San Francisco (3/28/18)

CMJ

Time to completely forget about Monday and hype this baby up.

Chances are we do not shoot as poorly from behind the arc two games in a row.  If we get out to a decent start, I think things snowball in our favor similar to last week and we take this one comfortably.

33 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Time to completely forget about Monday and hype this baby up.

Chances are we do not shoot as poorly from behind the arc two games in a row.  If we get out to a decent start, I think things snowball in our favor similar to last week and we take this one comfortably.

This.  My only add would be that I would find it impossible that USF starts off as hot as they did last night from the 3 point line.  We just have to play under control.  We seemed like we were either rushing everything on the fast break or standing around in our half court offense.  I know the team will deliver a much better performance tomorrow night.

• Downvote 1

Last night was a disappointment, to say the least. However, we now have two must-win games to play and within the context of this tournament, this team has owned must-win games. 

As others have mentioned, SF was nuts beyond the arc last night while we were completely anemic. Sleeping in their own beds will help our guys tomorrow night and getting a home crowd will mean a lot to them, I believe. Win tomorrow and it's winner-take-all Friday night! I'm still excited!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, diehardUNTfan said:

Despite how bad we played, we only lost by 10. We had plenty of chances to come back. With that being said, I believe we will win game 2 comfortably. 

Plus they got 42 of their 72 points on 3-point shots ... How likely is that to happen again.... I am optimistic.  We outscored them in the second half... They won because of their  crazy first few minutes of so many 3 point shots going in.. . 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

not good for us, all other teams these guys beat were close games, us not even close.  We have to win two straight and I am no longer optimistic about that.  It all depends which mean green team shows up. I will be at the pit to watch it

I mean we were massively outplayed in the first half, but we still were within 8 in the last three minutes or so.  Though the odds are stacked against you, that is not insurmountable by any stretch.  I've seen many teams pull those sorts of games out.

If there is such thing as feeling good after a loss, I was there as last night wrapped up.

I mean, we couldn't get water to flush down a toilet, Ryan played his worst game of the year and Simmons (I heard) looked lost and confused,  and there was a good stretch in the first half where USF was playing the best ball of their lives.  Yet there we were at the end in a position to steal it.

Coach said in post-game that we hadn't been punched in the mouth yet in the CBI.  Maybe we needed that.  I just have to believe that we saw USF peak and they won't do that again, and we tanked and won't do that again.

Coach said the guys will wake up, things should level out moving forward, and I choose to believe that means we come out on top.

My Green Kool-aid prediction: we'll win a close won and win another by 10-15ish.

• Upvote 1

Simmons had 22 rebounds.  Saying he was lost and laying some of this at his feet is not fair to him.  Sure, he missed some passes down low, but you aren't lost and confused and rip down 22 boards.  Duffy was cold, everyone stood around on offense, Woolridge got caught in the air too many times, etc...  There is a lot of blame to go around.

Now, regarding Wednesday's game, I believe we recover and play better and USF comes back down to earth.  We win by 10 or more and play for it all Friday.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

After watching this game, I wonder if USF can play at that speed for two more games. They did not have the quickness that we have. I think they make up for it with the execution of their system, but I just wonder if they can do that two more time in a week. They have to want to take the next one and not have to try and win back to back on the road while tired. 

This is an incredibly unique opportunity for our men and coaching staff to make and immediately implement and apply opponent-specific changes in response to a loss.

Whatever the outcome tomorrow, I look forward to seeing a high level of intensity and a new wrinkle or two from McCasland.

1 minute ago, jdennis82 said:

This is an incredibly unique opportunity for our men and coaching staff to make and immediately implement and apply opponent-specific changes in response to a loss.

Whatever the outcome tomorrow, I look forward to seeing a high level of intensity and a new wrinkle or two from McCasland.

It wouldn’t hurt to foul these guys if need be. I was disappointed we were not doing this in the last 3-4 minutes of the game Monday. Also Wool should keep driving to the hoop hopefully we get better calls! GMG 

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Simmons had 22 rebounds.  Saying he was lost and laying some of this at his feet is not fair to him.  Sure, he missed some passes down low, but you aren't lost and confused and rip down 22 boards.  Duffy was cold, everyone stood around on offense, Woolridge got caught in the air too many times, etc...  There is a lot of blame to go around.

Now, regarding Wednesday's game, I believe we recover and play better and USF comes back down to earth.  We win by 10 or more and play for it all Friday.

As a Dons fan, I was surprised to see the negativity here directed towards Simmons. From what I saw last night, he's the only skilled big on the UNT roster (Arikawe is energetic, but not particularly talented). 10 points, 22 boards for a freshman post, and people are hating on him? Ouch. I think Simmons will be a good one for you.

Edited by Don Solo
copy-edit
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Don Solo said:

As a Dons fan, I was surprised to see the negativity here directed towards Simmons. From what I saw last night, he's the only skilled big on the UNT roster (Arikawe is energetic, but not particularly talented). 10 points, 22 boards for a freshman post, and people are hating on him? Ouch. I think Simmons will be a good one for you.

No one hating. Just he doesn't know how good he is or how good he could be. 

Like when he got a rebound and instead of going back up he dribbled out and turned it over.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Don Solo said:

We have the most dysfunctional fan.

• Haha 1