Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Coach Bill Lewis

Littrell and Wilson both applied for Tennessee

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is no surprise and this goes against just about everything Littrell says from a standpoint of loyalty, growth, building it the right way, etc. etc. etc. He says these things while trying to back door himself out of town. These coaches, administrators, presidents, etc. can put on green t-shirts, but they don't have green blood and that is why I am quick to pull the trigger on critical comments when the situation presents itself of worthy criticism...Because of articles just like this one. 

 

Full disclosure: I am thankful for everything Baker, Littrell, and McCasland has done for our programs. But I take their rah-rah talk with a huge grain of salt, as we all should. 

I have no doubt in my mind Littrell has UNT's best interest in mind right now.   He's not kicking the can with the scholarship fiasco he inherited.  He's slowly rectifying it.   He could just keep Blueshirting the heck out of guys to get his roster up to size, give himself the best chance to win, then get out of town at the first opportunity.  He's not doing that.   I believe everything he says about "Mean Green Family" and whatnot.   These are his guys.

I also have no doubt in my mind he's looking to move up to a P5.  His track record speaks for itself.   He's only loyal to UNT until a P5 job opens up. 
I understand that.   Guys like Bobby Bowden, Bill Snyder & Gary Patterson are not easy to find.   
Littrell is a competitor.  He wants to be the best.   The only way to be the best is to win a National Championship... and you can't do that unless you're at a P5 school with $$$$ to blow.   UNT is nowhere near that kind of school.

I'm sure Urban Meyer looks back fondly on his time at BGSU, and everything he said/did while there was genuine.  But if he remained there, he wouldn't have multiple National Championships.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

 Guys like Bobby Bowden, Bill Snyder & Gary Patterson are not easy to find.   

GP did move from a G5 to a P5, it's just that he was lucky enough to have done it at one school.

Bowden and Snyder might as well be from a different sport, that how different the economics are now vs then.

Yes, UT always had more resources than NT.  But we now have a system where NT is going to get a couple hundred thousand a year in TV money, and hang on teams like Iowa St or Rutgers are going to make 30 or 40 MILLION. 

That level of economic difference didn't exist when those coaches came up.  It wasn't that big of a difference from the top G5 teams vs the top P5 teams, and it sure as hell wasn't between the top G5 teams vs the absolute scrubs of the P5.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I have no doubt in my mind Littrell has UNT's best interest in mind right now.   He's not kicking the can with the scholarship fiasco he inherited.  He's slowly rectifying it.   He could just keep Blueshirting the heck out of guys to get his roster up to size, give himself the best chance to win, then get out of town at the first opportunityHe's not doing that.   I believe everything he says about "Mean Green Family" and whatnot.   These are his guys.

I also have no doubt in my mind he's looking to move up to a P5.  His track record speaks for itself.   He's only loyal to UNT until a P5 job opens up. 
I understand that.   Guys like Bobby Bowden, Bill Snyder & Gary Patterson are not easy to find.   
Littrell is a competitor.  He wants to be the best.   The only way to be the best is to win a National Championship... and you can't do that unless you're at a P5 school with $$$$ to blow.   UNT is nowhere near that kind of school.

I'm sure Urban Meyer looks back fondly on his time at BGSU, and everything he said/did while there was genuine.  But if he remained there, he wouldn't have multiple National Championships.

Image result for ok gif

  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so we are clear for those being critical, if a job was open that would pay anywhere form 200%-350% more than you currently make, you wouldn't want to talk about it? Honestly, I'd question a coach who didn't want to discuss it. That doesn't mean he'd take it. Doesn't mean a coach wouldn't use it for leverage to get more money from UNT. Being critical of a Coach for looking at a job universally held as a top 10-15 football job at a school with a top 10 budget makes no sense. 

SL takes Washington State or GM takes Rutgers, I'm pissed. SL takes Tennessee or GM takes Arizona State, I'm going to say good for them. Next man up. Despite a batshit crazy fan base, UT-Knox is still a top 10 FB job in most people's eyes. His agents should have been pushing him or he should fire his agents.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Just so we are clear for those being critical, if a job was open that would pay anywhere form 200%-350% more than you currently make, you wouldn't want to talk about it? Honestly, I'd question a coach who didn't want to discuss it. That doesn't mean he'd take it. Doesn't mean a coach wouldn't use it for leverage to get more money from UNT. Being critical of a Coach for looking at a job universally held as a top 10-15 football job at a school with a top 10 budget makes no sense. 

SL takes Washington State or GM takes Rutgers, I'm pissed. SL takes Tennessee or GM takes Arizona State, I'm going to say good for them. Next man up. Despite a batshit crazy fan base, UT-Knox is still a top 10 FB job in most people's eyes. His agents should have been pushing him or he should fire his agents.

 

I have no arguments for this. My only grudge is saying one thing and acting on another. It's a part of the business and there is no way around that when you're a lower tiered school on the financial totem pole. Just don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I have no arguments for this. My only grudge is saying one thing and acting on another. It's a part of the business and there is no way around that when you're a lower tiered school on the financial totem pole. Just don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. 

