DRC: Breaking news -- UNT men to face South Dakota in CBI

Brett Vito

South Dakota may be the best team in the tournament. They beat Southern Miss by 13 and played both TCU and UCLA very close.

I have been to Vermillion South Dakota and it is in the middle of nowhere. They were 13-1 at home and 5 of their 8 losses were to NCAA Tournament teams including Duke. This will be a challenging game. Beating a 25-8 team on the road would be a quality win.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Lovely Take 3

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Call me a negative nellie, but $50,000 for basically an extra exhibition game or two? I'd rather them spend that money on private free throw lessons.

I don't believe it cost visiting team any money. Host school pays. Unless it's changed visiting team actually gets most of travel paid. I wouldn't be for it most years. Only when you have a young team that could benefit from the experience. I think this is the kinda year to do it. I view this about like bowl seasons with 5 wins. If you expected to win 10 games, decline a 5 win bowl bid. But if you have a young team that could benefit from postseason experience and additional practice time, it makes sense. I'd be surprised if GMac or WB would play in it next year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

Wonder how many schools told them NO...

Depends on the year. I believe most schools evaluate on a year to year basis. A&M has played in the CBI. I think SMU played in one of them as well. Tulsa did. Usually it's new coach or very young team that not much was expected of. Most teams that expected to finish in the top 2 or 3 of their league decline anything but NIT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Call me a negative nellie, but $50,000 for basically an extra exhibition game or two? I'd rather them spend that money on private free throw lessons.

I've watched a team make a run at this.

It's easy to say "well that was pointless" if we get blasted out of the first round.  But if our team goes on a run, it can be electric.  It's the nature of these post-season tournaments.

BTW, the finals are best-of 3.  The finalists could potentially play 6 total games, which Wyoming did last year on their way to winning it.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Cooley said:

Wonder how many schools told them NO...

I dont have the link anymore, but on the local South Dakota paper's page with the story of the matchup, there was a list of teams that said no to CBI and CIT invites. SMU and ODU were both on the list.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I was very against these tournaments until I watched a four-year stretch of my other school go from CBI to CIT to NIT to NCAA.  In some odd way, it seems to create an expectation of post season play, and since you're gonna play in the post season, you may as well start ramping things up for the quality of post season you play. 

The pay to play for the home teams is ridiculous though.  I always look at the home teams in these tournaments and shake my head, thinking, "Man, you guys must be REALLY hard up for some self imposed kudos or something." 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I wish they would cut the CBI and CIT and just make the the NIT 64 teams. These tournaments cost money and rarely have teams that will catch the average college basketball fan eye. The NIT draws much more attention and is nationally televised. I understand UNT wouldn’t make the NIT, but enlarging that field gives more mid majors something to fight for and avoids that awkward moment where you have to pay to be in a tournament with sub par teams. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 6

11 hours ago, outoftown said:

This costs 50k? This seems steep and makes this look less like an achievement than buying entrance to the postseason

It's a bit of a joke tournament. As you can tell, there's no criteria except being invited and paying the 50k entrance fee. That's why the field is pretty unimpressive, most big schools pass immediately if it's not the NIT. In all seriousness, I understand the getting more experience part. It's just the pay to play thing that gets to me. Maybe I am wrong but I read that there is a 50K entrance fee no matter what, someone feel free to source alternative info. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2