Friday Boasts Best Student Incentive Yet...

11 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

It's Friday, I'm sorry but its going to take a lot more than this to get students in this place that have no interest. WHERE DEM MAC BOOKS AT WREN? DEM IPADS? DEM FREE CHICK FIL A AND FUZZYS FOR A YEAR? CMON!!!!!!!!!!!

"dem" aka the

I strongly disagree. Considering all of the permit holders that don't get to campus before 9am and don't have a spot, trouble finding room on the streets that doesn't block driveways, dumpsters or fire hydrants, and police taking advantage of all of the college students that don't know the local laws, me and most students I know would prefer the free parking any day of the week. And maybe it's just the old man in me but I absolutely hate Apple products.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

Parking is what like 180 for foutes? maybe it has gone up since "my day". A mac has a resale value of $1,000+ generally given that new mac book pros are what like $1400+? I'm just saying, if I have 0 interest in basketball, an apple watch or a free parking isn't getting me off my couch to come watch. That may be some young kid logic, but yeah....

How about just getting off your couch to support your university in the tournament finals?  That should be enough to get a student or alumni to attend.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

25 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

Parking is what like 180 for foutes? maybe it has gone up since "my day". A mac has a resale value of $1,000+ generally given that new mac book pros are what like $1400+? I'm just saying, if I have 0 interest in basketball, an apple watch or a free parking isn't getting me off my couch to come watch. That may be some young kid logic, but yeah....

$250/yr
http://transportation.unt.edu/parking

And the offer was for the duration of their time at UNT.

So, if a Freshman/Sophomore wins, they could be looking at $750 - $1000.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

That doesn't happen, clearly that doesn't happen. Look at our attendance. 

Keep down voting the truth. Go find students that aren't on this board and ask them their thoughts about the chance at winning a darn parking pass. You have to think like a student that isn't interested in UNT sports to understand. Then again, old denton wouldn't understand what would actually make people show up. You saw what the AD did for football incentives, now we have 3 parking passes? good one. Granted old denton wouldn't even give away a pencil to get students to show up. 

I am not down voting anything, but I find it amazing that students have to be bribed to support their school.  Of course, typically these are the same students that complain about our athletics.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the "what's in it for me" generation.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 6

40 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I agree 900000000000000000000% I think its ABSURD that we have to give S### away to get people to show up. I agree with what you guys are saying that "what happened to showing up to support your school". I agree people. This "generation" which I hate saying/using isn't like that, at least not at north texas. UT & TAMU, different story. It really is super sad, but what do you do when most of your student body isnt into sports and thinks its possibly a waste of money? *see athletic fee vote for an example. 

We need to put a 'Do you like sports?' checkbox on the UNT application.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I agree 900000000000000000000% I think its ABSURD that we have to give S### away to get people to show up. I agree with what you guys are saying that "what happened to showing up to support your school". I agree people. This "generation" which I hate saying/using isn't like that, at least not at north texas. UT & TAMU, different story. It really is super sad, but what do you do when most of your student body isnt into sports and thinks its possibly a waste of money? *see athletic fee vote for an example. 

You haven’t been around here (gmg.com) long.  I don’t know how long you’ve been around NT, but all the students currently on campus know is losing B-ball as of the end of the CUSA tournament.

Prior to that, JJ had us playing well, but that was a long time ago.  It takes a while to rebuild that fan base.  If McCasland can have our guys playing at this level for the next few seasons & contending for Conf. Championships, you’ll see the type of fans you’re describing.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You do it hoping you create a fan! An empty seat is a wasted opportunity! GMG 

I agree, but complaining because the "prize isn't good enough" just yells "I'm not coming if the prize isn't good enough."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

39 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

This "generation" which I hate saying/using isn't like that, at least not at north texas. UT & TAMU, different story. It really is super sad, but what do you do when most of your student body isnt into sports and thinks its possibly a waste of money? *see athletic fee vote for an example. 

I'll say this as a recent graduate (December 2014). First year I went to almost every game baring any prior commitments. Sometimes I even went alone. The student side was usually pretty well attended... By freshmen and the same uperclassmen. The majority of students who showed up were always the same faces.

Rewind to freshmen orientation: my very attractive orientation leader hyped up basketball big time as did others. These were students who had witnessed 20 win seasons, conference tournament runs, and an NCAA birth (veteran students might have seen 2). They also spoke highly about our hopeful one and done, Tony Mitchell. They had experienced excitement in the Pit and were passing it a along. We also had a brand new business leadership center right across from Kerr.

Fast forward to now. Students have seen nothing but decline at the Pit. There's been no Pit excitement, no tourney runs, no 20 win seasons. The students haven't changed. The generation is the same, I'm only 24, those who are on campus daily are mostly 18-24. The students are still mostly artsy but I wouldn't be surprised to see more business majors due to the Business building. Business majors have a tendancy to care more about sports in my student experience. So, if anything, we should have a student body who cares more about sports. Why don't they? Production. When you have late classes, early classes, studying, and a million other free things to attend, students are not bored. This CBI run will help next year's attendance. Guaranteed. But this year's attendance and having to "bribe" students to show up is on the previous admin. Due to us being mostly an artsy school, it'll take longer to get back to where we were. We'll get there though. The students do care though. We just need the games to keep being entertaining.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but complaining because the "prize isn't good enough" just yells "I'm not coming if the prize isn't good enough."

That type, the prize is never good enough! Let them play their video games on the couch!

Edited by Wag Tag