Gonzaga Likely To Join Mountain West Within Next Two Weeks

Harry

LOS ANGELES -- "In a perfect world," Gonzagawill make a decision about its conference affiliation in the next two weeks as the potential exists for it to join the Mountain West ahead of the 2018-19 season, athletic director Mike Roth told CBS Sports.

There is mutual interest between both parties in Gonzaga becoming the 12th basketball member of the 20-year-old Mountain West.

In early March, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson confirmed to the San Diego Union-Tribune that his league had been in expansion talks with Gonzaga and "other schools."

read more: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gonzaga-to-the-mountain-west-zags-hope-to-reach-conference-decision-in-next-two-weeks/

6 hours ago, CMJ said:

Part of me is surprised, just because the WCC hasn't seemed to really hold Gonzaga back.  They've made four straight Sweet 16s and played in the National Title game last year.

However, the MWC is generally a stronger league.

I think Gonzaga realizes that playing in a better league will help them more down the road when it comes to getting at-large bids. The screw job St. Mary’s has gotten twice as an at-large team has really been eye-opening to just how weak the rest of the WCC is perceived to be. Unless BYU has a decent team, nobody else gets much respect or attention.

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2018 at 1:56 AM, untjim1995 said:

I think Gonzaga realizes that playing in a better league will help them more down the road when it comes to getting at-large bids. The screw job St. Mary’s has gotten twice as an at-large team has really been eye-opening to just how weak the rest of the WCC is perceived to be. Unless BYU has a decent team, nobody else gets much respect or attention.

Gonzaga has made 20 straight NCAA tournaments, including a few times as an at-large.  I doubt they're terribly concerned about that.

I actually think this is a sideways move by Gonzaga.  They could be king of the hill and top 4 seed every year or fade into a BYU status after the big fish moves to the bigger pond.  They can play for the national championship from the wcc.  They will be lucky to win the mwc in the coming years.  UNLV coming Boise strong SDSU always around and Nevada doing it occasionally.  They fit the footprint.  Here comes BYU to rule the wcc.

gmg

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

I am hearing the opposite...that they are likely NOT leaving the WCC. This is all just a negotiation tactic to get more out of the WCC. And it's working...the WCC has already announced schedule changes for next season and a change to the tournament format, both of which clearly are designed with Gonzaga in mind. And I don't think the MWC is that much stronger, personally. BYU/Saint Mary's would give Nevada/San Diego State a run for their money. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Don Solo said:

I am hearing the opposite...that they are likely NOT leaving the WCC. This is all just a negotiation tactic to get more out of the WCC. And it's working...the WCC has already announced schedule changes for next season and a change to the tournament format, both of which clearly are designed with Gonzaga in mind. And I don't think the MWC is that much stronger, personally. BYU/Saint Mary's would give Nevada/San Diego State a run for their money. 

I wondered about this considering they kept using "In a perfect world" throughout the article.

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Don Solo said:

BYU hated their previous stint in the MWC, which is why they left the first time. That said, they don't exactly have loyalty to the WCC, so anything is possible where they are concerned. Saint Mary's is not going to leave the WCC, period.

Why wouldn't they leave? The WCC isn't giving them any extra chances to make the NCAA tournament unless they win the league's tournament. I doubt St. Mary's cares about no longer playing San Diego if they can SDSU instead, same with USF instead of SJSU. They wouldn't play Portland anymore, but Boise State...

The MWC would be very smart to add Gonzaga. Whether SMC or BYU would get invited back in the scenario I listed above is just pure speculation, but I could see both doing it if offered...

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1