old days when college football was at its prime.  The system has become the haves and have nots and has hurt the brand.  I love college football but I liked it better when the playing field was level.

When the playing field was level? So...the 50s?

18 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

NCAA was trying to keep the playing field level when the instituted scholarship limits.  They did so first in 1973, at 105.  

It wasn't until the Supreme Court ruled for OU against the NCAA that the institution really started to change.  

Ok, so the late 70s/early 80s. Either way, it has long been set up to be non-competitive outside of the pre-approved teams.

I do think that it matters that these are the numbers from 16-17, and I wonder very much how football and basketball success plus added salaries will change them this season. I think both revenues and expenses will have gone up a good tick for UNT.

And that is after UNT already increased its recruiting budget for Bball by 50% in two years.

also: I am surprised how close the Aggies have gotten to the Longhorns in terms of revenue while spending way less.

Edited by outoftown