But there's a difference between liking where you're at and putting 100% into all you're doing, while being ready to jump to the next opportunity... VS "pissing on me and telling me it's raining" (loathing your current position & lying to constituents).  I don't believe Littrell is doing the latter.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does anyone know which schools Littrell turned down? I keep reading he had offers and turned them down. 

I read the same about Wren Baker.

Any ideas?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, agw0038 said:

So does anyone know which schools Littrell turned down? I keep reading he had offers and turned them down. 

I read the same about Wren Baker.

Any ideas?

Apparently not Tennessee. 

  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

Nothing to see here.

In no way does this indicate Littrell is unhappy in Denton.   This is likely just his agent working as he should for his client.

It would've been noteworthy if he had submitted a resume for a G5 program...an SEC program, not so much.

The only issue I have is with the fact that this information is now public - forcing him to address it with the locker room and his staff to make sure no one feels a disloyalty on his part.  I trust he's already done this by now.

This probably should not be public and I am not sure why it is. But your right this is likely  his head hunter/agent doing his job. 

We also don't know who made the initial contact from that article 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

This probably should not be public and I am not sure why it is. But your right this is likely  his head hunter/agent doing his job. 

We also don't know who made the initial contact from that article 

In some of these cases, a good agent will have their client apply for a job that they have no chance of getting, but then gets to the AD and President of the current school to say that his client has been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at P5 schools. Voila, a new extension and a raise...for both coach and the agent.

Tennessee's head coaching search was a cluster, no doubt. But they weren't hiring a Derek Dooley 2.0 starter kit in Seth Littrell or Frank Wilson. They weren't getting some lower G5 coach with little to no skins on the wall to take over a program that is competing in the SEC. Littrell's next head coaching gig will be at Tech if we have a good year and Tech has the year ahead that we all believe they will.

Another very real possibility would be KU, where Beaty is severely failing and although he signed an extension last year, its peanuts compared to most schools. KU has money and Beaty's contract is more G5 than anything else. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not apply? You have an expectation anyone would stay at NT instead of taking the TN job with the huge increase in pay and recognition? And it doesn’t invalidate the positive stuff about NT.  NT is also a great opportunity. But not on the same order of magnitude at this time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I have no arguments for this. My only grudge is saying one thing and acting on another. It's a part of the business and there is no way around that when you're a lower tiered school on the financial totem pole. Just don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. 

So, he preaches loyalty etc, he gives everything he’s got to the kids program etc.  an opportunity for a raise and promotion comes, and now he’s pissing on you for seeing if he can get it? 

 

You work wherever (I have no idea) and you have a chance to double or triple what you make, you gunna turn it down because you’re loyal to your current employer?

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

In some of these cases, a good agent will have their client apply for a job that they have no chance of getting, but then gets to the AD and President of the current school to say that his client has been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at P5 schools. Voila, a new extension and a raise...for both coach and the agent.

Tennessee's head coaching search was a cluster, no doubt. But they weren't hiring a Derek Dooley 2.0 starter kit in Seth Littrell or Frank Wilson. They weren't getting some lower G5 coach with little to no skins on the wall to take over a program that is competing in the SEC. Littrell's next head coaching gig will be at Tech if we have a good year and Tech has the year ahead that we all believe they will.

Another very real possibility would be KU, where Beaty is severely failing and although he signed an extension last year, its peanuts compared to most schools. KU has money and Beaty's contract is more G5 than anything else. 

Littrell wouldn’t touch KU with a 10 foot pole 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

In some of these cases, a good agent will have their client apply for a job that they have no chance of getting, but then gets to the AD and President of the current school to say that his client has been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at P5 schools. Voila, a new extension and a raise...for both coach and the agent.

Tennessee's head coaching search was a cluster, no doubt. But they weren't hiring a Derek Dooley 2.0 starter kit in Seth Littrell or Frank Wilson. They weren't getting some lower G5 coach with little to no skins on the wall to take over a program that is competing in the SEC. Littrell's next head coaching gig will be at Tech if we have a good year and Tech has the year ahead that we all believe they will.

Another very real possibility would be KU, where Beaty is severely failing and although he signed an extension last year, its peanuts compared to most schools. KU has money and Beaty's contract is more G5 than anything else. 

If KU wanted to invest then they would have to double or triple what they are currently playing their HC.. the last I saw he was 1.6 (the KU HC) compared to SL around 1.1..

yes 500K is a lot but is it worth it going to a place like KU who does not take football serious? Stay at UNT build dominate in a region that has a ton of money and go from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Littrell wouldn’t touch KU with a 10 foot pole 

Agree. Texas Tech might be different because it probably will pay $3 million. But I don't think it is a no brainer. No way he does KU IMO. Stay where you know you can win until you can get another job where you know you can win. The only difference is if all the sudden you can make $2 million more per year and it's guaranteed for 5 years, you have to think about it. $10 million is a lot of cheese to walk away from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Did RV get any offers to go else where?  

I believe someone posted here that RV tried for the UTSA AD job and was not considered...  so, to answer your question, HIGHLY doubtful.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still say SL is going to have to win a conference championship and win whatever following bowl they go. Same with Wilson. They gotta win to move on to the big time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.