Littrell and Wilson both applied for Tennessee

This brings up an interesting point for me. 

Littrell has proved to be a fantastic hire for us. Likewise, Wilson has done some good things at UTSA. But even with Littrell outperforming Wilson in terms of on the field production, is Wilson considered the better applicant if they both are going for the same job?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

This brings up an interesting point for me. 

Littrell has proved to be a fantastic hire for us. Likewise, Wilson has done some good things at UTSA. But even with Littrell outperforming Wilson in terms of on the field production, is Wilson considered the better applicant if they both are going for the same job?

No, everything that I have heard Littrell is more valued among the college ranks than Wilson.  Most look at Wilson as a Recruiter only, and Littrell as a guy with a ton of football knowledge.  There is a place for both of them, however I think (non-MG goggles) Littrell will always be a better hire because of the way college game is evolving.  If Littrell's staff were able to recruit at even a semi-close rate of Wilson I do not think he would be here today.  I also heard he turned down multiple jobs (no I didn't ask which ones) because he likes Denton and the community.  He knows he can win consistently here and compete for Championships.  You move to a big time conference and have a bad year or two (5-7 6-6) you are probably getting canned.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

With a coaching record of 14-13 and no conference championships or bowl wins Littrell still has a way to go before he is a true contender for a P5 job. 

GMG

Within two years he took a 1-11 program with a LONGGG history of losing to 9-3 and a spot in the conference championship. As long as we win 8+ games he'll be gone in 1-2 years. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

this will be Littrell's  "Free Agent" year, when most folks expect that third year upswing/full results from a coach. 

This is also the year that other program's will look at a first time HC and see how he is progressing. 

a lot rides on this season, and if he gets hired away after this season, it means that UNT has had a great season.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Nothing to see here.

In no way does this indicate Littrell is unhappy in Denton.   This is likely just his agent working as he should for his client.

It would've been noteworthy if he had submitted a resume for a G5 program...an SEC program, not so much.

The only issue I have is with the fact that this information is now public - forcing him to address it with the locker room and his staff to make sure no one feels a disloyalty on his part.  I trust he's already done this by now.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

In no way does this indicate Littrell is unhappy in Denton.   This is likely just his agent working as he should for his client.

I found myself thinking the same thing. His agent is (hopefully) only keeping him visible and talked about in football circles in the "off season", while Littrell will showcase his coaching talents during the fall. In my heart I want that to be at North Texas for many falls to come.

• Upvote 2

I think the term "applying" is off base here. All of the guys mentioned in that paragraph are represented by Russ Campbell. My guess is Russ sent a list of resumes and says these are guys that would be good for the job. Probably had to ask Littrell before doing that but that's different than applying are desperately sending information like Wilson. In fact, the AD might have told agents send me guys who you'd recommend.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

This year will be a big test because my understanding is that Tech is very high on both Littrell and Neal Brown to replace Klifford.

I can just see his half of the conversation if he takes the job:

”Baby, we gotta move the kids because I got a P5 job.”

”No, not OU...not OSU...no dear, not USC...it’s Tech.”

”No, no Virginia Tech...nope, not Georgia Tech either, it’s Texas Tech.  Yes, in Lubbock”

”Well, yeah I guess you and the kids could come to visit on weekends...oh, wait you meant they could visit...and only on holidays?  It’s not ideal but I guess I’ll take it...”

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

”No, no Virginia Tech...nope, not Georgia Tech either, it’s Texas Tech.  Yes, in Lubbock”

”Well, yeah I guess you and the kids could come to visit on weekends...oh, wait you meant they could visit...and only on holidays?  It’s not ideal but I guess I’ll take it...”

I guess the fact that he and some on his staff have spent years of their career there made them sour to Lubbock?

16 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d imagine the conversation is more like this—“How much are we getting paid and for how long?...ok, I’ll call the movers.”

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I understand your point, as I am not a huge fan of Lubbock, but I now live in Midland and am amazed at the Tech alumni that absolutely love Lubbock.  It is a good community, but to hear them tell it, you would think it was some sort of utopia.  Just don't get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I understand your point, as I am not a huge fan of Lubbock, but I now live in Midland and am amazed at the Tech alumni that absolutely love Lubbock.  It is a good community, but to hear them tell it, you would think it was some sort of utopia.  Just don't get it.

It’s the fishbowl phenomenon...they don’t know what they don’t know.  

I compare it to kids from tiny Texas towns who step foot on campus at NT and realize Dairy Queen isn’t 5* dining.

• Haha 4

This is no surprise and this goes against just about everything Littrell says from a standpoint of loyalty, growth, building it the right way, etc. etc. etc. He says these things while trying to back door himself out of town. These coaches, administrators, presidents, etc. can put on green t-shirts, but they don't have green blood and that is why I am quick to pull the trigger on critical comments when the situation presents itself of worthy criticism...Because of articles just like this one. 

Full disclosure: I am thankful for everything Baker, Littrell, and McCasland has done for our programs. But I take their rah-rah talk with a huge grain of salt, as we all should. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is no surprise and this goes against just about everything Littrell says from a standpoint of loyalty, growth, building it the right way, etc. etc. etc. He says these things while trying to back door himself out of town. These coaches, administrators, presidents, etc. can put on green t-shirts, but they don't have green blood and that is why I am quick to pull the trigger on critical comments when the situation presents itself of worthy criticism...Because of articles just like this one. 

Full disclosure: I am thankful for everything Baker, Littrell, and McCasland has done for our programs. But I take their rah-rah talk with a huge grain of salt, as we all should. 

I have no doubt in my mind Littrell has UNT's best interest in mind right now.   He's not kicking the can with the scholarship fiasco he inherited.  He's slowly rectifying it.   He could just keep Blueshirting the heck out of guys to get his roster up to size, give himself the best chance to win, then get out of town at the first opportunity.  He's not doing that.   I believe everything he says about "Mean Green Family" and whatnot.   These are his guys.

I also have no doubt in my mind he's looking to move up to a P5.  His track record speaks for itself.   He's only loyal to UNT until a P5 job opens up. 
I understand that.   Guys like Bobby Bowden, Bill Snyder & Gary Patterson are not easy to find.   
Littrell is a competitor.  He wants to be the best.   The only way to be the best is to win a National Championship... and you can't do that unless you're at a P5 school with $$$$ to blow.   UNT is nowhere near that kind of school.

I'm sure Urban Meyer looks back fondly on his time at BGSU, and everything he said/did while there was genuine.  But if he remained there, he wouldn't have multiple National Championships.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1