Littrell and Wilson both applied for Tennessee

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Guys like Bobby Bowden, Bill Snyder & Gary Patterson are not easy to find.   

GP did move from a G5 to a P5, it's just that he was lucky enough to have done it at one school.

Bowden and Snyder might as well be from a different sport, that how different the economics are now vs then.

Yes, UT always had more resources than NT.  But we now have a system where NT is going to get a couple hundred thousand a year in TV money, and hang on teams like Iowa St or Rutgers are going to make 30 or 40 MILLION. 

That level of economic difference didn't exist when those coaches came up.  It wasn't that big of a difference from the top G5 teams vs the top P5 teams, and it sure as hell wasn't between the top G5 teams vs the absolute scrubs of the P5.  

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I have no doubt in my mind Littrell has UNT's best interest in mind right now.   He's not kicking the can with the scholarship fiasco he inherited.  He's slowly rectifying it.   He could just keep Blueshirting the heck out of guys to get his roster up to size, give himself the best chance to win, then get out of town at the first opportunityHe's not doing that.   I believe everything he says about "Mean Green Family" and whatnot.   These are his guys.

I also have no doubt in my mind he's looking to move up to a P5.  His track record speaks for itself.   He's only loyal to UNT until a P5 job opens up. 
I understand that.   Guys like Bobby Bowden, Bill Snyder & Gary Patterson are not easy to find.   
Littrell is a competitor.  He wants to be the best.   The only way to be the best is to win a National Championship... and you can't do that unless you're at a P5 school with $$$$ to blow.   UNT is nowhere near that kind of school.

I'm sure Urban Meyer looks back fondly on his time at BGSU, and everything he said/did while there was genuine.  But if he remained there, he wouldn't have multiple National Championships.

Image result for ok gif

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 6

Just so we are clear for those being critical, if a job was open that would pay anywhere form 200%-350% more than you currently make, you wouldn't want to talk about it? Honestly, I'd question a coach who didn't want to discuss it. That doesn't mean he'd take it. Doesn't mean a coach wouldn't use it for leverage to get more money from UNT. Being critical of a Coach for looking at a job universally held as a top 10-15 football job at a school with a top 10 budget makes no sense. 

SL takes Washington State or GM takes Rutgers, I'm pissed. SL takes Tennessee or GM takes Arizona State, I'm going to say good for them. Next man up. Despite a batshit crazy fan base, UT-Knox is still a top 10 FB job in most people's eyes. His agents should have been pushing him or he should fire his agents.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Just so we are clear for those being critical, if a job was open that would pay anywhere form 200%-350% more than you currently make, you wouldn't want to talk about it? Honestly, I'd question a coach who didn't want to discuss it. That doesn't mean he'd take it. Doesn't mean a coach wouldn't use it for leverage to get more money from UNT. Being critical of a Coach for looking at a job universally held as a top 10-15 football job at a school with a top 10 budget makes no sense. 

SL takes Washington State or GM takes Rutgers, I'm pissed. SL takes Tennessee or GM takes Arizona State, I'm going to say good for them. Next man up. Despite a batshit crazy fan base, UT-Knox is still a top 10 FB job in most people's eyes. His agents should have been pushing him or he should fire his agents.

I have no arguments for this. My only grudge is saying one thing and acting on another. It's a part of the business and there is no way around that when you're a lower tiered school on the financial totem pole. Just don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I have no arguments for this. My only grudge is saying one thing and acting on another. It's a part of the business and there is no way around that when you're a lower tiered school on the financial totem pole. Just don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. 

But there's a difference between liking where you're at and putting 100% into all you're doing, while being ready to jump to the next opportunity... VS "pissing on me and telling me it's raining" (loathing your current position & lying to constituents).  I don't believe Littrell is doing the latter.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

Nothing to see here.

In no way does this indicate Littrell is unhappy in Denton.   This is likely just his agent working as he should for his client.

It would've been noteworthy if he had submitted a resume for a G5 program...an SEC program, not so much.

The only issue I have is with the fact that this information is now public - forcing him to address it with the locker room and his staff to make sure no one feels a disloyalty on his part.  I trust he's already done this by now.

This probably should not be public and I am not sure why it is. But your right this is likely  his head hunter/agent doing his job. 

We also don't know who made the initial contact from that article 

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

This probably should not be public and I am not sure why it is. But your right this is likely  his head hunter/agent doing his job. 

We also don't know who made the initial contact from that article 

In some of these cases, a good agent will have their client apply for a job that they have no chance of getting, but then gets to the AD and President of the current school to say that his client has been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at P5 schools. Voila, a new extension and a raise...for both coach and the agent.

Tennessee's head coaching search was a cluster, no doubt. But they weren't hiring a Derek Dooley 2.0 starter kit in Seth Littrell or Frank Wilson. They weren't getting some lower G5 coach with little to no skins on the wall to take over a program that is competing in the SEC. Littrell's next head coaching gig will be at Tech if we have a good year and Tech has the year ahead that we all believe they will.

Another very real possibility would be KU, where Beaty is severely failing and although he signed an extension last year, its peanuts compared to most schools. KU has money and Beaty's contract is more G5 than anything else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

So, he preaches loyalty etc, he gives everything he’s got to the kids program etc.  an opportunity for a raise and promotion comes, and now he’s pissing on you for seeing if he can get it? 

You work wherever (I have no idea) and you have a chance to double or triple what you make, you gunna turn it down because you’re loyal to your current employer?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

In some of these cases, a good agent will have their client apply for a job that they have no chance of getting, but then gets to the AD and President of the current school to say that his client has been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at P5 schools. Voila, a new extension and a raise...for both coach and the agent.

Tennessee's head coaching search was a cluster, no doubt. But they weren't hiring a Derek Dooley 2.0 starter kit in Seth Littrell or Frank Wilson. They weren't getting some lower G5 coach with little to no skins on the wall to take over a program that is competing in the SEC. Littrell's next head coaching gig will be at Tech if we have a good year and Tech has the year ahead that we all believe they will.

Another very real possibility would be KU, where Beaty is severely failing and although he signed an extension last year, its peanuts compared to most schools. KU has money and Beaty's contract is more G5 than anything else. 

Littrell wouldn’t touch KU with a 10 foot pole 

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

If KU wanted to invest then they would have to double or triple what they are currently playing their HC.. the last I saw he was 1.6 (the KU HC) compared to SL around 1.1..

yes 500K is a lot but is it worth it going to a place like KU who does not take football serious? Stay at UNT build dominate in a region that has a ton of money and go from there

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Littrell wouldn’t touch KU with a 10 foot pole 

Agree. Texas Tech might be different because it probably will pay $3 million. But I don't think it is a no brainer. No way he does KU IMO. Stay where you know you can win until you can get another job where you know you can win. The only difference is if all the sudden you can make $2 million more per year and it's guaranteed for 5 years, you have to think about it. $10 million is a lot of cheese to walk away from.