Allante Holston

UNTLifer

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I was surprised with San Francisco’s height that we haven’t seen him at all during this series. He isn’t hurt, but obviously McCasland wants to run small ball and it has been working. 

Holston is listed as a guard and he primarily plays the 4. He is a small ball player. Problem is, when you sacrifice size you are supposed to do so to get more skill on the court. Holston does not accomplish that. Miller gives you much more offensively, and has not been a drop off from Holston defensively.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Holston is listed as a guard and he primarily plays the 4. He is a small ball player. Problem is, when you sacrifice size you are supposed to do so to get more skill on the court. Holston does not accomplish that. Miller gives you much more offensively, and has not been a drop off from Holston defensively.

That’s why I said McCasland is running small ball and it’s working. It’s just interesting to think that Temara and Holston started so many games and now suddenly they have vanished, but Fuller is getting minutes.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

We already have an outside shooting liability in Woolridge on the floor.  When adding Holston, we essentially only have 2 threats from outside the paint on the floor.  When Lawson is also in the game, we only have one outside the paint threat.  Teams finally figured us out coming down the stretch of the season and we lost 7 of 8. The new lineup adds a dimension that teams have not had the opportunity to figure out.  Let's hope we can get 1 more victory before they do.

32 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

We already have an outside shooting liability in Woolridge on the floor.  When adding Holston, we essentially only have 2 threats from outside the paint on the floor.  When Lawson is also in the game, we only have one outside the paint threat.  Teams finally figured us out coming down the stretch of the season and we lost 7 of 8. The new lineup adds a dimension that teams have not had the opportunity to figure out.  Let's hope we can get 1 more victory before they do.

What makes Woolridge an outside shot liability? The fact he doesn't just jack up three point shots all the time? Coming in to tonight's game he is 50% from the floor. Not bad for the team's second leading scorer.

The only liability Woolridge has is his free throw shooting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

What makes Woolridge an outside shot liability? The fact he doesn't just jack up three point shots all the time? Coming in to tonight's game he is 50% from the floor. Not bad for the team's second leading scorer.

The only liability Woolridge has is his free throw shooting.

The fact that he does not shoot from the outside makes him an outside shot liability.

Edited by RiseUNT
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, edcollopy said:

If Woolridge had any outside shot whatsoever, he'd be so deadly.  He is a driving one trick pony.  A 15ft pull up jumper would do him wonders.

Exactly what Capel said covering the game last night.  Woolridge would be an elite PG if/when he develops his outside shot.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm guessing that those of you ragging on Woolridge's shooting haven't heard this interview yet (Particularly the 5:34 mark):

When Jason Kidd got an outside shot it took his team to the finals. When Steve Nash stopped being so unselfish he got a couple mvps.

If a pitcher doesn't throw inside the batter crowds the plate. If a team doesn't throw it deep the D crowds the box. If you don't shoot the three the D crowds the paint. Baseball you throw one high and tight to back em up. Football just throw one to keep them honest. Basketball gotta shoot it to open up space. 

It's that simple. You don't have to even connect but you have to make the opponent think about other things then what you want to do. 

I would argue Holston could run some of these USF players to the rack and wouldn't be that big of a liability.  I mean, no disrespect, but Fuller doesn't move very well and he was inserted to the game early last night.

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

When Jason Kidd got an outside shot it took his team to the finals. When Steve Nash stopped being so unselfish he got a couple mvps.

If a pitcher doesn't throw inside the batter crowds the plate. If a team doesn't throw it deep the D crowds the box. If you don't shoot the three the D crowds the paint. Baseball you throw one high and tight to back em up. Football just throw one to keep them honest. Basketball gotta shoot it to open up space. 

It's that simple. You don't have to even connect but you have to make the opponent think about other things then what you want to do. 

Makes sense, for sure.   I'm guessing if McCasland wanted Ryan to shoot more, he would coach him to do so... and Ryan would probably listen to coaching.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Makes sense, for sure.   I'm guessing if McCasland wanted Ryan to shoot more, he would coach him to do so... and Ryan would probably listen to coaching.

His facial expressions on the ft line and him never getting set off the ball tells me he has 0 confidence in his shot right now. It's the coach's job this off-season to give him some and once he does it will exponentially open up his game.

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly what Capel said covering the game last night.  Woolridge would be an elite PG if/when he develops his outside shot.

He wouldn't?  I would be curious of the person's opinion that disagreed with this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just based on what I’ve gathered, we function as a more efficient offense when Ryan has 2 or 3 guys around him stretching the floor, allowing him more flexibility to roam/penetrate.

maybe as an outside threat he would get more individual awards/attention, but I don’t think that’s necessarily how we want our offense established.