Expectations for UNT in 2018 tourney?

Harry

Expectations for UNT in C-USA 2018 BBall Tourney?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Expectations for UNT in C-USA 2018 BBall Tourney

• No wins
    • Win 1st round game
    • Win Quarterfinal Game
    • Win Semifinal Game
    • Win Championship Game

Just FYI I put a first round win.  I know that some will want more and say I am setting our goal too low.    In my view that 1st win is critical.  If we lose the first game it would really sting badly and hurt the attendance.  I think this is a very important scenario for McCasland and the rebuild of our program.  

This team has proven they can beat anyone in the conference, unfortunately they have also shown anyone in the conference can beat them. 

A first round loss would be disappointing, but I don't think it is going to affect the program one way or another.  The same with one win, however if they could get two wins I think that would be a strong signal that a lot of progress has been made.  The biggest advantage, NT has is the number of very close games they have been involved in.  

CUSA is a strange league, in that prior year results and strong returning cast are not as meaningful as you would think.   It is more who can bring in the best new transfer.   NT should finish better in conference play next year, but they are going to have to get significantly better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

I respectfully disagree. 

What if someone doesn't consider tournament wins necessary to consider McCasland's first season a success?  What if someone else might consider winning 2 or more tourney games a successful season, but doesn't actually expect us to win any games?

As for me, I'm with CMJ--if we get a decent draw, I could see us winning one game, maybe two.  But to me, for McCasland to go .500 both overall and in conference is a relatively successful season in a rebuilding year, regardless of what we do in the conference tournament.  Anything above that is gravy.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

I would say just winning 7 games more this year, plus being competitive in most conference games would be enough

to say it has been a successful season. I would also mention that we are in the middle of the conference standings. This is 

a good indication that the barometer is heading in the right direction. Results in this tournament are gravy for first year of a 

rebuilding team. GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

I too think, that tendentially this season is already a success. What I expect from the tourney depends a bit on whether UNT manages to avoid being an 8 or 9 seed and avoids MTSU in round 2.

If UNT has MTSU in round 2, then losing in round two is sadly enough very likely. If UNT can get a 7 or 6 seed, then I kind of expect a second-round appearance at least and think there is a punchers chance in every round thereafter. That by itself is a big improvement from last season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Downvote 2