Scott Cross fired at UTA

Green Mean

9 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Recruiting violation maybe?

They specifically mentioned running "a program that operates with honor and integrity". So, probably not anything that's an NCAA violation. 

He just re-upped an extension in 2016, and they're buying out at least two years of that deal. So, can't be a financial move, because unless someone is going to pay to coach there, they'll be spending more money for the next two years than if they'd just kept him through the end of the current deal. 

Either there's an internal problem, or a non-program ethical issue. The fact that EVERYONE is out from that coaching staff makes me think it's likelier to be an internal problem... But the same AD that just fired Cross re-upped him to at least two extensions that I can remember. So, how is it a power struggle or a boss/subordinate fight?

And if it is a Petrino/Eustachy/etc. type non-sports personal issue... Why fire all of the assistants from a team that's had 3 straight 20 win seasons and almost made the NCAA Tournament this year? Wouldn't you want at least some continuity in that situation? 

Very, very weird. Curious to see what really happened here. 

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

Horribly foolish.

I have watched UTA sports for over 30 years and Scott Cross is the best thing that has ever happened for that athletic department.

Remember though...this is the same goofy program that ran off Donna Capps, who took them to two NCAA's in three years.

STUPID!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

It's about AD Jim Baker wanting to hire his own guy to run the program. Baker didn't originally hire Cross.

Hasn't Cross been under Baker's watch for over 5 years?

This is up there with the top idiotic moves I've ever seen in DFW sports.  Somewhere above anything/everything Cowboys and next in line below our retention of Benford.