Disappointed at Attendance

greenjoe

25 minutes ago, Marty said:

Was that the blond haired lady? I also saw Strawberry turn around & tell someone to "shut the F up".

It was. Strawberry was talking to my friend I brought to the game. He hadn’t been to a game in a couple of years, but said he had so much fun Monday night that he is coming with me again tonight.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Some of the other stuff you listed I believe would be happening first.

As to baseball, I don’t believe it’s on the table in that timeframe last I heard. Honestly, I don’t think we should add the expense of another sport like baseball until our football and basketball programs are consistently conference championship material anyway.

Agree.    I just don't think a new arena is critical to that development for b-ball though.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree.    I just don't think a new arena is critical to that development for b-ball though.

Maybe.  I think there are several significant issues associated with the Super Pit long term, but you're right in that the physical facility won't limit attendance growth if the program succeeds..  From Athletics standpoint, it's pretty limited in it's revenue generation potential for the program because there are no suites, club level and true premium seating options to sell.  

To me, basketball represents a much easier way for North Texas to be relevant on a national stage as opposed to football and warrants a significant investment if we really want to be serious.  I do think consistent winning, regular post season appearances and a newer state of the art facility would help with talent acquisition, attractiveness to coaches, fan experience and most importantly revenue generation.

9 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Maybe.  I think there are several significant issues associated with the Super Pit long term, but you're right in that the physical facility won't limit attendance growth if the program succeeds..  From Athletics standpoint, it's pretty limited in it's revenue generation potential for the program because there are no suites, club level and true premium seating options to sell.  

To me, basketball represents a much easier way for North Texas to be relevant on a national stage as opposed to football and warrants a significant investment if we really want to be serious.  I do think consistent winning, regular post season appearances and a newer state of the art facility would help with talent acquisition, attractiveness to coaches, fan experience and most importantly revenue generation.

A nationally relevant program doesn't need a super fancy venue though.

Look at St. Mary's tiny little venue.  It looks like a high school gym:
case-study-stmarys-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Super Pit is just fine as a venue--the product and the attendance it doesn't provide are the problems. I suspect that McCasland's next few years will fix this. People have to realize that Benford being allowed to stay here for 5 years was a nuclear bomb to the program. The guy RV hired to come here should've been fired after 2 years, when it became obvious to anyone who cared that he was in way over his head with his "Hockey Line Change" mentality he was using. His x's and o's are amongst the worst I have ever seen, right there with Vic Trilli. Both of those guys could recruit, but your below-average YMCA youth coach was better at strategy on the court than either of these guys. 

I blame RV and the UNT 17 for all of it, but the reality was that Benford's last season here was the price to pay to get rid of RV, so I accepted that reality. And that extra year of failure was what allowed us to buyout Grant McCasland from Arky State. So in the end, McCasland is having to pour the foundation and rebuild things, which he has shown a pretty good job of being able to do so far. Long road ahead, but I suspect that he will succeed to at least the level of JJ if he keeps the momentum going forward.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don’t think I’ve been to a college b-ball venue that has premium/club level suites. I didn’t know that was a thing.

SMU's Moody Coliseum was upgraded to include "club seats, loge boxes, private suites, group suites" so it is a thing for newer or remodeled facilities.

I know sometimes you guys pound me, but what I was disappointed in was the amount of people that were at the game.  Meaning,  If we had those crowds at two fabulous well played basketball games against Marshall and Western Kentucky, the crowd may have been the difference the kids needed to get those two extra points.

The crowd was excellent in comparison to all season.

Hope we build on that tonight.  I know I will be in the same seat pushing the envelope with the officiating to the point that.......

Nah I really don't want to get thrown out again.

#itsallajoke

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CMJ said:

I've been in several (newer and/or updated) college basketball arenas that I wouldn't say are significantly better than the Super Pit.  

The issue isn’t that Superpit is breaking down.. it’s needs a lot of updates and that is costly. Improving the ADA standards is the biggest issue.. the Superpit is grandfathered in, but as things keep updating, the requirements for those grandfathered items are changing. 

They also want to put in luxury boxes I believe has been brought up in the past by someone. Also, if they were to do a new Superpit, they could attract multiple other shows events. Currently they are doing dance and cheer. But again I believe on the master plan, the New Superpit I’m in phase 3, behind baseball (in phase2)

4 hours ago, CMJ said:

I still don't really think we need a brand new basketball arena and the money would be better served elsewhere.  But, hell if they wanna build a new one, that's cool.  

That’s the plan, someone had posted the master plan and the 1st phase was things like the IPF, Soccer/Track, and AD office improvements. 

Phases 2 had a baseball stadium (on the south side of the Dorm, and northeast of the tennis complex), and I believe expanded parking in the grass field across from Apogee. 

Phase 3 has the new Superpit that also would be home to the summer/dive teams instead of the Rec center and PEB.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd rather see several other projects completed before a new b-ball arena though.   Tennis still needs a Center court, upgrades at ALL facilities on the old Liberty campus.  Upgrades to the Athletics Center (especially the weightroom & lockerroom).   Heck, I'd rather see baseball started up before a new b-ball arena.

All those things are in works, I’ll look for the link to the master plan (I believe it was posted by Harry or another mod) but the a new SuperPit is way down the line with some/most of these being addressed

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

That’s the plan, someone had posted the master plan and the 1st phase was things like the IPF, Soccer/Track, and AD office improvements. 

Phases 2 had a baseball stadium (on the south side of the Dorm, and northeast of the tennis complex), and I believe expanded parking in the grass field across from Apogee. 

Phase 3 has the new Superpit that also would be home to the summer/dive teams instead of the Rec center and PEB.

All those things are in works, I’ll look for the link to the master plan (I believe it was posted by Harry or another mod) but the a new SuperPit is way down the line with some/most of these being addressed

I know it's in the Master Plan.  I thought it seemed a bit silly then, and I still do.  But, hey whatever they wanna do!

6 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

don't get off topic people.  We have a basketball game to be played tonight.  It's March freakin 21st and the University of North Texas Mean Green are playing a home game in a post season basketball tournament.......

To say I am jacked would be an understatement.

Wake up 530.  shower and drag to work...... work till noon......margaritas at lunch,  go back to the office....fake a phone call and exit the building.....to continue priming for the game......

AGAINST OF ALL PEOPLE THE EVIL VILLIAN RAY  MMMMMFFFFING HARPER.....

The d2 John calipari ray harper.  wins vacated, leave wku in questionable circumstances Ray Harper.  He's had WKU in the dance and this baskingrobbins state in the big dance within the last 5 years.  Lord how I would love to Mercer him back to where ever the F they come from tonight....

good times people....good times..

#itsallajoke

Instant HOF post. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Tonight's listed at almost 2,800. 

Somebody got the word that the 1145 reported last game was ridiculous. This one seems about right. Great win at the Super Pit tonight. Loud 2,800 too! So much fun!

Our crowd against Jacksonville State (2,800) is actually the third biggest home crowd of the CBI and CIT this year. Grand Canyon had 5,900 (all numbers in this post rounded) for their CBI round of 16 loss to Mercer. Drake has 3,600 for their CIT first round win against Abilene Christian. 

If we win in SF tomorrow I think we top 4,000 Wednesday. 

• Upvote 1