Streaming San Francisco vs Campbell

UNT 90 Grad

1 minute ago, Marty said:

I bet he knows more than he's letting on. He seemed to know quite a bit about McCasland. 

Yup...he's a sly one.  He did mention that we creamed Jacksonville and seemed genuinely impressed.

• Upvote 1

We are way more athletic than USF.

They are led by Boum, a freshman who is averaging 11.3 points per game.  He shoots 36% from the 3 and has hit 41 treys.

They have one slow 6'9" dude, McCarthy, that's averaging 8 points and 5 rebounds per game.   

They have one athletic 6'7" averaging 5 rebounds and 5.8 points a game.

And that Farrari kid is their best deep shooter and averaging 11 points per game. Shoots 37% from the 3 and has 57 treys.

They average 42% from the floor, 68% from the stripe and 33% from 3 with 289 3's on the season.

They lost to Gonzaga all three times they faced them, playing within 9 one time.

They lost to San Diego by 10 in San Diego.(We beat SD in double OT there)

They beat Central Arkansas by only 2..76-78.  Central Arkansas got routed by Jacksonville State Monday night.

We just gotta play our game.

Rick.

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

We are way more athletic than USF.

They are led by Boum, a freshman who is averaging 11.3 points per game.  He shoots 36% from the 3 and has hit 41 treys.

They have one slow 6'9" dude, McCarthy, that's averaging 8 points and 5 rebounds per game.   

They have one athletic 6'7" averaging 5 rebounds and 5.8 points a game.

And that Farrari kid is their best deep shooter and averaging 11 points per game. Shoots 37% from the 3 and has 57 treys.

They average 42% from the floor, 68% from the stripe and 33% from 3 with 289 3's on the season.

They lost to Gonzaga all three times they faced them, playing within 9 one time.

They lost to San Diego by 10 in San Diego.(We beat SD in double OT there)

They beat Central Arkansas by only 2..76-78.  Central Arkansas got routed by Jacksonville State Monday night.

We just gotta play our game.

Rick.

Souley Boum was a three-time Oakland Athletic League player of the year in high school. If you are unfamiliar with East Bay public high school hoops, that is quite a feat. A freshman, he started a lot for the Dons early in the season and was the main scoring punch during that time, which is why he finished as the leading scorer. In recent months though, he has mostly been coming off the bench and has faded a bit in terms of his contribution overall. He is lightning quick and completely fearless, which causes him problems sometimes when he drives to the hoop. If North Texas has a decent shot blocker, he will probably get Boum a couple times.

Matt McCarthy, a 6'9" junior from Australia, has a pretty wide range of post moves and can cause problems if defenders aren't prepared. Some games he is great (last night, for example, he had 15 points and 14 boards) and in others he disappears. I would describe him as "crafty." Against much bigger centers, the Dons tend to use more of their backup center, Jimbo Lull. A 7'0" sophomore, Lull is slow as dirt, but played his best basketball of his career in the last couple of months. USF's opponent in the quarters was Utah Valley, who had much bigger, more physical guys in the paint than Campbell. Lull shined in that game, going for 15 on 7-8 floor. 

The only senior on the team is 6'5" Chase Foster. Foster is a decent outside shooter and can finish at the rim, too. He is a pretty good rebounder for a wing. Average defender with average speed. Personally, as a USF fan, I am fine that he is graduating, especially since he will be replaced by USF's best player, Charles Minlend, who missed the entire season with a shoulder injury. Still, nice to have at least one senior this late in the season. He doesn't rattle.

At the two is 6'5" Jordan Ratinho, a sophomore from De La Salle HS in Concord. Ratinho broke the USF single-season record for three pointers this year. He may be USF's most consistent player. Last night he played fantastic defense on Chris Clemons, who came in averaging 25 pg, and only had 18 on 5-17 floor (1-8 from three) and never looked comfortable.  Ratinho was #1 in the WCC in 3pt shooting during conference play, hitting 49.4% from distance. 

At the four is the team captain Nate Renfro, a 6'7" junior. Nate is a RIDICULOUS athlete, one of the best in the WCC (Rui Hachimura from the Zags is the other one that comes to mind). He's also a 4.0 student, so seriously, screw that guy. lol. He does a lot of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Last night he had two killer blocks on dunk attempts. At least once a game, he makes a crowd go "Ooooooo." Not a good shooter, but he's a great leaper who can really dunk (https://twitter.com/nate_renfro/status/923429508731977728).

And the MVP for the Dons this season is easily their point guard with the best name in college hoops, Frankie Ferrari. A 5'11" junior, Frankie came on strong during WCC season after dealing with injuries during the non-conference. He's an incredible passer, a solid shooter, and he takes really good care of the ball. Last night he had four turnovers, which is highly unusual for him. In the quarters against Utah Valley, he had 11 assists and only two turnovers. His assist-to-turnover ratio hovers around 3. He's one of those gym rat guys, with an innate sense of where his teammates are on the floor at all times. Rarely makes bad decisions. 

