What would be your Post Season Preference?

Cooley

Post Season Preference  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your post season preference?

• Make the NCAA Tournament - Lose in the first round
    • Make the NIT - Win 1 game before being eliminated
    • Win the CBI Tournament
    • Beat Sam Houston St for the CIT Championship

I lean towards NCAA, but I have some thoughts

I think our exposure might be greater if we are a 8-14 seed, rather than a 15-16 seed.  The latter is rarely given a second thought because everyone just expects you to get plastered by the 1/2 seeds.

So, if we'd be a 15 or 16 I would lean more towards NIT.

Totally guessing though and I like this thread.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Mean Green 93-98’s logic.  Winning is better.  I was not familiar with the CBI before we were in it and I quickly lose interest in any tourney when/if NT is not involved.  Is North Texas getting exposure on TV and radio in the CBI ?  I haven’t heard any.  

Win

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It seems like Winning the CBI or CIT seems pretty comparable to winning the CUSA conference tournament (which would result in an NCAA appearance).  All three scenarios result in winning a post season tournament.

I think I would put winning an NIT game just a notch below the other three options.

ETA: I think our conference tournament will normally have a stronger field than either the CBI or CIT so I think it would be a bigger accomplishment to win the CUSA tournament (which is why I picked NCAA appearance.

Edited by TreeFiddy

The 2015 CBI winner was ---- Loyola- Chicago ..... and they are in the Final four of NCAA this year.

The 2016 CBI winner was --- Nevada ... and they made the NCAA this year and they lost to Loyola - Chicago in the round of 16..

The 2017 CBI winner was ---  Wyoming....   they were 20-13 but not invited anywhere and in 6th place  in. Mountain West.

UNT next year...????   ....  sic em. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

The 2015 CBI winner was ---- Loyola- Chicago ..... and they are in the Final four of NCAA this year.

The 2016 CBI winner was --- Nevada ... and they made the NCAA this year and they lost to Loyola - Chicago in the round of 16..

The 2017 CBI winner was ---  Wyoming....   they were 20-13 but not invited anywhere and in 6th place  in. Mountain West.

UNT next year...????   ....  sic em. 

Ho-hum, Nevada was the MWC regular-season champ this year, and ended the season ranked #22 in the nation.   I'd take that as well.

6 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Why does the option have to be to lose first round of NCAA's?

i would almost always pick getting invited to the NCAA tournament, UNLESS it is for a play in game.

The reason is because the hypothetical question always gets tossed around is it better to win the NIT or lose one and done in the NCAAs.  This is just taking that age old question to another level.

(In the original age old question I'm of the opinion that it's better to win the NIT than lose opening round of the NCAAs, but others disagree)

19 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Why does the option have to be to lose first round of NCAA's?

i would almost always pick getting invited to the NCAA tournament, UNLESS it is for a play in game.

The poll already appears to be lop-sided enough as it is.  I suspect it would be even moreso if an option to win 1+ games in the NCAA tourney were available.   Guessing Cooley was trying to gauge how people feel about 1&done VS other scenarios.

• Haha 1

Most teams from mid-majors historically receive a 14-16 seed; which means they play a 1-3. As everyone knows, UMBC is the only team is tournament history to win against a #1. I would imagine the odds are less than 15% of a team moving on past the first round. 

What would have been a better question/option is winning at least 2 games in the NIT. Of course, the consensus would have been 100% if we could have won a game or two in the NCAA's. 

I would think this team has a 75% chance of winning the CBI (based on post-season performance) Does this garner any press/recognition outside of Denton? Or, would it generate more PR with a NCAA berth or good showing in the NIT.  Financially, I believe the NCAA would be more beneficial. Yet, a team may feel a greater sense of accomplishment with a CBI championship banner in the rafters.   

21 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Most teams from mid-majors historically receive a 14-16 seed; which means they play a 1-3. As everyone knows, UMBC is the only team is tournament history to win against a #1. I would imagine the odds are less than 15% of a team moving on past the first round. 

What would have been a better question/option is winning at least 2 games in the NIT. Of course, the consensus would have been 100% if we could have won a game or two in the NCAA's. 

I would think this team has a 75% chance of winning the CBI (based on post-season performance) Does this garner any press/recognition outside of Denton? Or, would it generate more PR with a NCAA berth or good showing in the NIT.  Financially, I believe the NCAA would be more beneficial. Yet, a team may feel a greater sense of accomplishment with a CBI championship banner in the rafters.   

The thing with an NCAA birth for us is that is essentially means that we would have won the conference tournament to get the bid.  Personally, I would put winning the CBI or CIT slightly below in terms of importance/prestige compared to winning our conference tournament.

Here's how WKU's coach votes in this poll:

Western Kentucky coach Rick Stansbury believes playing in the semifinals of the NIT Tournament is better than losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

"Winning three games and getting here is much better than playing one and getting beat," Stansbury said via the Associated Press.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nit-tournament-western-kentucky-coach-says-nit-run-better-than-going-one-and-out-in-ncaa-tournament/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I kinda feel like:

Getting to NY in the NIT is better than one and done in the NCAAs

Winning one game in the NCAA's is better than being a semifinalist or finalist in the NIT

Winning the NIT is better than winning a game in the NCAAs (under most circumstances.....not all....see UMBC for example of its better to win a game in NCAAs)

Getting to Sweet 16 is better than anything in the NIT

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

You would have to get to the NIT semifinals to equal the conference payout from a first round loss in the NCAA, and the NCAA tourney distribution formula gives you a share for an additional 5 years. 

I wasn't speaking of monetary returns, but of course if one factors in that the NCAA will always win out.

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I wasn't speaking of monetary returns, but of course if one factors in that the NCAA will always win out.

I don't think anything short of the exposure of a NIT championship would offset the loss of cash from losing in the first, we have a lot of bills to pay.   

Even in recruiting, I think selling a kid that we are a tourney team and need him to get further is an easier sell than telling a kid we are an NIT champion and need him to get to the tourney.