Not to be greedy...but what is the missing piece?

Harry

I like everyone am so thrilled about this major turnaround in men's basketball.  The CBI has given us a glimpse of what could be an AMAZING future for the program.

Here's my question, we know that we basically only lose Temara (who is not playing in the tourney) and we add the Russian (6-10) and Jahmiah Simmons (6-4) both listed as forwards.

We know Umoja Gibson (shooting guard) will be back after his injury.

We know Jalen Jackson the point guard out of SA is committed to the 2019 class.  He is evidently the heir apparent to Woolridge.

We also know that we OWE a ship to Draper period. He is so damn deserving...

So assuming if through attrition or whatever, we have 1 or 2 (not likely) spots left to give, at what position would you think we need to land to best set ourselves up for the 2019 season?  Should it be high school or juco or best available?  Put yourself in Mac's shoes and let's try to predict what (if anything) he will do.

PS - I am sure I am missing some details on the scholarship numbers etc here so feel free to correct as needed!  GMG

I want someone like UT's Mo Bamba. 6-11, 225+ pounds, who can create havoc down under, in the paint, and has a soft touch shot.  I watched Bamba in person this year and he was a ball blocking machine who could shoot.  He has a 7ft, 9 inch wingspan.  Unfortunately for tu he's declaring for the NBA draft.  One and done.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

A big body who will clean glass and is capable of stepping out to about 15 feet.  If there is a weakness that I identified last night it's the drop off when Simmons leaves the floor.  We have plenty of scoring, but I want to see someone who will prevent second chance points for the opposition.  

• Upvote 2

The focus seems to be on versatile wing players 6'5/6'6/6'7ish.  Someone like Holston that is a threat to score. I believe that is the type of guy they want to add with this class.

Draper is deserving, but if I only have one scholarship it cant be him. Mac has to let him know that his scholarship is coming if need be, but it might not be now.

One thing they are missing is the shot blocker, that's what I would like to see them add, but that's going to be so hard to find.

They will get enough low post scoring from Zach, Simmons, and Tope that they dont really need another guy. Sure it would be nice for depth like y'all have mentioned, but its not a priority. 

Ultimately I trust in the plan to add another scoring wing. Two guys clogging the paint up doesn't translate to wins. UNT needs to continue to focus on playing with pace and space. Give me the 6'6 Wing that can play 1-4. Guard bigger players in the paint or switch onto any guard. Can drive to the rim. Hit 3's. That is the guy that North Texas HAS to add. The coaching staff knows it. @BillySee58has mentioned it before. 3 Shooters should always be on the floor next year. Lawson and Woolridge should rarely be on the floor at the same time. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

A big body who will clean glass and is capable of stepping out to about 15 feet.  If there is a weakness that I identified last night it's the drop off when Simmons leaves the floor.  We have plenty of scoring, but I want to see someone who will prevent second chance points for the opposition.  

I wonder if Simmons could get pushed around and neutralized by bigger, more pure Centers.

• Upvote 2

Close games come down to the charity stripe.  You were probably looking for a missing player/position, but I think our missing piece is being a much better free throw shooting team.  That's going to be the difference of putting games away or letting our opponents turn a win into a nail-biter.

• Upvote 3

I think I am looking at adding two types of players. One wing between 6'3" and 6'6" who is a good shooter, can put the ball on the floor a little, and can guard the opposing teams' 3, who will also typically be around that height. A tier A guy for this role would be the guys we have offered; Wendell Mitchell and Tremell Murphy.

If you get one of those guys, they start at the 3 next to Woolridge and Smart, then you have Gibson and Duffy backing them up. If you can't get them, a tier B guy would be in that mold but not quite as good as those two. In that case you'd start Woolridge, Duffy, and Smart and have Gibson and that tier B guy backing them up. Those would be your 5 guards rotating at the 1 through 3 spots.

Then one player around 6'6"-6'8" who is a stretch 4 with some size and rebounding ability. Think Colin Voss with more range or Rashawn Fredericks, who decommitted from us in October. Someone who can stretch the floor, rebound, and may not be a great rim protector but could play some 5 if you need.

We have Simmons and Arikawe at the 5, which is solid but just two guys is not great depth. Meanwhile at the 4 you have guys like Tikhonenko, Miller, J Simmons, and Holston who fit at the 4 but are not guys you necessarily want playing the 5. This guy could be capable of playing both the 4 and the 5, which we really don't have a guy like that at the moment.

• Thanks 1

For this team to take the next level it needs physicality down low. (Size, bulk and athleticism) The perimeter game is great when shots are falling. Scoring 85-90 points  is entertaining assuming you can stop other teams of equal or greater talent.  Assuming there is only 1 spot available, the best big man you can get is my preference. 

We also need another beat writer. Our local coverage has been lacking for at least the last 5 years. Why do we even have to speculate on the number of scholarships available? Or, if a key walk-on will cease to be a walk-on. Did anyone know Shane Temara had left the team prior to the CBI? Have we ever had anyone, semi-affiliated with this program, consistently show lack of class and professionalism with the constant assault on a past coach or coaches? All the time not saying one damn word about the previous women's coach's record. Make reading the Chronicle Great Again!       

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Give me the next Jordan Williams and this program will take off! I would love for Woolridge and Lawson to work on their perimeter game, but a solid Jordan Williams type player would really help spread the floor.

I think Tremell Murphy could be a slightly smaller JW type of player, but I saw that he just got offered by Oregon so our chances of landing him just took a hit.

ETA: https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Bolt/Oregon-basketball-recruiting-Tremell-Murphy-116562450

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

For this team to take the next level it needs physicality down low. (Size, bulk and athleticism) The perimeter game is great when shots are falling. Scoring 85-90 points  is entertaining assuming you can stop other teams of equal or greater talent.  Assuming there is only 1 spot available, the best big man you can get is my preference. 

We also need another beat writer. Our local coverage has been lacking for at least the last 5 years. Why do we even have to speculate on the number of scholarships available? Or, if a key walk-on will cease to be a walk-on. Did anyone know Shane Temara had left the team prior to the CBI? Have we ever had anyone, semi-affiliated with this program, consistently show lack of class and professionalism with the constant assault on a past coach or coaches? All the time not saying one damn word about the previous women's coach's record. Make reading the Chronicle Great Again!       

most of your beat writer criticisms are accurate with the exception of Temara.  Why would you spend time reporting that a Senior was no longer on a team that was done for the season?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

a Shawnson Johnson type would be nice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

I think Tremell Murphy could be a slightly smaller JW type of player, but I saw that he just got offered by Oregon so our chances of landing him just took a hit.

ETA: https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Bolt/Oregon-basketball-recruiting-Tremell-Murphy-116562450

We are the better shade of green... so hopefully he keeps that in mind. In all seriousness, I am hoping McCasland can show him what this team can do and offer him a role/minutes he cannot deny.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I think Tope will surprise alot of folks by next year.  Kid is still pretty Green to the game of basketball.  I like how strong Tope is around the rim.  We need Simmons to adopt that same approach to the weight room. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1