• Upvote 5

The USF-Campbell score (I kinda wanted to play a school that had a Camel as a mascot.  And what is a Don ? ) indicates that these teams were closely matched.  While I have heard of San Francisco, I don't think I really was aware of USF.  Campbell, Mercer, Jacksonville State, etc are all teams that don't seem to get a lot of press, at least in this part of the world.  I think North Texas is easily the class of the College Basketball Invitational tourney.  I can't find the attendance stat for last night's game.  I would assume the Thursday night attendance would be about the same we would expect on Monday night in San Francisco.  Where, by the way, little cable cars climb half way to the star.

Beat Don Corleone, Don Drapper, and the SF Dons

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

"I think North Texas is easily the class of the College Basketball Invitational tourney."

Based on what? I would probably argue that the best team in the field was Utah Valley, a 23 win team and the only one in the field that was Top-100 RPI. Honestly, I was a bit surprised to see a sub-.500 team in the field, although North Texas has obviously shown they were up to the challenge. Should be a good series next week. 

As for Dons, they are Spanish noblemen. Think "Zorro". The Dons have a rich basketball tradition, having won two NCAA championships in the '50s with a team that included K.C. Jones and the greatest winner in basketball history, Bill Russell. The sports information director that year was a guy named Pete Rozelle. They made it to the Final Four after Russell graduated, too. They also were #1 in the late '70s with Bill Cartwright leading the team. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Don Solo said:

"I think North Texas is easily the class of the College Basketball Invitational tourney."

Based on what? I would probably argue that the best team in the field was Utah Valley, a 23 win team and the only one in the field that was Top-100 RPI. Honestly, I was a bit surprised to see a sub-.500 team in the field, although North Texas has obviously shown they were up to the challenge. Should be a good series next week. 

As for Dons, they are Spanish noblemen. Think "Zorro". The Dons have a rich basketball tradition, having won two NCAA championships in the '50s with a team that included K.C. Jones and the greatest winner in basketball history, Bill Russell. The sports information director that year was a guy named Pete Rozelle. They made it to the Final Four after Russell graduated, too. They also were #1 in the late '70s with Bill Cartwright leading the team. 

The way we've been kicking everyone's A** so far.

Also, South Dakota was 22-8 with an RPI of 91.  We killed them (by 23pts) too.

I like your history, but y'all will not be adding to it next week.  I'm sorry.

• Upvote 2

Fair enough. USF was kicking the crap out of Utah Valley (up 22 with 8 to play) and then completely crapped the bed to let the Wolverines back in the game (think Nevada-Cincinnati). That has been a common problem for the Dons - they build big leads and then have a hard time finishing. For example, they blew an 8-point lead in Provo to BYU with less than a minute to play and lost in OT. Ugh, that game....

Anyway, USF is a battle-tested team. Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, Nevada, BYU....plenty of tough teams under their belts. I think the series goes three games. May the best team win!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Don Solo said:

Fair enough. USF was kicking the crap out of Utah Valley (up 22 with 8 to play) and then completely crapped the bed to let the Wolverines back in the game (think Nevada-Cincinnati). That has been a common problem for the Dons - they build big leads and then have a hard time finishing. For example, they blew an 8-point lead in Provo to BYU with less than a minute to play and lost in OT. Ugh, that game....

Anyway, USF is a battle-tested team. Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, Nevada, BYU....plenty of tough teams under their belts. I think the series goes three games. May the best team win!

Thanks for coming on and sharing.  It's always helpful to know who's who on the other teams from a fan's perspective.

I couldn't make the link work but upon further review, I find that the attendance last night was 1,163 (5,300).  Percentage wise, that's more than we draw at the Coliseum.  I would expect the Dons would draw better Monday night. 

Beat Don Duck, beat  Don Ameche, and beat the San Francisco Dons.

GO MEAN GREEN

27 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

Don, duh Don Don! Don duh Don Don DON!!

54 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

Not to mention Dom DiMaggio.

Oh wait, he was Dom, not Don.  But he was from San Francisco.

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I couldn't make the link work but upon further review, I find that the attendance last night was 1,163 (5,300).  Percentage wise, that's more than we draw at the Coliseum.  

I don't think it is. We had 2,700 on Wednesday. That's more than twice what they had and we don't have twice the capacity. 

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The way we've been kicking everyone's A** so far.

Also, South Dakota was 22-8 with an RPI of 91.  We killed them (by 23pts) too.

South Dakota finished 26-9.

They had played UCLA to within 3, TCU to within 5, Duke to within 15.  They beat San Jose State by 4 and beat Southern Miss by 13.  They were battle hardened too....til the Mean Green rolled in.

Hopefully our momentum keeps up.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

On 3/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Don Solo said:

No mention of former Dallas Mavericks Center Wallace Bryant in the mid 80s?

• Upvote 1