UNT to introduce pod-style living with new residence hall

21 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

That would be a person who doesn't identity with the "standard" binary of male-female. They identify as another gender altogether. Like agender, genderqueer etc to name a few. There's a massive spectrum.

No comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

My thought is that this just postpones by four or five years the time when these students will have to learn to assimilate into what passes today for "normal society". I think it is more of a disservice than an accommodation for these folks. Time will tell.  JMHO.

• Upvote 7

On 3/31/2018 at 3:20 PM, Rudy said:

Why does the GLBT community need their own residence hall?  Why can't they live with everyone else? 

I am pretty sure it says "restrooms" will be provided. I don't think *they* are the one needing it as opposed to all the people that feel 'icky' around them and continual try to pass "bathroom bills" to make it illegal for them to use the bathroom they really should be using. 

• Lovely Take 3
  • Downvote 3

On 4/4/2018 at 5:29 PM, EagleMBA said:

My thought is that this just postpones by four or five years the time when these students will have to learn to assimilate into what passes today for "normal society". I think it is more of a disservice than an accommodation for these folks. Time will tell.  JMHO.

Define "normal society".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And what is that?

I really think people not understanding it are being purposely obtuse.  You see "women" everyday that aren't really "women" according to your book. They may have a penis in their undergarments. They may have had a penis at some point, but had surgery to remove it. The inverse applies to the "men" you see (complete with facial hair) that really have a vagina. You just don't realize that you see it, because you can't tell.

Yet people are ooked out over this prospect and try to make a law making it illegal for them to use common sense on which restroom to use. If you look like a woman (regardless of what sex organ you were born with), then go into the women's restroom. It really is simple. 

Throwing up some lowbrow strawman argument - "ok, i will SAY I am a girl and go into the chick's restroom so I can see them nekkid -- IS THAT RIGHT?A?A ZOMG?1" doesn't really address what really goes on or protect anyone. It only serves to divide. There are lesbians in the women's bathroom nearly every time a woman goes in there -- bust is that dangerous? Let's take a person who looks like a woman (to everyone), is a woman in all their life capabilities (yet was born with a penis) and is attract to men (like a 'woman')  -- why would them going into the men's room be safer for everyone involved? It really makes no sense.

In the obtuse view, all non-binary or trans people LOOK like Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies or Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. This is NOT how it is in real life. They appear and present just like the gender they feel|are|whatever. That is their life goal.

Sure... drag shows exist.. but that is like saying actors on broadway all have too much make-up, fake boobs and high heels.. singing every emotion they have. 

It is a very shallow view of humanity just for the sake of not wanting to empathize. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Define "normal society".

Maybe he is talking about it is a disservice to the students that are creeped out and they have to just fit in with the normal society outside college that can care less about the people pooping in the stalls next to them. Is that given too much credit? :Yes:

I have worked with a few trans-folk over the years and many many more manly looking women. I never cared about which door they entered to drop a poop in the toilet. Honestly, not once. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Define "normal society".

Aye, that is the rub. You will notice that I qualified the phrase. I was thinking along the lines of working, being productive and self-reliant, and accepted by your peers...that sort of thing. Since I have been on this earth since 1945, my definition may differ from that of my children or someone else.

• Upvote 1

i identify my as an eagle so does that make me an eagle or just a mean green fan?   America is on a strange path, C Manning is running for congress and is hero in some circles.  Manning can never hold a security clearance again.  She sold the USA out and she is running for congress.  I dont care if he thinks he is a women and he can wear what ever he wants.  I am upset that while in prison the tax payers paid for his sex change operation.   Elective surgery my insurance does not cover.  Sorry off the topic.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1