Observations from the 2018 UNT Spring Football Game

Ben Gooding

This may have been mentioned previously, but I don't think there is a difference between Nic Smith and  DeAndre Torrey. Would have been nice if the department could have had rosters available for a spring game. There wasn't anything that stood out other than the Fine/Guyton connection.  Smallest attendance I've seen in years. Happy to see work well underway for Mean Green Track & Field. So much activity taking place today. Soccer, softball, spring game and some event at the Pit.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cooley said:

This may have been mentioned previously, but I don't think there is a difference between Nic Smith and  DeAndre Torrey. Would have been nice if the department could have had rosters available for a spring game. There wasn't anything that stood out other than the Fine/Guyton connection.  Smallest attendance I've seen in years. Happy to see work well underway for Mean Green Track & Field. So much activity taking place today. Soccer, softball, spring game and some event at the Pit.   

Agree on not having the programs/roster numbers sucked. 

Did anyone see Micheal Lawerence? I thought was #7 but never saw a #7. 

Attendence was a lot better than last years game. It will only keep improving. 

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Wookies said:

I thought Greg White looked good. I'd like to see a set with Guyton, Bussey and White on the field at the same time. Bussey looked bigger/stronger than last year. Novil made some good plays on the d-line as did Siggers at safety.

Rico did look thicker. novil put up solid stats. Hope he can have a breakout year. 

Missed out on Siggers, and RJ Reynolds. They were 2 kids I wanted to watch. 

Agree on the White, Rico, Guyton Package. I would love to see us get Guyton in motion and run him on drags to help him beat press. I’m still dreaming of them adding Shorter to the White, Rico, Guyton group.

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Only question that matters: Did our defense dominate the day?

Rick

No, but I don't think that there are many defenses that can dominate our offense; especially our second team defense.  

They did seem to improve as the scrimmage wore on but it appears that our offense is so good that many times when the defense was covering they were still able to make the play.  

Recognition seemed good but one cause for concern was broken tackles.  We have some backs and receivers that if you don't wrap up, they'll get additional yardage or even break clear.

To me, this defense seems a little quicker and will become even more so this fall when more speed arrives.  Also, I'm still waiting to see English and hoping that he'll be both a dominant player and a spiritual leader for the defense this coming season.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

No, but I don't think that there are many defenses that can dominate our offense; especially our second team defense.  

They did seem to improve as the scrimmage wore on but it appears that our offense is so good that many times when the defense was covering they were still able to make the play.  

Recognition seemed good but one cause for concern was broken tackles.  We have some backs and receivers that if you don't wrap up, they'll get additional yardage or even break clear.

To me, this defense seems a little quicker and will become even more so this fall when more speed arrives.  Also, I'm still waiting to see English and hoping that he'll be both a dominant player and a spiritual leader for the defense this coming season.

Very concerning then because the defense knows the plays.  If they can't stop it when they know it's coming....well, they won't when they don't.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

15 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Noticed converted TE, Jamie King, on the field at LB a lot.  Will be interesting to see if he can crack the 2 deep in the Fall.

And he surprisingly had a decent day. LeMasters was making plays too. Just from a first glance the LB depth looks better this year

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I wasn't able to make it.   How did Fulp look?

I'm hoping Fulp is able to quicken his reads, while he was in the play a lot of the time, he looked a step slow, often making the tackle 4-5 yards downfield rather than at the LOS. His reads/reactions should improve over time. Seems to fit more of a downhill thumper role than a rangy guy. Solid depth this year for sure, here's hoping he can learn a lot from Ejiya/Garner.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1

From what I could tell, the LB rotation seemed to be Ozougwu, Garner, Ejiya running 1st team and King, Fulp, LeMasters running 2nd team.  It was kind of hard to see numbers due to the black jerseys.

I am sure the staff is hoping that Tim Faison, the JUCO LB, can come in an push Ozougwu for playing time.  Would have been really nice to have him in getting reps this Spring.

• Lovely Take 1